• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
07 GS and on third strip. Question for those with this bike, when you fill do the bars on the gauge go right up to the Gas pump icon? mine always has room for what looks lie one more bar.
Between Trip and Range I seem to be good for 3/4 of the tank, then ultimately fuel light comes on with 70-80 Klm range left. Tripmeter will read 180 or so klm. but when I fill i can only ever get 12-13L of fuel in. is this not a 20L tank??

All strips have worked the same, not sure if they can/are supposed to be calibrated? I even filled on centre stand and still gauge will show what looks like one bar short of full, and again when down to 40-50 Klm range and fuel light on for a bit, I can only get in 12-13L. Seems like I could safely ride another 100klm.

When full and for first half tank the total trip and range stays around 320-340 kms and a usage 5.6l/100klm. Some day taking a fuel tank and running dry to see what really is the story. Dealer just scratches head and can't tell me whether gauge bars should go all the way to top or not, or why only filling with 13 L on a 20 L tank.

I hope you took the time to file 3 separate reports with NHTSA for your failed strips. If not please see previous posts for the procedure.

I wouldn't be too hard on him.. with the use of km and liters - I'm guessing he's in Canada. Dunno if Canada has an equivalent of NHTSA.. :)

With due regard to everybody with a fuel strip. Technology for technogoly's sake is your Achiles heel. Use a trip meter. Forget what faied BMW in 1985 and ever since.

'07 r strip went out on me last night. I've owned the bike less than a year so I'm not sure how many have gone out previous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

With due regard to everybody with a fuel strip. Technology for technogoly's sake is your Achiles heel. Use a trip meter. Forget what faied BMW in 1985 and ever since.

Paul - that may be true - but you know how it is with OCD BMW owners - we want EVERYTHING TO WORK AS IT SHOULD.. :)

Paul - that may be true - but you know how it is with OCD BMW owners - we want EVERYTHING TO WORK AS IT SHOULD.. :)

Not so much OCD just expensive bikes and they should work for that price. I do use my trip and almost feel like putting tape over the fuel light indicator. Hate when out of corner of my eye I see that warning light. Then realize only the gas low fuel indicator.

Should the bars on the gauge go right up to the gas pump icon when full or is there room for one bar like the way mine displays. Not sure if it is supposed to go right to top if this is something that calibration fixes?

So my fuel strip quit working the other day. Gas light on, no bars. Last night I went to leave for work and everything was working again. Is this common?
ca31d13305773e4df4215ce07fca4ad0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So my fuel strip quit working the other day. Gas light on, no bars. Last night I went to leave for work and everything was working again. Is this common?
ca31d13305773e4df4215ce07fca4ad0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My latest strip (less than a month old) has taken to doing this sort of thing, particularly when the tank is about 1/4 full. Guess I'll have to schedule an appointment for strip #4 on the 2012 R1200R..

Should the bars on the gauge go right up to the gas pump icon when full or is there room for one bar like the way mine displays. Not sure if it is supposed to go right to top if this is something that calibration fixes?
Not sure what yours is supposed to look like since no model/year info is given. Perhaps a photo of what you mean might be helpful if you really want an answer.

Not sure what yours is supposed to look like since no model/year info is given. Perhaps a photo of what you mean might be helpful if you really want an answer.

Sorry it is a 2007. The bars go up the left and side of the info display. I can add a picture maybe later. We just got 30cm (13") of snow last couple of days. :(

Sorry it is a 2007. The bars go up the left and side of the info display. I can add a picture maybe later. We just got 30cm (13") of snow last couple of days. :(

2007 GS? The one in your avatar?

The answer is probably no (I believe your GS shared the instrument cluster with the Roadster that year - oval speedo? Smaller tach?)

BTW you might consider adding that info to a "SIG" file so it appears with every posting you make. Top right bar on this page - "Settings" then "My settings" - you'll find it right there. Takes a few seconds to do.

2007 GS? The one in your avatar?

The answer is probably no (I believe your GS shared the instrument cluster with the Roadster that year - oval speedo? Smaller tach?)

BTW you might consider adding that info to a "SIG" file so it appears with every posting you make. Top right bar on this page - "Settings" then "My settings" - you'll find it right there. Takes a few seconds to do.

Yes that is the dash layout, with rectangular info display under the tach..Will update me signature as well. good point

fuel strip/float

I have read most of the posts concerning the fuel strip and the float replacement/update. There doesn't seem to be any posts about bad floats. I have a 2012 RT that I bought new. The fuel gauge and computed mileage stopped working correctly within the first year.It was erratic at best. When brought to the attention of the dealer while still under warranty, the said they could not duplicate the problem, therefore they couldn't fix something that didn't exist. I explained that I never new when it would go haywire, but eventually it would, probably on my way home from the shop. Every time I brought it in for service, I would mention the fuel gauge problem. I never realized that they were not entering this information into the computer or putting it on the work order. At some point I was informed that I have a float system instead of a strip, and that is why they won't warranty it. Have there been other float failures? where do I go from here? I contacted the factory rep and was told that since there was no documentation they couldn't help me. On a $22,000 motorcycle you are supposed to keep track of your mileage the way we did in the 60's ??? I think not. Don Meek

I have read most of the posts concerning the fuel strip and the float replacement/update. There doesn't seem to be any posts about bad floats. I have a 2012 RT that I bought new. The fuel gauge and computed mileage stopped working correctly within the first year.It was erratic at best. When brought to the attention of the dealer while still under warranty, the said they could not duplicate the problem, therefore they couldn't fix something that didn't exist. I explained that I never new when it would go haywire, but eventually it would, probably on my way home from the shop. Every time I brought it in for service, I would mention the fuel gauge problem. I never realized that they were not entering this information into the computer or putting it on the work order. At some point I was informed that I have a float system instead of a strip, and that is why they won't warranty it. Have there been other float failures? where do I go from here? I contacted the factory rep and was told that since there was no documentation they couldn't help me. On a $22,000 motorcycle you are supposed to keep track of your mileage the way we did in the 60's ??? I think not. Don Meek

If it was under warranty now I'd make absolutely certain the problem is documented with the dealership. Have it put on a work order for warranty work. Then when it does fail completely you have some documentation to take back to BMW-Motorrad to get them to pay for a new float assembly. Unfortunately - I doubt if there is much you can do besides appealing to the dealer who has performed work on the bike if it fails - telling them that you HAD reported it several times and they claimed nothing was found.

In the mean time - do as those of us with strips do - keep resetting the trip-meter whenever you get gas. It's a PITA - but less of a PITA than running out of gas would be. Sometimes the best solution is an imperfect compromise.

Back