• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
Well my forth fuel strip died today, Nov. 29, 2017 just four and one-half months after it was replaced. Going for my fifth but that will be the last one. Next time it is trading the bike for a Honda ST 1300.

2009 r1200r

Sixth failure, in today for the seventh new strip. First one failed at 600 miles. Sixth failed around 10800.

I only have two years left on the free warranty. Definitely will sell before the new one fails. Will not be doing BMW again if they don’t come out with one that works properly before I sell it.

Between the stupid fuel strip and returning to the dealer every year to reset the computer for $30 plus tax, I’m sick of BMW. Seriously considering a Honda adventure bike.

Sixth failure, in today for the seventh new strip. First one failed at 600 miles. Sixth failed around 10800.

I only have two years left on the free warranty. Definitely will sell before the new one fails. Will not be doing BMW again if they don’t come out with one that works properly before I sell it.

Between the stupid fuel strip and returning to the dealer every year to reset the computer for $30 plus tax, I’m sick of BMW. Seriously considering a Honda adventure bike.

With the Honda you can set your trip meter and use it to schedule fuel stops. Or, you actually could just ignore the idiotic fuel strip info and just set your BMW trip meter and accomplish the same thing. But if you want a Honda - go for it.

Mark - have you gone to NHTSA and filled out a complaint? That's probably more productive than complaining about it here actually. BMW isn't going to fix it due to this poll - despite how embarrassing it must be for them. There is a chap somewhere who came out with a float assembly conversion, I believe for the GS... so that could be done if BMW was motivated to do it. It will take NHTSA to motivate them.

2008 R1200 GS Fuel Strip failure

New to forums. Bought 2008 R1200 GS bike used with 11K. Fuel gauge quit at 35K. No warranty. Odometer and trip reset works and I use trip mileage track my fuel usage for fill ups. Never considered taking it to dealer to get it fixed. Now at 53k. Now if I can find a forum to tell me why my low beam headlight quit working. I just wired a toggle switch for 12v power straight to the low beam lamp terminal. Relay good, fuse good.

New to forums. Bought 2008 R1200 GS bike used with 11K. Fuel gauge quit at 35K. No warranty. Odometer and trip reset works and I use trip mileage track my fuel usage for fill ups. Never considered taking it to dealer to get it fixed. Now at 53k. Now if I can find a forum to tell me why my low beam headlight quit working. I just wired a toggle switch for 12v power straight to the low beam lamp terminal. Relay good, fuse good.

Welcome to the forum:wave
Yeah, aggravating issue

Not to hijack the fuel strip thread, but you cannot draw more current from the low beam circuit. The CANBUS wiring has limits.You can trigger a relay from the low beam, but not a load.
And, the engine needs to be running to trigger the low beam as well.

A few years ago BMW extended the warranty on the fuel stip for some models/years to 12 years. I believe your bike is part of the extended warranty.

As Steve mentioned, powering electrical accesories on a CANBus equipped bike is a challenge. Your options are to power things with a fused wire directly from the battery, from a fuse block that you install or with a device called a Hex ezCAN that integrates accessories into the CANBus. I am not certain that the ezCAN is available for your model/year. Good luck and welcome.

Fuel Strip Poll

2009 r1200 gsa w/13,000 miles. no fuel strip fail knock on wood. If you have a failure does it just not show fuel level or does something else happen. thanks

Mine will show fuel remaining, and then you run out. As much as it sucks, you have to start using the trip meter. I could never trust mine again.:banghead

Well this Saturday I get my Sixth fuel strip. The fifth one was replaced less than two months ago. At that time the dealer said he replaced one for another customer and before the guy got home, the strip was dead.

I so look forward to another four hours of time wasted to get this replaced. One hour each direction and two hours to have it fixed. Not my favorite way to spend a Saturday. Reminds me of an International Scout my Dad had. It was in the shop so much that we used to refer to the shop as its second home.

Well this Saturday I get my Sixth fuel strip. The fifth one was replaced less than two months ago. At that time the dealer said he replaced one for another customer and before the guy got home, the strip was dead.

I so look forward to another four hours of time wasted to get this replaced. One hour each direction and two hours to have it fixed. Not my favorite way to spend a Saturday. Reminds me of an International Scout my Dad had. It was in the shop so much that we used to refer to the shop as its second home.

I think they become disconnected at the junction of the wires and the strip. I inspected a number of failed ones and the strips were fine and measured the nominal resistance readings on the strip side of the connection. I don’t think the issue was ever the gas in the US. We had one fail on a new bike just out of the box with German gas in it. BMW had the same issue with the connections to their key antenna...when they had to replace around 17,000 of them. Still loving it though.
A bit annoyed though when I had to push my K12S over to the side and replace the antenna ring at Wall Drugs while 6 Harleys pulled in, got gas, and rode off...

Concerning gas, I have not had the pleasure of long distance rides in the last two years. Timing being what it is, I basically just commute with the bike and some weekend joy rides. That said, I use the same gas station for my fuel because it is ethanol free high test. Right now it costs $3.80 a gallon but for the bike's sake, I believe it to be worth it. Since this is the third fuel strip on non-ethanol fuel, I don't think E fuel is the problem.

Concerning gas, I have not had the pleasure of long distance rides in the last two years. Timing being what it is, I basically just commute with the bike and some weekend joy rides. That said, I use the same gas station for my fuel because it is ethanol free high test. Right now it costs $3.80 a gallon but for the bike's sake, I believe it to be worth it. Since this is the third fuel strip on non-ethanol fuel, I don't think E fuel is the problem.

I'm quite certain is isn't the fuel. I think if you go way way back in this thread - when I went touring in Europe about 4 years ago - I asked the shop in Germany renting us the bikes what their experience was - since at that time there was very little ethanol use in Europe.. and they had failing fuel strips just as often as we did (and only a 1-year warranty from BMW..)

And I envy your availability of high-test ethanol free fuel just because the bike runs SO much better on it. I was riding in Canada 2 weeks ago and found that many ESSO stations had two "PREMIUM" buttons - one with ethanol, one without. The without was about $0.06/liter more - but worth every penny.. my bike never ran that smoothly.

I agree with you, the bike does run much better as does my Acura which also requires 93 octane. We have two other stations within 20 miles that offer NO-E mid octane gas which is great for the lawn equipment.

fuel strip fail

R1200R 2011. Bought used in 2016- had failed fuel strip replaced at time of purchase, and twice more since then, for total of 3 replacements, all by dealer, no cost to me.

Back