View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
823. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

55 6.68%
  • YES - 2006 model year

41 4.98%
  • YES - 2007 model year

96 11.66%
  • YES - 2008 model year

117 14.22%
  • YES - 2009 model year

157 19.08%
  • YES - 2010 model year

63 7.65%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

23 2.79%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

75 9.11%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

251 30.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Has anyone ever filed a defect petition with NHTSA for this issue? I had never heard of this until seeing a link for it in today's Bench Racing and the Morning Reads. Wonder if it would help at all? Thoughts.

From the article Here's How to Possibly Force a Recall on Your Car

"filing a defect petition forces NHTSA to investigate your complaint and tell you in a written statement whether there’ll be a recall and, if not, explain why."

Also found this related article by The NY Times

I haven't found the instructions yet on how to actually do it though. Both articles point here to NHTSA but I don't see actual instructions there. Am I missing something?

I found this example of one.
    Last edited by mikegalbicka; 12-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Three on an 09 R

I am the second owner, the prior owner had one in the first 25K and I've had 2, the bike has 60K on it now. BMW has done all the work for free.

Voted no on the poll, but essentially invalid as my bike is new. Desired to view the results.

2010 BMW R1200RT Fuel Strip

Hey, my 2010 BMW R1200RT Fuel Strip just went out, I'm at 44000 miles.

I called the number for the BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117 regarding the warranty. They told me it should still be covered but that I needed to call a BMW Dealer to check if the warranty has already been accomplished. I've called 3 different dealers and nobody has been able to tell me if it's covered or not. Is there another way to know before I take it in and get told that it was already done by someone else and no-longer under warranty?

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    They are covered for 12 years and the dealer should know that. A lot of us have had multiple ones done. I am on number six and since I have an 07 this is my last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe126926 View Post

I've called 3 different dealers and nobody has been able to tell me if it's covered or not. Is there another way to know before I take it in and get told that it was already done by someone else and no-longer under warranty?

Mine has been covered both times. You are covered until 12 years after delivery date.

Find a dealer who can hit their fanny with both hands. (if you can)

GD
    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by Joe126926 View Post

I called the number for the BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117 regarding the warranty. They told me it should still be covered but that I needed to call a BMW Dealer to check if the warranty has already been accomplished. I've called 3 different dealers and nobody has been able to tell me if it's covered or not. Is there another way to know before I take it in and get told that it was already done by someone else and no-longer under warranty?
    Even if replaced once they are still under warranty for 12 years. If your profile indicated where you are we might actually be able to suggest a dealer for you to contact.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

On 4th strip on 2007 1200gs with 53k miles

I'm sure it's just a coincidence but my bike, a 2013 R1200R second owner, is going in tomorrow for a new fuel strip at 47,000 miles. The first owner replaced it once at 11,000. My failure occurred right after I fueled my tank with ethanol-free, a rare occurrence. After the warranty expires, if I still own the bike, I'll try the zapping fix.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence but my bike, a 2013 R1200R second owner, is going in tomorrow for a new fuel strip at 47,000 miles. The first owner replaced it once at 11,000. My failure occurred right after I fueled my tank with ethanol-free, a rare occurrence. After the warranty expires, if I still own the bike, I'll try the zapping fix.

Doug
    Doug - my latest strip is (knock on oak-grain formica woodlike substance..) the longest lasting one I've had. It has the "Eilenberger modification.." (as my local dealer's mechanics call it..) On the R1200R the fuel strip runs directly below the filler hole. If you open the cap and look in with a maglite - you'll see it. The thought came to me - that in NJ we have emission collars on many gas pumps, meanig to turn the pump on one has to really push the nozzle pretty far into the opening. Doing this - it either will hit the fuel strip, or only be an inch or so away from it.. which means high-pressure fuel is directly impacting the fuel strip. That can't be a good thing.

I thought about it - and thought that adding a deflector shield above the fuel strip might help. I discussed it with a very savy mechanic at the dealership last time it was in getting a strip - and he thought it sounded good and would think about how to do it. He was quite proud that he thought of using a piece cut out of an oil bottle, with a few punched holes in it, and some tie-wraps to hold it to the top of the fuel strip. Now gasoline is deflected away from the strip when filling up.

And this strip is going on it's 3rd year - which is a real record for me (my first R1200R had 7 or 8 strips in 100,000 miles, this one had gone through 3 by about 20,000 miles). Does the deflector help? Dunno for sure - just anecdotally it seems to..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Doug - my latest strip is (knock on oak-grain formica woodlike substance..) the longest lasting one I've had. It has the "Eilenberger modification.." (as my local dealer's mechanics call it..) On the R1200R the fuel strip runs directly below the filler hole. If you open the cap and look in with a maglite - you'll see it. The thought came to me - that in NJ we have emission collars on many gas pumps, meanig to turn the pump on one has to really push the nozzle pretty far into the opening. Doing this - it either will hit the fuel strip, or only be an inch or so away from it.. which means high-pressure fuel is directly impacting the fuel strip. That can't be a good thing.

I thought about it - and thought that adding a deflector shield above the fuel strip might help. I discussed it with a very savy mechanic at the dealership last time it was in getting a strip - and he thought it sounded good and would think about how to do it. He was quite proud that he thought of using a piece cut out of an oil bottle, with a few punched holes in it, and some tie-wraps to hold it to the top of the fuel strip. Now gasoline is deflected away from the strip when filling up.

And this strip is going on it's 3rd year - which is a real record for me (my first R1200R had 7 or 8 strips in 100,000 miles, this one had gone through 3 by about 20,000 miles). Does the deflector help? Dunno for sure - just anecdotally it seems to..

That is in line with my assumption that all the failures are in the connection of the strip to the connector at the top in that epoxy block. I measured the strip in a dozen or more strips at the dealership here and none of them had any issue with the resistance of the sensor or the heater. So no issue with the fuel on the strip itself. They all had a disconnect at the connection inside the epoxy block. Mechanical wiggling may well be the cause...vibration included as well. It is just a poor way of connecting the strip.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Don,

How about a photo or two of the deflector strip?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Don,

How about a photo or two of the deflector strip?
    Hi David, there isn't much to see through the filler hole. It would require taking out the cap assembly to really see anything, and right now I have no plans to do that - but perhaps if I do in the future I'll remember to take photos. I didn't see it before it went into the tank, but AFAIK - it's simply a disk about 3" diameter with some holes punched in it for tie-wraps. It's tie-wrapped on top of the fuel strip right under the fuel filler hole. You could probably make and install one through the filler hole if you remove the cap assembly. Mine was installed when my most recent strip was installed, so it went in through the fuel-pump hole (and the pump got replaced due to the cracking flange on it at that time..)

Don
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Angry 2008 gsa

On fourth strip now. This is ridiculous.

Fuel Strip #4

2009 GSA

Taking it in next week to have the 4th fuel strip put in. 2nd owner.

Latest strip lasted 2 years.