• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
I installed it and was told that it didn’t require calibration. I’m thinking I should see if there’s an option on the GS-911. Is it supposed to be calibrated?

Yes it should be calibrated, with the GS911, while removed from the tank and dry and at ambient temperature.

See this post for lots of related info.

I am assuming this "new" part is just a better made version of the old part but works the same way. Who told you it didn't need calibration?

Yes it should be calibrated, with the GS911, while removed from the tank and dry and at ambient temperature.

See this post for lots of related info.

I am assuming this "new" part is just a better made version of the old part but works the same way. Who told you it didn't need calibration?

A credible source from another forum…

Thank you for this. I guess I’ll plug in the GS-911 and get it calibrated. I really appreciate your response!

A credible source from another forum…

Thank you for this. I guess I’ll plug in the GS-911 and get it calibrated. I really appreciate your response!

If your old one went bad then it threw a code. Once that happens when you replace it you have to clear all codes then calibrate. The only way to skip a calibration is if you have a functioning one that hasn't thrown a code and replace it without ever turning the key until you are done. In that case it might successfully use the previous calibration but who knows how accurate that would be.

It will be very interesting to see if this "new" part is any better than the previous generations. Keep us posted.

If your old one went bad then it threw a code. Once that happens when you replace it you have to clear all codes then calibrate. The only way to skip a calibration is if you have a functioning one that hasn't thrown a code and replace it without ever turning the key until you are done. In that case it might successfully use the previous calibration but who knows how accurate that would be.

It will be very interesting to see if this "new" part is any better than the previous generations. Keep us posted.

Will do, thank you. I really appreciate the help.

fuel strip

ive had the fuel screen go blank, found a u tube , on how to flash the unit with a barbeque igniter had to try this several times until last try now lasted 3 weeks heres hopeing mark:clap

2007 R1200RT Fuel Strip

I purchased the 2007 R1200RT used and had no idea there was a problem with the fuel strip. It stopped functioning and I then started looking into the problem. I found out that there was a recall, but my fuel strip went bad one month after the recall was over. I tried the BBQ lighter fix and it worked for about a month the first time. The second time for about two weeks. I then received a notice about a fuel pump recall and decided to have the fuel strip replaced at the same time. The cost for the new fuel strip was $318 dollars parts and labor, with a two year warranty. Then one year and two months later that fuel strip stopped working. I called the dealer and they scheduled a time for the new and improved fuel strip to be installed under warranty. It has been one year and three months and the fuel strip is still working.

I purchased the 2007 R1200RT used and had no idea there was a problem with the fuel strip. It stopped functioning and I then started looking into the problem. I found out that there was a recall, but my fuel strip went bad one month after the recall was over. I tried the BBQ lighter fix and it worked for about a month the first time. The second time for about two weeks. I then received a notice about a fuel pump recall and decided to have the fuel strip replaced at the same time. The cost for the new fuel strip was $318 dollars parts and labor, with a two year warranty. Then one year and two months later that fuel strip stopped working. I called the dealer and they scheduled a time for the new and improved fuel strip to be installed under warranty. It has been one year and three months and the fuel strip is still working.

The jury is still out on the new one but we are all certainly hoping that it is what we all want it to be which is a reliable long term fix. Only time will tell.

Back