• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need Advice on how to proceed with an oil consumption problem with my BMW.

How often do you top up your oil?

I ask because some bikes don't like to be completely full. They will burn off some oil, perhaps down to the center of the site glass, and then stop. If your bike is one of these, and you top up every time you see the oil below the top line, you may just be burning that off.

What he said, sometimes even a little below center. Mine is an 1100, and the higher I keep the oil, the faster it consumes it.

How often do you top up your oil?

I ask because some bikes don't like to be completely full. They will burn off some oil, perhaps down to the center of the site glass, and then stop. If your bike is one of these, and you top up every time you see the oil below the top line, you may just be burning that off.

He did say that he ran it until the light came on. That sounds lower than the minimum amount. Otherwise, I agree with your thought. That is how I regulate the oil level on my airheads albeit with a dip stick. No one has mentioned the type of oil used. Never having owned a new BMW, I may be off base but was the break-in done with petroleum base and if you switched to synthetic, when? If you're running synthetic, try switching to petroleum. Maybe.....

was the break-in done with petroleum base and if you switched to synthetic, when? If you're running synthetic, try switching to petroleum. Maybe.....

The OP states he has always used BMW dino oil.

Not knowing your location, it is rather difficult to suggest an alternate dealer.

Have you asked your current dealer to do compression and leak down tests?

Not knowing your location, it is rather difficult to suggest an alternate dealer.

Have you asked your current dealer to do compression and leak down tests?

I gave them the bike and asked them to do a compression and a leak down test. They did the compression test, it came back good. They didn't even bother with the leak down test. The left side showed 225LBS and the Right showed 215LBS according to them. I've bought a compression tester and I am about to double check the results. According to the research I have been able to find online

Compression Test Pressure for my bike is as follows. Good = 10 bar or greater; Normal is 8.5 to 10.0 bar ; poor is 8.5 bar or lower.

Oil can get into the combustion chamber by blowing past the rings OR by being sucked in on the intake stroke by way of faulty or MISSING valve stem seals. Valve stem seal problems won't show up on a compression test.

Oil can get into the combustion chamber by blowing past the rings OR by being sucked in on the intake stroke by way of faulty or MISSING valve stem seals. Valve stem seal problems won't show up on a compression test.

Valve stem seals would have to me missing for this bike to use that much oil.

Here is a different thought. You have always used BMW dino oil. Next oil change, try something different. I know it should not make any difference, but I have had engines in the past that burned more or leaked more of certain oils than others. It is worth a try.

It is possible that they ARE missing. I have taken apart car engines to replace head gaskets and found that the factory left one of them out. This happened on Jeep 3.7 and Dodge 4.7 engines. The machining was so good that they sometimes lasted 50,000 miles with a missing head gasket. A co-worker has a brand new Honda CR-V and it had an oil consumtion problem that turned out to be missing valve stem seals on one cylinder. BMW is not immune to human error in the manufacturing process. It's easy enough to check by pulling the valve covers. If it were mine I would bull the spark plugs out and take the valve covers off, then use a smoke machine to put smoke in the crankcase, if it leaks out the spark plug holes, rings, if it comes out of the valve seals then ther's the problem. I do realize however that not everyone has acces to a smoke machine ( every car dealer in the U.S. has one by now).

Back