Thread: info needed on bleeding abs on 1999 R1200C

info needed on bleeding abs on 1999 R1200C

I want to do a complete flush on my 1999 R1200C, I did a search and did not find anything. I think I have ABS 2. Can anyone point me to a "how-to" for a complete flush including the ABS unit?

Thumbs up R1200C maintenance

Lots of info here

http://pokiespages.com

Brake fluid change here

http://pokiespages.com/pokie/fluids.htm

very nice for R1200C owners
    2000 R1100RT, 2005 R1150RT-P, 2008 R1200RT, R1200C

pokies page

Thanks for the link Landfellow. Pokie does not cover bleeding the abs unit.
    Last edited by GSGSGS; 11-02-2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I don't know anything about the cruisers but if you are sure it has ABS 2 then bleeding the ABS unit would be done the same way as it is on the early oilheads. And that is done just like a brake caliper. There are two bleed screws on the ABS unit itself which is under the tank on an RT so I suppose it might be there on a cruiser too. One is for the front wheel circuit and the other for the rear.

A good document on repair of the ABS unit that has a photo of hte where each bleed screw is can be found on the ADV site right here: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...20II%20D&A.pdf

A link for chromeheads from the MOA links and resources forum page here: http://www.chromeheads.org/

Hope this helps.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Feel free to join us at www.Chromeheads.org and you can learn all about bleeding your ABS system from some of the most knowlegable cruiser owners in the world.
    Hope to see you there soon.
    Larry

P.S. I've owned my '02 "C" for about 7 years now and have never had the need to bleed the actual ABS unit. Unless something is really wrong, you really should only need to bleed from the calipers and that's it. Most who bleed the actual unit have either integrated ABS with servo brakes (later models than '98), or a bad problem.
    Last edited by rocketmanli; 11-02-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanli View Post
    Feel free to join us at www.Chromeheads.org and you can learn all about bleeding your ABS system from some of the most knowlegable cruiser owners in the world.
    Hope to see you there soon.
    Larry

P.S. I've owned my '02 "C" for about 7 years now and have never had the need to bleed the actual ABS unit. Unless somethign is really wrong, you really should only need to bleed from the calipers and that's it. Most who bleed the actual unit have either integrated ABS with servo brakes (later models than '98), or a bad problem.
    Actually it's a good idea to bleed the ABS unit itself periodically. Especially if you don't "exercise" it regularly. I bled mine out after bleeding the brakes and was surprised to find a good quantity of old brown fluid came out. It isn't hard to do once the tank is off. Just hook up the bleed hose and open the bleeder just like on a caliper, pump, close bleeder, release, open bleeder, pump, close bleeder ... until it flows clear. Replace fluid in the master cylinder as usual.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

thanks

Thanks to all!