• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member shopping for tourer

sickticket

I have not ridden for years and I need to get back into it. I'm looking at different touring bikes and the R1200RT is at the top.
Background, I work second shift and my 50 minute commute is through farm land and state game lands. Note - deer, lots of deer.
Since I am on second shift my drive home is always at night and I want your opinions on the light coverage of the 1200RT. My 2010 Toyota truck has great high beams and I have no problems seeing over 100 yards.
How are the lights on this tourer and can they be upgraded???
I'm probably looking at a Spring 2013 purchase.

I have a 2012 RT and the lights are great. I have a good view of the road when I ride on occasion at night. I do almost all of my riding in daylight. I, personally, would hesitate to ride any bike at night where there are lots of deer.

I just noticed that this was your first post. Welcome! Let me just add that my 2012 RT is a perfect touring bike. It rides like a dream and accelerates rapidly. It is very comfortable for long drives. I just love riding it! Good luck in your search for your new bike.

i live on the north fork of long island with lotsa deer

i don't ride at night unless i have to.
if i have to, i try to get behind another vehicle and let it run interference.
motorcycles , deer and night time flat don't mix.
improved lighting won't help much.
they run into bikes as often as bikes run into them.

While I am on the subject of purchasing a tourer, I am also looking at the Moto Guzzi Norge. I'm going to test drive each but the amount of plastic and sharp angles on the new Norge is starting to turn me off.

f14rio. Thanks for responding.
I spent a great two and a half years on the FDR, CVA-42 and did two med cruises. I grew up on that ship and have many good memories. I fell in love with the F4-J and when I was not working in the OPS office I was above the bridge watching flight ops and the F4 afterburners sending flames over the barriers and I felt the heat and noise. Quite an experience 40 years ago.

Welcome! Where in SE PA are you?

The MidAtlantic Riders cover PA, DE, and MD. We get together on the second Saturday of each month. The webste will be updated with details soon. Click here: MARs

Best of luck with your purchase. From what I've read, I think the RT is the way to go. Hubby had an RT for several years. At the time, I had a 650GS and he wanted me to move up to something larger. I wasn't comfortable with the RT's size at the time and moved to a Norge. After 18 months, I traded it.

The Norge is/was a great looking bike but there are some things that were quirky. For example, checking the oil was a project. Too many parts to take off before adding oil. The windshield motor was very weak. You needed a degree in engineering to remove or open/close the saddle bags. And it was very top heavy and difficult for me to maneuver at slow speed. It also had a much more forward riding angle than the RT. MG dealers are even harder to find than BMW dealers but Ferracci near Lansdale did a decent job.

These are just my observations. By all means, test ride both. Overall tho, I feel the RT is a much better machine unless MG has made some major changes in the past few years.

Rt vs Norge

I have ridden Guzzi's since 76, a number of them. I still have my 76 LM 850 87K and stationary. Why because the Rt is a better all round machine, although the Guzzi handles a bit better at high speed twisties; at my age I don't put my knees down. Therefore I ride the RT all the time.

i don't ride at night unless i have to.
if i have to, i try to get behind another vehicle and let it run interference.
motorcycles , deer and night time flat don't mix.
improved lighting won't help much.
they run into bikes as often as bikes run into them.

Good advice. I think deer are the stupidest animals in all creation. I don't ride at night because of deer and other drivers. Twice I have come within 3' of hitting a deer riding in broad daylight ... I didn't see them till they were at the edge of the road running at full speed crossing directly in front of me.

BTW, I really like my RT, but, you should also look at the new 2013 Triumph Trophy as it competes toe to toe with the RTs. If the Trophy had been out when I was shopping a year ago, I'm certain that I would still have chosen the RT over the Triumph, but it would have been a close call.

Last edited:
Back