View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
814. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

55 6.76%
  • YES - 2006 model year

40 4.91%
  • YES - 2007 model year

94 11.55%
  • YES - 2008 model year

116 14.25%
  • YES - 2009 model year

155 19.04%
  • YES - 2010 model year

63 7.74%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

23 2.83%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

71 8.72%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

249 30.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Fuel strip failed - original equipment

My original equipment fuel strip on my 2009 R1200R failed at 33,000 miles. My tank was running low with about 39 miles to empty. I was looking for a gas station on the right side of the road, to avoid left turning, and the low fuel light came on and the miles to empty reading showed ---.
    I have an appointment with the dealer to have it replaced.
    I always reset my trip odometer and my GPS fuel gauge at each fill up, so I have never run the tank dry.
    I would leave the fuel strip unrepaired, but the low fuel light is annoying and I want to have that thing turned off.

2005 R1200GS. 60,000 miles on original fuel strip.
    Make a difference. Support children in poverty.
    www.compassion.com

How come I didnt get the multiple strip question

the only question I saw was , have you had at least one failure. I have had 4 and the one in my bike now made it from the dealer to my house. epic fail! didn't feel like I was represented properly in the pole though. Oh FYI 31K miles on bike and ready for strip #5

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I've seen a lot of repeated failures and also failures shortly after the repair. How much of the is from older stock...and more importantly, has their been an upgrade to the strip? And if so, we're the older strips recalled?
    The key antenna went thru at least three part numbers for the same part while the parts were being upgraded. And the older part numbers were recalled. But then, the key antennas left the bike stranded and the fuel strip does not (except for blind reliance on it's reporting of fuel level). So it is about cost of warranty coverage. We get that, just wondering about customer satisfaction. Ever get to vote on satisfaction with BMWNA or do we just get to vote on the dealers?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Currently the second one has failed.

09 GS

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeed View Post
    the only question I saw was , have you had at least one failure. I have had 4 and the one in my bike now made it from the dealer to my house. epic fail! didn't feel like I was represented properly in the pole though. Oh FYI 31K miles on bike and ready for strip #5
    It's a multiple choice poll - you can check both the year of your bike and that you've had more then one strip.

The '07 R1200R had 7 of them. The "new" '12 R1200R one has started flaking out - at around 5,500 miles. Getting replaced later this month. The last one in the '07 has lasted almost 2 years now - zowzers!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

It finally happened to me.

2009 R1200GS about to turn 30K. The previous owner said it was replaced under warranty shortly before I bought it. A little over 15 thousand miles and a year later it happened to me. I have a weekend trip planned to Grass Roots BMW to have it swapped out. It feels kind of like an initiation.

Fuel strip shot

Quote Originally Posted by bretf650gs View Post
    2009 R1200GS about to turn 30K. The previous owner said it was replaced under warranty shortly before I bought it. A little over 15 thousand miles and a year later it happened to me. I have a weekend trip planned to Grass Roots BMW to have it swapped out. It feels kind of like an initiation.
    06 GSA at second wind bmw being replaced for the first time 27,000 miles

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650 chrismiii's Avatar

2011 rt

No fuel strip problems, YET!, however I try to keel 100% gas running through it as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by chrismiii View Post
    No fuel strip problems, YET!, however I try to keel 100% gas running through it as much as possible
    The 100% gas will make the engine happier - but it has no effect on the fuel strip failures (rented bikes in Europe last year and asked the dealer about it.. even bikes that have never seen ethanol fail with great regularity. Standard instructions to the renters "Never go more then 300kM without filling up..")

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650 chrismiii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    The 100% gas will make the engine happier - but it has no effect on the fuel strip failures (rented bikes in Europe last year and asked the dealer about it.. even bikes that have never seen ethanol fail with great regularity. Standard instructions to the renters "Never go more then 300kM without filling up..")
    Wow -good to know -I'll always reset my trip #1 odometer also as a back up!

Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    07 - on the 5th. One on BMW - three under Extended Warranty. This last one craps out - it's on me.
    Check recall they may cover up to 12 years. BMW dealer changed my 06 rt last month

Fuel Strip

The fuel strip failed at about 15,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 108062 View Post
    The fuel strip failed at about 15,000 miles.
    On a ????

Mine failed last week on my '08 K1200GT. It shut my bike down as I was riding. Just coated over to the side of the road like I had run out of gas but I still had 1/3 of a tank remaining. BMW dealer fixed it under warrantee but told me it may or may not continue to work. I hope it doesn't shut my engine down next time!