• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2009 BMW R1200RT - Battery Trickle Charger

Thanks for the info on the fuse block. That said, do you know if the canbus BMWs also have fuses?

Yes and no. Most items are not fused -- the various system controllers monitor current draw on the circuits they power and cut off power if draw is excessive. They will try again the next time the bike is started. They may try again after some amount of time; at least it seems to work that way with the accessory port.

If you have a GS Adventure model the fog lights have separate fuses. Those are the only fuses I'm aware or. All models, I believe, have a starter relay.

I use a christmas tree light timer on my smart chargers to limit the time ON to about 1 hour per day. No need for them to cycle on and off 24 hrs a day.

Sears has these for about $30 and I have several of 'em. I wire directly to battery and zip tie the lead somewhere I can easily plug in the smart charger/monitor.

9990000048903911.jpg

Wall timers are fine but don't let the use of a timer influence charger choice.

Modern gel and AGM batteries(BMW stock batteries are gel type for many models) of course do not reuire that you add water periodically like older style floodd batteries. But they still contain bound water which is increasing changed to its composite gases, hydrogen and oxygen, when a bettery is heading into overcharge or subjected to charge voltages of older chargers for excessive periods. These battteries do have a catlayst to recombine the gases and minmize water loss because too much water loss will kill one easily- but the its not 100% effective in some cases or may just malfunction.

Correct chargers for modern batteries all need to have the ability to shut off the charge automatically, not reduce it, not go to a trickle or anything else but shut it off. (Their monitoring function will still be working).

Some ofolks still have oldeer style trickle or transformer chargers without full sutomatic shutoff- leaving a ike battery connected to one of these permanently when not using the bike can kill as battery.

All of the new electronic cargers have auto shutoff but if you've got 10 yr old trickle or transformer types in your garage, they might well cost you a battery if left connected for storage.

Thanks to all that posted. Found the comments educational.
This what I ended up doing.
Went to the local BMW dealer here in Calgary and was told that they do not recommend the BMW battery charger due to price, but highly recommended the Optimate 4 with male socket adapter. There are two on the 2009 R1200RT, one at the left front and towards the rear left tail.
Now here's my question in what I understood the parts guy telling me how to connect this up. The male plug in adapter needs to be hooked into the Optimate 4 unit then plug into the 110 electrical outlet. Is this correct?
Sorry for the silly question.

If you are plugging your charger into the BMW power outlets (AND they are not wired directly to the battery or to the battery through a fuse panel), then you will need to trick the CANbus to maintain a connection between the BMW power outlet and the battery. To do so, plug your charger into the BMW power outlet either with the bike running or before switching off the ignition and then plug your charger into your wall socket (110v).

I did this for a while until I wired up the outlets through an Eastern Beaver fuse panel to bypass the CANbus. The sequence isn't particularly important - just that you get the electricity flowing from your charger to the BMW power outlet before the CANbus shuts down the connection between BMW power outlet (accessory socket) and the battery.

Some chargers go into float mode when the battery is near fully-charged. If the charger cuts off the power in this mode, the CANbus may sense the lack of power and close the connection to the battery. If this happens, then the battery won't receive a charging current anymore. That's why BMW sells the expensive charger to work with the CANbus to keep the circuitry open to allow charging. BMW also sells a less expensive rebranded Deltran charger to either connect directly to the bike's battery through a fused SAE pigtail (often installed by dealers or customers) or the aforementioned fuse panel (several fuse panel options are available).

Powerlet also sells fused kits to wire the BMW power outlet (accessory socket) directly to the battery. I used two of them through my fuse panel for this purpose to more easily charge the battery and run accessories from the bike power (tire inflator, cell phone charger) when the bike isn't running.

Cheers!

Now here's my question in what I understood the parts guy telling me how to connect this up. The male plug in adapter needs to be hooked into the Optimate 4 unit then plug into the 110 electrical outlet. Is this correct?
Sorry for the silly question.

First, I presume that the dealer sold you the type of Optimate-4 which is adaptable to the CanBus system. There are two versions...one of which can be switched to work with CanBus. Once you have that set up correctly, then yes, first plug the Optimate lead into the bike, then into the AC line. When disconnecting, do the reverse.

I just looked at the Optimate 4 on line and wow, what a deal. If my memory serves me right, the BMW canbus charger was well over $200 when I bought mine.

