• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RS fairing to /5?

lmo1131

Fairly good condition RS fairing on eBay, sans mounting frame.

Any idea if it could be retro-fitted to a /5? Mounting frame components are available from MAX, but I'm guessing there would be more, a lot more, issues to consider.

What does the mounting frame... mount to? i.e. Are there dedicated bosses welded onto the R100 frame neck? I've got a spare frame so fitting wouldn't be too painful in terms of lost riding time.

Lew -

It was my understanding that there's a spider-web braket up front somewhere that bolts to a welded stud on the steering neck. Of course, there's bars, cables, wiring harness, etc. to think about.

There need to be the threaded inserts in the steering hub and the fairing mounting bracket attaches to them with bolts. The inserts aren't there on /5s.

The other problem is that the the RS/RT fairng is designed around the /6 and later headlight. It would be a major effort to convert a /5 to the newer headlight, as the shell is where all the electrics are.

I installed an RS fairing on my 75 R90/6. The R100,s have a hole in the steering stem for mounting the upper fairing mount. My /6 had the data plate riveted to the stem. I removed it and drilled and tape the holes. One of the holes was in the right place after measuring a R100. The bottom mount clamps to the frame back bone. Was a easy install.

a /6 frame (and headlight assy) is basically identical to a /7 (which is the RT or RS as well), but neither one is identical to a /5.

could you do it? sure.
would it be simple? hell no.

It was my understanding that there's a spider-web braket up front somewhere that bolts to a welded stud on the steering neck.

Spider web bracket ... excellent description Kurt!

B0000982.png

Even with a spare frame to work with it sounds like a total PITA.

Oh well, another pipe dream up in smoke. .. .. . pass. A shame, I've loved that fairing since the day I laid eyes on it.

In case anyone else is interested > http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R100RS-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec2cc3425&vxp=mtr

Back