• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another rescue project '74 75/6

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Well, went and picked this up from same owner I got the R69S from. He finally decided it needed a real home as well and wasn't going to do anything with it other than look at it.

PA230013-L.jpg

PA230002-L.jpg

Original owners grandson has been sitting on it since '86...ran it for about 6K in 2000 and replaced a few things that year. Hasn't run since he moved it back to TX from CA when he got out of the service.
It needs some TLC to say the least. Original owner kept records until last tires and service in 1979 with 18K miles...it has almost 21K on it now.

First thing will be yanking the Windjammer off and letting it go to someone else who could use it.It has a Wixom topcase and two sets of sidecases that were in the barn as well.

PA230005-L.jpg

PA230008-L.jpg

Not sure if it's a keeper yet. The 69S has my attention at the moment and my $$$.:violin

Last edited:
No good at all. . .

Let me be the first (on this thread) to say that you should get rid of that horrid machine just as soon as possible. . .not worth anything, really. Just set it out in front of your house, and "somebody" will pick it up so you don't have to pay to have it hauled off. . .Same goes for that crappy R69S. . .

Old jokes are the best, right? Kinda like old bikes.

Seriously -- a nice find, and resurrecting these is sacred duty, all the way. Meant to be ridden, and not just looked at in the dim and dusty light of a barn.

Walking Eagle

Last edited:
Funny, Walking Eagle... no setting it out on the curb , the dirt floor it was sitting on the past few years was bad enough!

Took the Windjammer off and the rear rack. Worked a little rubbing compound and wax on the paint , steel wool on the surface rust on some of the old chrome.
Emptied the very stale fuel out and will get a battery to see if it will fire up.
Then a major service ( the first since 1979 from the meticulous records), tires and the fun begins.

Helen said it looks way better than it did upon arrival ...she said she would ride it when ready:whistle

PA240044-L.jpg

PA230033-L.jpg

Looks great! you will have a fine machine once you've serviced her.
You should also pull the gas tank and clean/service/replace seals in the master cylinder. I have 74 R60 and the MC was leaking when I first got her. Got the rebuild kit from Max BMW and all is fine now.
Are you keeping the side cases? I have that wixcom top case, and would love to get the matching side cases if you'd like to pass them on!

white is almost as good as black

hope you have the aluminum turn signals for the front and the t.s. stems were not sawed off to make the jammer fit. Really classy looking bike! Well never mind I looked at the first picture again and see they were mounted on the fairing.

Last edited:
yeah, the front stalks got chopped, leaving about three inches sticking out...I'll do something about that in time. I was happy the stock headlight was intact behind the fairing.
Small steps...my battery delivery didn't happen today, so I moved on to another project.

Bar Backs

Pretty radical bar backs,now easily seen with the fairing removed.A lot of us used them back in the day to provide clearance for the controls.My brother-in-law let me try his new to him R90/6 with the same fairing and the first parking lot tight left turn almost put me over the bars when the front brake lever made contact!Be really careful not to scrape the tank when removing it (DAMHIK).I love the look of a nekked airhead-you found yourself a honey!

Cheers,Russ

I hadn't noticed the barbacks...they sort of look like something for the R26 or R27. The pre '70 bikes had risers that look like this and one trick for clearing the larger tanks (Heinrich, etc.) with the standard bars on the R69S was to use risers from the singles.

Russ , Kurt...yest they are pretty swept back. Look like the ones on our R69, but a tad beefier.
And the tank had some rusty scratches below them...I found out why when I tried to lift tank the other day and added to them:doh The edges were so sharp it only took one little bump to further damage the paint...dangit!

I think they were so the bars cleared the Windjammer and will be coming off as well.

I have the same barbacks free to anyone who wants them.

My R75 came with them and the tank is not only scratched, but pretty nicely dented on top where some bone-head slammed it into them. Not me, btw. :stick

Barbacks

"I think they were so the bars cleared the Windjammer and will be coming off as well."

Well at least you won't need longer cables-shorter ones maybe if they kink. :whistle

Well, short update as I have been doing the holiday thing with out of town guests and remodeling Helen's laundry room/garage...her "gift" this year...as will be her riding the /6 soon.:love
Taking a break from all the bikes gave me a fresh perspective as well...it's back to a fun project again.

Almost ready to light her up after a long slumber...all fluids changed with no ugly surprises. The oilpan had minimal sludge and the gear lube throughout came out fresh looking for being there for 30+ years since last known service ...a pleasant surprise! Even the brake fluid looked better than some Oilheads I have done lately. The front m/c under the tank looks OK and no leaks...didn't want to touch it yet other than flushing.

I found a huge clump of mud dobber nests on top of starter which hampered removing that cover as well...bet they have been there awhile! The air element was really stuck to the left housing....took some talking to get it off w/out breaking the housing :bluduh

Am going to see what a test ride brings out and address those findings. Have new tires and tubes,wb grease, and the brakes look great for 20K.At least the rolling /stopping thing looks ready.

Installed a gel battery and got a pretty spark on the plugs. New fuel lines w/filters also bring peace of mind. The tank still reeks of stale fuel even after being aired out for over a month. Hopefully a tank or two of fresh fuel will take care of that. I hate that smell almost as much as burnt gear lube...

Still trying to find a set of stock bar clamps and may ride out to pick some up Friday and a tail light lens that has been on back order for awhile to take it to be inspected and TX plated. Any other source for a tail light lens other than a BMW dealer?

I took the headlight off yesterday and removed all the Scotch-Locks from the Windjammer harness add on. It looks better w/out all those connectors. Will reinstall the front indicators in the next session. The stalks were not chopped like I thought and the original wiring is tucked inside them. All grounds and connections look good so far at all major points.

Helen still wants me to replace the aged roundels... I wanted to leave them be for now:D

My bigger project is still the 69S we got from the same guy on the adjacent lift...figuring out logistics to get the shortblock to Vech SOON! The /6 was still just a bonus find in that deal.

Back