• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike shipping Company

mohan0

mohan0
anyone out there recommend a company to ship bike within the usa thinking of shipping the bike to salem next year and then riding back home

I shipped my RT with Federal from NC to California, around $650 I think. They were great, did an excellent job, and you can track it along the way. The truck came to my house and they loaded it on a pallet, no hassles. They give discounts for AMA and other clubs.

bike shipping

anyone out there recommend a company to ship bike within the usa thinking of shipping the bike to salem next year and then riding back home

That would be my preference. Ship the bike out and then ride back. Would you be willing to share what you find out and perhaps work with others of us from NH?

Louise

I bought a bike in California early this spring and had it shipped here to Michigan using Allied Van Lines. They are a national carrier. They have a 53' trailer built specifically for shipping bikes and sidecars. They furnish a metal pallet that has built in tie-downs. Yes, I would use them again.

I bought a bike in California early this spring and had it shipped here to Michigan using Allied Van Lines. They are a national carrier. They have a 53' trailer built specifically for shipping bikes and sidecars. They furnish a metal pallet that has built in tie-downs. Yes, I would use them again.

Federal is Allied Van Lines. If you go to their web, it says something like "Agent for Allied VL." It was an Allied truck that showed up for my bike, with a setup like you describe. So I don't know if you can save money going direct to Allied, but I'd go with the cheapest quote since the actual carrier of your bike is Allied either way.

Chicago group?

My plans are changing, now I'm considering having my bike shipped to Portland or Salem, and riding back.

Anyone else interested in maybe finding finding a common shipper?

Ship to the rally site?

If anyone is planning on shipping, where would you ship to? Would the rally site accept the bikes?

Other options?

Shipping...........

I've had motorcycles shipped via the Van Lines on multiple occasions. Time restraints and making it cost effective all come into play so having a common carrier or mover do it might be your only option.

I've bought & sold bikes where it wasn't feasible to pick up or deliver them so shipping was my only alternative. I recently had 2 bikes shipped from Milwaukee Wi. One went to San Diego a GSA and the other to Las Vegas Nv. a HD full dresser. They were both under $600.00 each with full value damage protection. Both moves went smooth as glass and both bikes arrived on time and unscathed.

I was also in on a whole truck move from here to Seattle Wa. with a local HOG Chapter and transportation & airfare was only $415.00. Transportation to and from the airports on both ends was also included. The truck held 33 bikes safely on special motorcycle pallets. I personally would stay away from a carrier that isn't equipped with special motorcycle pallets. They travel safer when the wheels are securely mounted in wheel chocks and the bikes can't rock back & forth.

Having said that I'm a ex owner operator with United Van Lines in Fenton Mo. so I'd also like to reccomend them as a reputable carrier. The agent I was with moves hundreds if not thousands of bikes all over the country. Being located in the Milwaukee Wi. area I'm sure you can guess what brand of bikes they are. They also move the Progressive Motorcycle Show so they're thoroughly experienced in moving motorcycles and other high dollar items.

Which ever carrier you end up using usually has a local agent in the vicinity so having them drop shipped there might be an option. Be specific with your dates and get all of the details down on paper and stay with a major carrier. Be sure to book early as Summer is prime time in the moving industry and the trucks fill up fast.

It's never to early to make arrangements so good luck and see you in Daytona. Yeah I'm going to trailer it there to since we're still suffering from Olde Man Winter. What did the Ground Hog say and where's he at now?

Ride Safe,
P

PS: If anyone is interested in the name of the UVL Agent send me a PM.

I used Keyboard M/C shipping to ship from Chicago to Northern New Jersey. They were great. Most shippers will tell you they need to ship to a M/C dealer address. I imagine this is so they can be certain that a tractor-trailer rig can access the destination? After all, dealers get large truck shipments and the driver doesn't want to get stuck in some small local streets. I used a dealer a few mles from my home, but the Keyboard driver thankfully called me a couple of times giving me a progress update when he entered NJ. During one of those calls I asked him to divert to a vacant VFW parking lot- very large lot, multiple entry/exits- two blocks from my home, and he agreed. All went very smoothly, they had the metal pallets with tie-downs too, and a liftgate on the trailer. I did nothing but hop on and ride home.

DO NOT use UShip- they're a bunch of jobbers with trucks that get assigned jobs by the company. I sold my BMW CLC and the buyer used UShip and the trucker had a faulty lift gate and no pallets! He was just a redneck with a truck. When the bike arrived, it had fallen over which caused $6K in damage!

Uship...

This is a load brokering web site, people bid on the loads available, and the lowest bid wins. Thats the simple explanation.

I used that site to get my GSA moved from KC to Chicago. I set the rules for the bidders on my listing. If I remember correctly, the bidders needed to prove experience in hauling high end motorcycles, proven customer satisfaction, and enclosed trailer. I dismissed several bidders because they were either unreliable, brokers or just dodgy looking.

In the end I got a GREAT guy to bring my machine back from KC. If you are diligent and careful, you can find a pro. I did.

If anyone is planning on shipping, where would you ship to? Would the rally site accept the bikes?

Other options?

From the "Rally Train" page on the "All Things Rally - 2013 Salem, Oregon" link:

Ship to: BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon, 12010 Southwest Garden Place, Tigard, OR 97223, Phone: 503-597-7097, http://www.bmcwor.com. BMW of W. OR offers to receive and hold motorcycles prior to and/or after the 2013 BMW MOA International Rally. Their offer is as follows:

- $140 flat fee for this service per two-wheeled motorcycle, $200 flat fee for trikes and sidecars.

- Fee must be prepaid.

- Reservations are a must as space is limited, so this offer is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

For this service, we will provide:

- Receipt of the vehicle from a shipping company.

- Storage of the vehicle at the facility for up to five days.

- Each motorcycle will receive a multi-point safety inspection for no additional charge.

- Storage of the vehicle at the facility for up to five days.

- Shipping arrangements and fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.

- We can accommodate servicing of the vehicle (i.e. tires, oil changes, annual inspections, mileage driven services, etc.) before or after the rally when arranged in advance. To ensure that we can complete your requested services, please make arrangements no later than 6/15/13.

Questions about this offer should be directed to Scott Russell at 503-597-7097 or to srussell@emcwor.com.

Back