• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hazard lights?

jmerlino

Stressed Member
One thing I've always wanted on my bikes is hazard lights. Basically, having all four turn signal lights flashing at once. Some newer bikes I've seen have 'em.

This can't be a hard mod. All one would need to do, I would think, is just find a way to activate both turn signals simultaneously. I could add a switch to the handlebars - that's no problem.

So... anybody ever done this? Got maybe a link to a site with a diagram or description? Ideas?

I believe that BMW sells a kit for the airheads that will do what you want. It's probably a plug and play kit.

I got the following part number from the ETK for a 82 R100RT.

61 31 1 243 590

INSTALLING SET HAZARD WARNING

The diagram shows a switch, relay, diode, wiring harness and assorted mounting hardware.

The BMW kit is best.

It has the following feature, which you really need.

Ignition must be on to activate 4-way flashers. It can then be turned off, and flashers will still work.

Flashers cannot be activated with ignition off. (saves your battery from vandals)

This requires a diode in the system.

This is a kit that may become NLA. Check Motobins among others.

I installed a switch that shorted the left and right turn signals together when I wanted four-way flashers. Did this on the R69S, 74 R90/6, 78 R100/7. Need to do it on the recently purchased 91 R100RT. Have never needed to replace a flasher.

;)

Ray Melosh said:
I installed a switch that shorted the left and right turn signals together when I wanted four-way flashers. Did this on the R69S, 74 R90/6, 78 R100/7. Need to do it on the recently purchased 91 R100RT. Have never needed to replace a flasher.

;)

This sounds like exactly what I'm after. Can you elaborate? Does the switch go before or after the turn signal switch?

kioolt said:
I believe that BMW sells a kit for the airheads that will do what you want. It's probably a plug and play kit.

I purchased the OEM BMW kit from Bob's BMW in Maryland three years ago and highly recommend it. It includes a diode, a second relay, wiring harness and instructions and is completely plug and play. On my RT there's even a blank hole in the relay board under the tank for the new relay. The switch replaces the blank in the center of the plastic handlebar cover -- all very slick.

Back