• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trigger Wire for Centech 2007 R1200RT

redcat43

redcat43
I have a 2007 R1200RT. I would like to install a Centech fuse block. Can anyone explain in detail what a "trigger wire" is and how to hook it up to either the accessory port or parking light? Photos would be nice.

If you're not savvy with wring, the Twisted Throttle fuze panel or identical Fuzeblock are the easiest and most flexible to install because all the parts are on the panel, including the relay needed.

To do a Centech correctly on a BMW, you first need all the right parts- that includes the AP-1 or AP-2 as you prefer, plus the harness with the relay.

Right now I'm removing a kludge install done by some previous owner of a bike I bought who simply tied the fuse panel direct to the bike wiring without a relay setup.

Th trigger wire is the wire you install to serve as the signal to the relay to turn that power to the fuse panel on/off when the bike is on/off. It can be connected to the following locations.
1) Parking light
2) Rear accesory outlet wiring
3) Diagnostic plug wiring
4) Starter relay wiring

There are threads on the site you can find by search, many with pics.

Yeah... what Racer7 said. He knows his stuff.

The only thing I would add is that, in my case, I did not want to have a delay off function on my switched power. The main reason is that I want the Zumo to ask as soon as I power the bike off if I want the Zumo to remain on (via internal battery) or switch off. Some power sources on the bike remain on for a minute or more.

I used the front parking light to trigger my FuzeBlock.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Thanks for the help. I guess my question really boils down to the actual connection for the relay. Do you clip the power wire to the parking light and then solder or wire nut the trigger wire and both cut ends of the parking light power wire all together? Visualize a "Y" where all three ends are tied together.

I don't know what the actual connecting device looks like. Do you jam both the parking light power wire and the trigger wire into the same place in the parking light plug...or are there parallel openings in the plug, like this ::: ? I wish there was a way here to draw a sketch.

Remember, I'm a mechanical guy...electrics and electronics are mysteries to me.

Thanks for the help. I guess my question really boils down to the actual connection for the relay.

The relay has several terminals (typically 5). They are usually numbered.

Terminal 85... the trigger... wired to your parking light (or in my case, the headlight).
Terminal 86... ground.
Terminal 30... power input... wired directly to your battery (fused close to the battery).
Terminal 87... switched output... wired to your centech.

The other terminal is 87A. It is the opposite of 87. Leave it disconnected.

Does that answer your question?

5-pin relay.jpg

MarchyMan...thanks for the schematics, that should do it for me. Thanks to all who replied. Maybe someone can add the schematics or a photo showing this to the already great information on the sub-forum.

redcat
No insults intended- just a warning and caution.
Your questions make clear you don't understand how the setup really works and a wrong power connection short has the potential to damage your bike or burn up some wire...
So pay very careful attention to marchymans note and diagram and don't make any errors- you might want to get some help from a buddy who does this stuff regularly...

Some additional info for a good job- with a little repetition.
If you buy the Centech relay harness and socket, the wires are color coded (as is the Twistd Throttle stuff). Color codes make it easier to ID wires and get them in the right place and relay sockets have an important purpose beside holding the relay- they ensure that wires go on (and back on if removed for work) only the correct relay terminal- avoiding accidental wire swaps after an installation. They also help ensure against connectors vibrating lose- the mtliple connectors in the socket make a very secure connection.
Good commecial harnesses hae a fuse in the power lead close to the battery- if you make your own harness you need to include a fuse in the circuit.

The biggest nuisance to doing this type of work is getting panels off the bike and taking the time to make an install neat and safe by properly looming and tieing down wires so you don't have a birds nest of junk when you're done. Once you've done one- well, any future ones are about the same and will go a bunch faster. (Just be aware that while the relay terminal number system noted by marchyman is in common use, not all relays have the same number pin in the same location so repairs, relays swaps, etc always need to verify pin numbers. Numbers are typically stamped on the relay case as are other symbols or part numbers identifying the type, function, power capacity, etc)

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional cautions Racer. I'm really hard to insult so of course I didn't take any offense.

I had to remove all the plastic on the throttle side to change the air filter and that was pretty simple. The photos in the Tech Sub-Forum piece "R1200RT - Nacelle (fairing) Removal and Accessory Wire Run" were really helpful in that respect, but they didn't really get into how the green wire in the photos was connected to a switched power receptacle.

I have always installed a fused pigtail harness directly to the battery on any of the bikes I've had in order to use for connecting a battery tender or heated jacket or DC air compressor...that procedure is darned hard to mess up. However, I've never wired into any existing receptacle in order to add any accessories so any and all advice from the good folks on this forum is really appreciated.

Redcat,

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - imagine how many more people might open the thread who own RT's with that info in the thread title. And picking a trigger wire is very much model specific..

I'm adding it to your title - please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums!

Thanks for your cooperation.

Trigger wire

Sorry if this is covered in some of the links but if you haven't used it already, you probably have a plug available for the trigger circuit in the harness that BMW installs to power their GPS. You can buy a pigtail with a BMW connector that will plug into it without having to splice into it. Another poster mentioned it as the one that shuts off after a minute delay or so. Look up near the steering head for it.

CycleNutz Relay Harness

Will this CycleNutz harness do the trick? It seems to be the simplest and most straight forward way to connect a trigger wire.

http://www.cyclenutz.com
Ezy-Mount Plug N Play Parking Lamp Switched Power Interface
Item Id: EZY_PNP-SWTCHPOWER

2007 BMW R1200RT

That's almost $30 just to make a wire connection that can be done with any piece of wire and quick connect. Easy, yes, but not exactly necessary...
Were I doing this (and I am, replacing a poor Centech install on a K1200) using parts from CycleNutz, I'd buy the Fuzebock and its optional harness or just get the same item from Twisted Throttle. All you need to do then is connect the coded harness in the right places while protecting with your favorite type of connectors.

Do you have your fuse panel and harness needed yet? It will be easiest to use harness and panel from same maker, with matching instructions...Centech harnesses are specific to whether you have an AP-1 or AP-2 re their current limit though the heavier duty one can be swapped for the lighter duty one.

Back