Some people say that the BMW charger may overheat if the canbus has already turned off the bike socket when you plug it in. BMW's instructions also recommends leaving the ignition on until the charger is connected and plugged in.

Sounds you have the best of both worlds, an easy charger to use and one that you do not have to add extra wiring.

Wayne

i would like to know

has there been a documented case of bmw motorcycle electronics being damaged by a trickle charger?

i mean 12 vdc is 12 vdc, so what would have to happen for a charger to break something?

If you are plugging your charger into the BMW power outlets (AND they are not wired directly to the battery or to the battery through a fuse panel), then you will need to trick the CANbus to maintain a connection between the BMW power outlet and the battery. To do so, plug your charger into the BMW power outlet either with the bike running or before switching off the ignition and then plug your charger into your wall socket (110v).

I've seen this on forums before but it's NOT in the owners manual nor is it in the instructions for the BMW charger.

It's not required when using the BMW charger.

I simply plug my charger into my not-running motorcycle at the front power outlet, plug the charger into house electricity, and it maintains my battery just fine.

First, I presume that the dealer sold you the type of Optimate-4 which is adaptable to the CanBus system. There are two versions...one of which can be switched to work with CanBus. Once you have that set up correctly, then yes, first plug the Optimate lead into the bike, then into the AC line. When disconnecting, do the reverse.

Thank you for pointing this out to me, as I haven't even open the box. Went and looked at it more carefully and took it back to the dealer as there was nothing mentioned on the box with regards to Canbus.
Now the fun begins, as I went back to the local BMW dealer who sold me the Optimate-4 to a front end service writer who looked and we both went to ask the service manager. As it turns out they were all in a circle on the showroom floor and what an opportunity gathered all the collective minds, the senior BMW mechanic (who by the way is awesome), parts manager, service manager and a senior parts person.
Yes there is a separate Optimate-4 for Canbus, but they sold the last one yesterday (*$#@**)!
The service manager and especially the senior mechanic gave me an answer after I said which rather surprised me, "What would the problem be if I just took the red lead and mount it directly to the + terminal and the black to the - terminal on the battery"? All agreed that if you are handy with tools, take the leads and mount directly to the battery. Sorry, this was not the answer I was expecting.
Their reasoning was that most high end riders would prefer to take the attached plug and plug it into the power outlet. I further questioned them about doing what they suggested with regards to doing damage to the Canbus Computer setup. They all laughed and said there is very little chance of this happening only if the leads are placed on the wrong terminal.
I just hope they are right and I apologize if I have caused confusion on this issue. Been a long week and I think it's time for a glass of red French wine!

I've seen this on forums before but it's NOT in the owners manual nor is it in the instructions for the BMW charger.

It's not required when using the BMW charger.

I simply plug my charger into my not-running motorcycle at the front power outlet, plug the charger into house electricity, and it maintains my battery just fine.

I knew I had seen it someplace, although it is not in the owners manual. http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2678 Do not know, but why take a chance. Takes only a second to turn on the key, plug in the charger, and turn off the key.

Attachments

• BMW charger.jpg
    BMW charger.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 107

Thought I would followup on the out come of hooking the Optimate-4 directly to the battery. When it was first hooked up all the lights came on which startled me and quickly re read the manual to understand what all the lights mean. Battery was in need of charging. The yellow lights slowly disappeared on the indicator middle bar and the two green lights came on. They stay on but every so often one of them (forget which side) flash's and this tell's me its checking.
Bottom line is so far so good!

Peter

A simple question. (I hope)
I have a 2004 R1150RTP with accessory socket.
What charger should I buy to safely charge the
battery using the socket?
I have a feeling my bmw charger from the old R100RT is not adequate for the job.
Thanks,
Peter

In 2004 I bought a new R1100S that had the smaller BMW gell battery. Advice then was not to use the standard Deltran Battery Tender like I had using on my airheads, BMW had their own branded version of the Deltran. They said that the algorithm was different and would damage the battery if I used the wrong one.

Anyway, I bough the BMW/Deltran Battery Tender and used it through the same accessory socket. Several friends of mine continued to use the old Deltran Battery Tender with the same results, no problems. Others switched to the Deltran JR with no problems either. Wish I could give you a firm answer, but I would think if you have a smart charger you are probably ok.

Wayne

Back