• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Storing gasoline

I use Starbrite Enzyme Stabilizer.....Prevents

1. water in fuel
2. Gum or Varnish
3. Octane loss

I have had un-useable fuel. I have added the Starbrite Enzyme stuff to it and Bam!!!

The engine ran and I used the whole 5 gallons...Now this fuel I did not use in my BMW but I could have....The lawn needed mowed so........it over rulled.

I have stored my bike 14 months with this stuff and when I start the engine.......first time!!!!! Incredible.........You might want to look into it.....I wish I invented the stuff!!:drink

Dennis Trovato
'08 R1200RT

If you really want to get creative and have the room just get a 500 gallon steel gas tank. You can have a local fuel "Jobber" deliver right to your house. You should be able to specify with your order that your want 100% gasoline and no ethanol. Gas stations have to put a minimum of 10% ethanol mix in their gas that is dispensed to the public for "On Road" use. You can use the gas from your bulk tank in your cars and motorcycle.

The reference in an earlier post to Winter and Summer blends actually pertains to diesel fuel and not gasoline. Diesel fuel needs to be winterized to prevent gelling.

To find a jobber look for a company that services farm and home heating accounts

:usa

Better check your zoning laws. For that much gasoline you'll probably need more than just the tank.

And there are summer/winter blends in gasoline as well as diesel fuel. It depends where you're located.

FYI - Sta-bil has a HIGH concentration of 'light oil' (kerosene) in it - not really as good for long-term storage of gasoline (hard on rubber) as their PR department would have you believe.

Check out comments made in the December issue of Rider ( in the Tech section) reference Sta-bil.

Suggest the StarBrite Star-Tron product! :deal

Last edited:
The reference in an earlier post to Winter and Summer blends actually pertains to diesel fuel and not gasoline. Diesel fuel needs to be winterized to prevent gelling.
:usa

And there are summer/winter blends in gasoline as well as diesel fuel. It depends where you're located.

MARKAZ is right on this. RVP is generally raised in the winter months for improved startability and lowered in the summer months for reduced chance of vapor lock and reduced evaporative emissions.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasolinefuels/volatility/index.htm

MARKAZ is right on this. RVP is generally raised in the winter months for improved startability and lowered in the summer months for reduced chance of vapor lock and reduced evaporative emissions.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasolinefuels/volatility/index.htm

We'll I guess depending on where you live they blend diffrently. Here in MI there's no difference in Winter/Summer gasoline blends. And here if you're bulk storage is less than 1200 gallons you don't have to have containment as long as its UL142 listed.

We'll I guess depending on where you live they blend diffrently. Here in MI there's no difference in Winter/Summer gasoline blends.

I believe you will find that it depends on where you are in Michigan.

from http://www.epa.gov/oms/fuels/gasolinefuels/volatility/standards.htm :

State County/ Parish City Month & RVP PSI Max
May Jun Jul Aug Sep 1-15
MI Lenawee 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI Livingston 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI Macomb 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI Monroe 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI Oakland 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI St. Clair 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI Washtenaw Ann Arbor 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI Wayne Detroit 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
MI All others 9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0

A State has received a waiver under Clean Air Act 211(c)(4)(C) to adopt a state fuel program, more stringent than federal requirements, into the federally-approved State Implementation Plan (SIP). State fuel program may also define a volatility level and compliance date for refiners and/or terminals different than the compliance date for retailers. Potentially affected parties should refer to the SIP or contact the State for more information about proper compliance.

see also:
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/A-crash-course-on-seasonal-gasoline/1715-401024-239.aspx
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/summer-fuel1.htm

Good suggestion!

It would probably be a good idea to take a look at your insurance policy to see if storing it voids the policy.

E.

As a former Fire Marshal and Arson Investigator, I'd say that it's very unlikely that your home insurance policy has any specific language about storage of relatively small (like 50 gallons) of gas at your residence. BUT, there might be some very crafty small print somewhere in the policy that gives the company an 'escape clause' for contributing factors in the event of a fire. (How many of us have more than 50 gallons of gas inside a garage? Between my truck, car, motorcycle, small mower, riding mower, emergency generator, and two five gallon cans, i have about 65+ gallons in the garage tonight...)

But the cautions about HOA's and local zoning ordinances could be a problem, depending on the locale. Besides being an ex fire service guy, I also worked at one time delivering products for a small petroleum bulk plant in Nevada. Had a ton of customers with 150-200 gallon storage tanks on racks (outside) at their homes/farms. That was a pretty 'normal' thing back in those days. But that was mostly a rural situation...if that's your case I don't think there would be much concern. :whistle

Cheers!

The farm

We had a 300 gal tank at the farm. This was back in the day of no ethanol in gas and our tank was filled by the local distributor twice a year. Never had a problem.

I fill up my 6 gallon plastic gas cans [4] every month.

Back