• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 K1200RS Parabellum Super Tour Windshield

surfajoe

Aloha ka kou
I've been thinking of getting a touring windshield & wondered if anyone out there has one & can offer an evaluation. I've been to several rallies & so far, have only seen one K1200RS with a touring windshield.
Mahalo for your thoughts

I too am looking for a good touring windshield that does not buffet the helmet for 6'3" rider on an '03 K12RS. Hoping we get some good suggestions.

try an LT... seriously...
OR..
try a very short windshield that allows your head and shoulders to be above the boundary air flow. My 2 cents.

NCS

I also ride a '03 K1200RS and I put on a tall Parabellum windshield.

While I am only 5' 11", coming from a '88K100LT with a rather wide and tall ClearView shield, I do miss the better touring protection it offered.

The Parabellum I have (largest one offered, GT version since I have the GT handguards on my fairing) I run in the up position and my seat in the low position. I can see over it by about 2" looking straight out. I wish at times it was both taller and wider. I get light breeze on the outside of both arms. Nice in the warm weather but it does require a good wind resistance coat in the cold weather, a bit more than my K100LT did. I do ride in the cooler weather a lot, commuting 120 miles each day leaving for work at 4:30 am. I tend to ride till the morning are below freezing, I hate black ice! Riding with a electric inner jacket at the middle setting I am good for hours of riding in the 30's.

http://www.tubarks.com/Bike/pages/P1140702.htm

try an LT... seriously...
OR..
try a very short windshield that allows your head and shoulders to be above the boundary air flow. My 2 cents.

NCS
LT is a bit heavy IMO and I am looking to keep this bike.
Had thought about a shorty but we get some cold rides up in Canada and its nice to hide behind the shield on those trips

I ride an 01 KRS, with the larger Parabellum shield and have a optional laminar lip attached to the top, and it provides great wind protection to the head. I've tried the Air Flow , and in fact have the regular size available to sell (with mounting hardware) because I didn't like the wind management on my head. Provided much better wind around my hands , but I guess I'm too tall for the standard height screen.... I have to admit, I am pretty sold on the Parabellum as I did get a crack on it in the first 200 miles of riding, (got caught behind some road equipment) but Parabellum covered the damage with a warranty screen, so I'm back up to speed. I'd take some pictures of the screen with the Laminar lip attached, but it's too late and I'd wake up the house hold doing so.. Let me know if you'd like some pic's and I'll try to post tomorrow....
I will say, I am much like you as I like to ride down to the middle teens before backing off until it warms up. but in Missouri, we always get days in between the really cold weather, so I rarely go more than a couple of days without riding.... Gerbing gear is great to make up the equalizer with old man winter....:thumb

2001 k1200rs

have the OEM windshield and an Aeroflow with a homemade mount. I am 6'1" and it works remarkably well even though it is probably about 1" too low. I no longer need earplugs, am much warmer in the winter, and can really hear the bike behind this buffer. I haven't had the bike long so I am tweaking out my ergonomics a bit.

Lakerider - I am interested in the homemade mount that you have for the Aeroflow shield. Any photos available on the mount? Wonder if a homemade setup can be created on the newer RS/GT's 02'05 years for the Aeroflow shields which are still available?

I am interested in a winter shield for my '03RS which I basically transformed in to a GT plus extras. low to Mid 20's for hour long rides in the dark @75mph, my hands tend to get a might chilly. yes I know I can elect to get electric gloves http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Not sure if all you interested folks have found your solutions or not, so I figured I would weigh in....as far as the heated grips, my hands are warmer on my K13S with no hand protection and just those heated grips versus the K12RS with OEM replaced grips and Aeroflow handguards meant for the R12C.

I have two Aeroflow screens (lost one, ordered a new one and the old one literally fell on my head the next day when in the storage unit...). I have a shorter (sport? in smoke tint) one and a Tall. My seat is a Corbin that is about between the low and high position, I am 180 lbs, 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I get little or no buffeting when the Tall screen is in the up position, I can barely see over it. Anytime other than freeway riding, I have it in the low position, even then, it is sort of in the line of sight for tight twisties. For me on this bike, I now prefer either this tall screen or the stock screen in the low position. Anything else and I get lots of buffeting at speed. My wife prefers the tall screen in the up position when riding two up.

Back