• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My First Hurricane

bigsur52

04 1150RS
Well, it's time to move on from the 1st eartquake in Maine to the 1st hurricane in NYC. Let the party begin!

Looks like it is going to be a good one!
Good luck to you and everyone on the east coast. Get those bikes to high ground.....
John

Just don't take it too lightly. There is a lot of potential for major infrastructure damage. Flooding and high winds will take down old growth trees, especially oaks, like bowling pins.
Good luck to all you folks in the affected areas.

Just don't take it too lightly. There is a lot of potential for major infrastructure damage. Flooding and high winds will take down old growth trees, especially oaks, like bowling pins.
Good luck to all you folks in the affected areas.

I have a few huge oak trees hanging over the back of the house. At this moment the wind is blowing like stink, the trees are bending and the house is creaking, but my motorcycles are safe and dry in the garage under the front of the house. I'm one of the lucky ones that still has electricity. But thinking about those trees, maybe I'll sleep in the front bedroom!

Well, I've been very lucky with this storm so far. I put my bike in early winter storage last friday before the storm, so it's OK. Our apartment is in a neighborhood on high ground (upper west side), so no flooding and the electricity never went off.

Sounds like parts of the subway system and river tunnels in sad shape; could make getting around the city problematic for some time.

We're pretty used to these things where I live in NC but we also don't have all the added problems that go with living in overbuilt, ovecrowded urban areas.
Flooding alwys does way more damage than wind until you get to much higher winds than Sandy.
Beware those trees- they fall when the ground gets saturated and weakens their grip and you really don't want one on your house. Here, the savvy folks cut all the loblolly pine overhanging houses- they're dangerous pulp trees that don't do well in storms- our oaks are generally tough enough to do OK. Watch for live down power if you're out and around afterward.

Hope all you guys have done well with nothing more than whatever inconveniences caused by power outages...

not as much rain as they predicted here but very high winds here. we never lost power but the damn wind did some damage

147057709.jpg

147057729.jpg

Old and / or not very well done roofing job to lose it in winds that low. Hope the amount of water that got in was minimal and cleanup is easy.
Hurricanes do have a way of locating the construction weaknesses and flaws in various builds. I once got 50 gal of water driven right through a brick wall by 120 mph winds.
The spots that allowed it to happen were so tiny it took me several hours of looking over 2 days to find and fix them and they turned out to be 2 "freeze cracks", each in a separate brick and not really visible but detected first by feel. Repair by a couple inches of silicon seal in a few seconds and never leaked again. Would never have guessed such almost invisible damage could leak so much water....

Back