• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My Wife's first motorcycle trip and her "Biker Stories From the Road"

Biker Stories from the Road Wrap up- September 30, 2011

Today we woke up to fog so we didn't leave until after 10 and it was sunny and near freezing cool.
We left Detroit Lakes and headed up scenic highway 34 to Walker MN. We then took highway 200 to Remer and highway 6 to Grand Rapids.

Trip%2520Pics%2520368.jpg

Trip%2520Pics%2520352.jpg

Trip%2520Pics%2520378.jpg

The fall colours are beautiful right now. From Grand Rapids we took another scenic highway 38 to Effie and this route took us through the Chippewa National Forest right during the "Fall Colours Tour" time and it was amazing. They have alot of maple trees in that area and there were so many reds and oranges among the yellows ... it was really pretty. The highways 34 and 38 are both windy with some hills so cruising on a motorcycle was lots of fun.

Trip%2520Pics%2520356.jpg

Trip%2520Pics%2520359.jpg

Trip%2520Pics%2520362.jpg

Trip%2520Pics%2520370.jpg

We highly recommend exploring that area.

The "electrics" (that is biker lingo, haha) really paid off today.

Warming up in the sun
Trip%2520Pics%2520382.jpg

The temp got as high as 12.5 but on the way home it got down to 4.0 in the low areas on the Fort Frances highway and that was cold. Our feet were cold by the time we got home.

Map of todays ride

Day%252014%2520Detroit%2520Lakes%2520to%2520Dryden.png

5,777 kilometers in total! We pulled into our driveway at 7pm on Friday Sept 30th and that is what the GPS odometer read ... amazing!
Here are the other GPS stats: (Garth turned off the GPS everynight when we were done riding for the day and turned it on every morning when we were ready to get going.)
68 hours 41 minutes moving
41 hours 39 minutes stopped (for lunch and breaks etc.)
overall average speed was 52.4 kilometers per hour
moving average speed was 84.1 kilometers per hour
maximum speed reached was 119 kilometers per hour
13 day trip
2 provinces and 5 states

It was such an awesome trip! You know 5 years ago if someone would have told me that the year I turned 50 I would own a motorcycle and take it on a cross country trip I would have told them that they were nuts!

Biker Stories from the Road - Conclusion

So that ends our first big motorcycle trip together. I must say it was a great experience and we both looked forward to doing it again.

In 2012 we set off for another trip that would take us through Glacier parks Going to the Sun road, The mountains of British Columbia, Vancouver island and whale watching and the infamous Duffy lake road along with several of the best motorcycle roads in western Canada.

That report will be coming next as Denise carries on with her Biker Stories from the Road.

:lurk

Really enjoying your report. Hope to ride through some of this area next summer.

Continued safe travels. :thumb
We really like the time of year we went through. Most of this is high tourist attraction. Going after Sept labour day long weekend there was far less traffic and the weather was perfect.

Really enjoyed traveling along with you!

Thanks for taking the time to share.:clap:clap:clap

Voni
sMiling

Back