View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
816. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

55 6.74%
  • YES - 2006 model year

40 4.90%
  • YES - 2007 model year

95 11.64%
  • YES - 2008 model year

116 14.22%
  • YES - 2009 model year

156 19.12%
  • YES - 2010 model year

63 7.72%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

23 2.82%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

73 8.95%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

249 30.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Quote Originally Posted by tsouth View Post
    Mine failed last week on my '08 K1200GT. It shut my bike down as I was riding. Just coated over to the side of the road like I had run out of gas but I still had 1/3 of a tank remaining. BMW dealer fixed it under warrantee but told me it may or may not continue to work. I hope it doesn't shut my engine down next time!
    It shouldn't have shut your engine down. There is no link in the computer systems for that. BMW typically biases their engineering to the opposite - keep the engine running no matter what (ie, no oil-pressure loss, no tipover - shutdown.)

Something else was going on if your bike shut down. You might ask the dealer what it was (they may be able to retrieve a failure code from the ECU.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Unfortunately the BMW dealer says they weren't able to get a failure code at all. They replaced the crank sensor because the engine light was flashing but that didn't fix the problem. BMW Germany looked at the problem and had them replace the fuel sensor which fixed the problem. They told me that the computer will shut off the fuel pump if it senses that the bike has no fuel. That's their story and they are sticking to it.

Unfortunately the BMW dealer says they weren't able to get a failure code at all. They replaced the crank sensor because the engine light was flashing but that didn't fix the problem. BMW Germany looked at the problem and had them replace the fuel sensor which fixed the problem. They told me that the computer will shut off the fuel pump if it senses that the bike has no fuel. That's their story and they are sticking to it.
    This must be unique to your model. Look at this thread - well over 300 reported failures, the majority fail indicating empty, and people just keep on riding them. I don't believe there is a reported failure like yours in the thread. I can't speak to the K1200GT model - since the survey is located in the Hexhead/Camhead forum - but if this was true, given the number of bikes of all models using the fuel strip that experience failures - I'm amazed we haven't heard of this before. It also makes very little sense to engineer a bike that way. If you run out of fuel - the engine WILL stop. No need to have it check the fuel level to stop it, and actually as you experienced - a real unnecessary risk to the rider if it does this erroneously.

I don't doubt what the dealer told you, but I'd love to know what transpired between them and BMW Germany.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    You're being too kind...
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I'd like to know what went on also and what was really wrong. I had only driven 165 miles at slow 55-60mph speed since I had filled up and was not out of gas. They were supposed to email me a copy of the repair work for my records but still haven't done it. Seems I'll have to be a little more firm next time I call them.

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    You're being too kind...

Jack,

I have known a few dealership employees who were less then accurate in transmitting information to the customer. I think this is caused by the "dealership blather" syndrome - where an employee of a dealership feels the need to appear all knowing, or knows the customer wants an answer and they don't want to disappoint them, so they simply make stuff up or parrot what they've heard around the shop.

I've had some "interesting" conversations with these employees.

I'd like to know what went on also and what was really wrong. I had only driven 165 miles at slow 55-60mph speed since I had filled up and was not out of gas. They were supposed to email me a copy of the repair work for my records but still haven't done it. Seems I'll have to be a little more firm next time I call them.
    Some dealers are not eager to hand over a warranty invoice for whatever reason. I had to push to get one in Utah on a major repair.

We just had 5 models go thru open campaigns and not a single invoice provided.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

My dealer finally did email me a copy of the fuel strip replacement invoice. It took a while but I kept bugging them until they sent it to me.

Intermittent K bike engine stall

Mine failed last week on my '08 K1200GT. It shut my bike down as I was riding. Just coated over to the side of the road like I had run out of gas but I still had 1/3 of a tank remaining. BMW dealer fixed it under warrantee but told me it may or may not continue to work. I hope it doesn't shut my engine down next time!
    Were you giving it throttle when it died? Or did you let off the throttle, say......coming to an exit or stop light? There are many documented engine stalls on the '07 '08 K12GT's. If you haven't been, go check out the K bike forum. Lots of good info on there.
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    2016 R1200GS

I was at 60mph with the cruise control on.

Cool Fuel strip fail

No failurs on my 2010 R1200RT. Yet.

Fuel strip fail

That would be FAILURES......

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650 chrismiii's Avatar

fuel strip

Quote Originally Posted by Lslem View Post
    That would be FAILURES......
    no problems yet 2011 R1200RT 34,000 miles -Good to go - I do use 100% gas about 95% of the time also.

Having purchased my 2009 R1200RT with just under 6,000 miles, the fuel strip failed less than 300 miles after purchase.
    The dealership replaced it under the 12-year factory warranty. Here's the interesting part:
    They had to replace it three times. The first two failed during calibration. This is an amazing failure rate where the first two brand new out of the box units failed. You would think they could come up with a new part that doesn't fail. Or maybe someone else could.

Thank goodness my dealership keeps that many units in stock!

2009 RT. Just rolled 26,000 miles and experienced fuel strip failure (ran out of gas with ~50 miles remaining shown on dash). Will head to MAX in spring for first and hopefully only replacement. I heard newer strips are better, but that may just be bs.