• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

VW Camper/ Rally Camping

bmwcliff

Hi, This is our first Rally and we plan on bringing and camping in our restored 71 VW Camper with the original Add-on tent. We were planning on parking it in the quiet camping area but were not sure if this area was for tents only? We wish to set up in the grass, will bring a pan/cookiesheet to put under the oil pan in case of leaks. Also, were planning on arriving on Wed. and being available thurs. to help with registration, who do we need to contact to let them know/volunteer. Open to veterans advice, wish to do the right thing by all. :dunno

bmwcliff said:
Hi, This is our first Rally and we plan on bringing and camping in our restored 71 VW Camper with the original Add-on tent. We were planning on parking it in the quiet camping area but were not sure if this area was for tents only?

Sorry, but you guessed correctly - quiet camping is for tents only. Please email the Lampe's for more information. We can probably find a place for your rig, but it won't be in with the motorcyclists who bring their tents on their bikes. :)

Sue

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
We can probably find a place for your rig, but it won't be in with the motorcyclists who bring their tents on their bikes. :)Sue

Thank God! You are listening.:clap

I hope the "Riders" get the best camping spots, close to shade, bathroom, showers ect.ect.ect. :thumb

Maybe an area for RVr's with pets. :dog

WHAT? An honest to God restored VW Campmobile, from the Fatherland, with and air-cooled boxer engine, forced to park with run-of-the-mill ARE-VEES. The horror. :cry

bmwrider@beer said:
Pictures..where are the pictures...

Try these . I've had a love for these babies ever since my family spent 1960-61 in a Westfalia "Deluxe-Kombie" in Europe starting with picking it up at the factory and ending with bringing it home on the steamship and driving it cross country home.
61-cvr.jpg

I think that guy sitting on the beach is wearing the sides to that tent!

I owned a '74 VW passenger van several years ago. I loved that thing! Also had a '80 Vanagon, a couple of Beetles and a Jetta diesel. All of them were a kick to drive.

Ahhhhh yes, I remember these. Back in the late '80's I had a very unrestored '71 VW Camper. It was great to use in warmer weather for scuba trips (sleeping in the back near dive sites, changing out of gear) but it was _not_ the thing to have for Wisconsin inters. The heat was just a dim memory by the time it got to the driver compartment.

After getting rid of it I really the appreciated the benefits of water-cooled motors and functioning heaters.

>The heat was just a dim memory by the time it got to the driver compartment.

That's why the old ones came with lovely gasoline heaters by Webasto. Put some cedar planking up on the walls, get a box of rocks and a bucket of water and you got yourself a bleedin' SAUNA.

VW's

The VW van is a great alternative for some one that isnÔÇÖt able to ride In. there was a couple of vwÔÇÖs at spoken last year. The RV camping wasnÔÇÖt crowded or far form the action. There wasnÔÇÖt a lot of shad there for most camping. It sounds like lot of fun.

See you there
:drink

VW Camping

I am planning on riding in my Rockster "LINDY", but my wife will be following in the red 71 VW Camper,"LUCY". Since restoration, we have yet to camp in it for more than one night, so the Rally was the perfect opportunity to get away with just me and the wife. As we speak it is undergoing some engine analysis, was running a bit rough, but we invite everyone to stop by to check "LUCY" out, she is a beauty, as is my lovely wife of 23+ years. Look forward to seeing you all, as this is our first Rally.

shuber said:
Ahhhhh yes, I remember these. Back in the late '80's I had a very unrestored '71 VW Camper. It was great to use in warmer weather for scuba trips (sleeping in the back near dive sites, changing out of gear).

As cool as the old VW campers were I was surprised that when the min-van craze took over wee didn't see another pop-up van/camper. On a cheap and common Voyager it could only be better, even if it lacked a boxer soul.

Back