• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 1150 rt abs

I too love my ABS link assisted 2002 RT. I have over 80000k on the bike and have never experienced a lay down because of the brake system. You do need to be aware of how the system operates and compensate for it.

I am a MSF Rider Couch and use my 2002 RT in teaching the Experienced Rider course including demonstating the infamous box-figure-eight exercise as well as the quick stop techniques. As was said before, it's all in the eye of the beholder, or, how you use them.

I will say that if I had had a better understanding at the time I purchased my '04RT new in '04 of how the brakes actually worked I most likely could have avoided the two mishaps I had. It was the second flop over that resulted in a torn rotator in my right knee that kept me in some pain for about 6 months when I decided to off the ABS system and, to repeat, I'm glad I did. Even BMW saw the light and got rid of that servo assisted fiasco of a braking system with umpteen bleeders with the system open to the atmosphere making annual brake system flushes such fun for the hapless owner. Of course, you could always just take the beast to your all knowing dealer and pay right through the old shnozola (nose) for him to do the job, NOT!

No different than going from non-power steering/brakes to power steering/brakes in a car. You have to be proficient at using both and know which one you're using. I am very pleased with my 04 brakes, and in a different, cro-magnon way, with the much less effective brakes on my airhead. Jetfighter versus sopwith camel.

No different than going from non-power steering/brakes to power steering/brakes in a car. You have to be proficient at using both and know which one you're using. I am very pleased with my 04 brakes, and in a different, cro-magnon way, with the much less effective brakes on my airhead. Jetfighter versus sopwith camel.

:snore

I suppose last-word-itis is tiring. :) Equally valid opinions don't have to be the same. Lots to learn from different experiences in this and most threads. Yes, even including yours. Otherwise, how would I know what I would be missing if I ripped out my factory braking system? No wiki page for that.

Perhaps if it was so great BMW would have continued to develop it. But it only lasted about four years.

I don't agree that it is an equivalent to powered brakes on a car. Braking a motorcycle is as much balance as it is application, and anything that can affect balance and stability has to be considered very carefully.

I for one do not like the system and would never buy a BMW so equipped. But that's just me. Old school perhaps, but very eefective at brakes old school.

I suppose last-word-itis is tiring. :) Equally valid opinions don't have to be the same. Lots to learn from different experiences in this and most threads. Yes, even including yours. Otherwise, how would I know what I would be missing if I ripped out my factory braking system? No wiki page for that.

Well, I'm glad you got something of value from my posts. I was through commenting on this thread but I got a question. What would you do if your rather expensive modulator gives up and you need to replace it? Would you consider your bikes market value before spending the big bucks or would you perhaps contemplate a neutering job? Really, if you are happy with your braking system by all means keep it with my blessings. If I still had my modulator I would for sure attempt to sell it to you.:whistle

Well, I'm glad you got something of value from my posts. I was through commenting on this thread but I got a question. What would you do if your rather expensive modulator gives up and you need to replace it? Would you consider your bikes market value before spending the big bucks or would you perhaps contemplate a neutering job? Really, if you are happy with your braking system by all means keep it with my blessings. If I still had my modulator I would for sure attempt to sell it to you.:whistle

So you don't like whizzy brakes. OK. We get it. This ain't the first thread you stated your superior opinion of such. Move along ok?

Will the moderator please remove this thread from the board.
I did not intend to start a pissing contest about brakes
Thanks
Dave

Morning Dave and I apologize for having pulled the thread off topic. You wanted technical info from people that had modified their bike's braking system and you didn't want to start a debate centered around ABS or no ABS. I hope one of my previous posts that touched on how to remove ABS helped you. Again, I'm sorry for getting carried away and off topic.

Perhaps if it was so great BMW would have continued to develop it. But it only lasted about four years.

You've come to a conclusion that suits your views.

But, it's not reality.

Fact of the matter is, linked brakes and ABS are still on the RTs. What's happened is a less expensive way to accomplish the same thing and that constitutes "development," too.

As to whether the lever is "too sensitive," this one's hard for me to grasp as I've no problem with mine and in fact it never occured to me to even think that. And I sure didn't crash just blocks from the dealer on my first ride with it. Only bother for me is reduced braking with ignition off and that's pretty easy to adapt to. Also the maintenance is a little complicated, but it's also true there's very little maintenance required for an anvil.

Hello Dave,
Yes, I totally removed the ABS system on my '04RT couple years ago and would do it again in a minute. Now I have very powerful and predictable brakes and I especially don't miss the linked brake feature./QUOTE]

Very interesting. Could you tell me exactly how this is done? Perhaps some photos?
Thanks,
Jeff

Evening Jeff,
If you go back a few posts you can find one I wrote generally describing how ABS is removed from an R1150RT. I never took pictures and really you don't need them. If you would like to discuss this in more detail you can send me a PM.

Last edited:
Back