• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake fluid reservoir cap - Touratech 2011 R1200RT

bigwaves

My 2011 r1200rt brake fluid reservoir cap started bubbling over the summer. The dealer want to see the bike to fix the issue. My dealer is over 150 miles away. (one way) Not really the kind of trip i want to take to replace a cheap plastic part.

I was looking at the Touratech caps - very expensive - not sure if that is a good alternative - any feedback appreciated. The other option is to replace them with a generic reservoir. How have people been handling this defect on their bikes?

Thanks for the help!

The cap is made of metal. The dealer should replace it for free under warranty with a new part that has an improved finish that won't bubble. Mine did.

My 2011 r1200rt brake fluid reservoir cap started bubbling over the summer. The dealer want to see the bike to fix the issue. My dealer is over 150 miles away. (one way) Not really the kind of trip i want to take to replace a cheap plastic part.

I was looking at the Touratech caps - very expensive - not sure if that is a good alternative - any feedback appreciated. The other option is to replace them with a generic reservoir. How have people been handling this defect on their bikes?

Thanks for the help!

You have a 2011 R1200RT and think the reservoir cap is expensive? Hmmmmm

Bigwaves (real name? Be funny to call to you at a rally..)

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - you can imagine how useful this info might be in the thread title, since not everyone here owns the same bike you do.. and the people that do might pass right by your posting. I'm adding the info to the thread title, please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I had my brake cover replaced on my 2010 RT too. I believe that it is factory brake fluid that caused the paint to bubble. My cover was replaced under warranty, Although warrantee on painted parts is only one year.

Since a 150 mile ride is a bit much to just go get a part it seems, I'd just call the dealer up, and have them mail one to me.

I do that routinely now that the nearest dealer is 450 or so miles away, but did it sometimes when I lived 45 miles from the dealer. Sometimes I'd get in the middle of working on a bike and discover a part I needed. Rather than kill two hours of good working time to go get something I'd just call and have the part the next day.

On my 2011 RT the Dealer replaced the whole unit not just the cover under warranty. I think I waited two months plus before I had them do the job.
Mike

Back