• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
I just traded my 05 RT after seven years. I never had a fuel strip problem. Mind you, the readings were only guesstimates.. I purposely ran the tank to zero kilometers and still had five liters left.

Fuel Strip Fix

There is a post on the BMW Luxury Touring forum that describe a fuel strip fix. Read the post by jzeiler (John) at the following site:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73008

The resistance trace within the plastic strip that connects pin 2 and 3 apparently breaks. However, a short high voltage causes a spark to jump the break and "weld" the connection back together. Using a piezo igniter for a gas grill connected to pin 2 and 3, and a single zap was enough to fix the strip on my 2009 R1200RT. There is no danger as the small spark is entirely within the strip. Ensure the connection between the igniter and the fuel strip pin is good so there is no external spark.

This was my third fuel strip failure. Two prior replacement on BMW's dime but my day at the dealer rather than riding. The "fix" took me about 15 minutes. One ride so far with the display back to normal. I'll report back after a longer test period.

Fuel strip failures

2010 RT, First strip failed two blocks from dealer the day it was purchased. They had none in stock to fix. 2nd and 3rd failure occurred before 3500 miles. Rode it 20,000 miles with a round lemon sticker over the yellow flashing light. Was going to sell it, so got 4th strip installed while still under warranty. Decided to keep it after trying a Concours for 6 months. 4th strip is still working after 1200 miles. Maybe I'll zap this one with a few thousand volts when it quits. (Kawasaki fuel guage was still working after 5k miles, but it's no RT)

At the beginning, understand this ...

The USA Federal Government ONLY mandates recalls for one of two issues.

1. The vehicle fails to meet emissions requirements

2. The vehicle exhibits a safety problem.

Anybody that thinks a failed fuel gauge is a safety problem is dreaming. BMW can voluntarily recall anything they want and that will describe the car problem, i.e. a voluntary action on BMW's part to keeps its customers happy. Clearly a fuel leak situation is likely a safety problem--hence the government investigation of motorcycle fuel pumps. No leak is associated with failed fuel strips.
Kent,

Just an update on the discussion of recalls, and what the justification might be for one.

I've subscribed to the NHTSA email alert system which sends me ANY recall issued on any motorcycle. I can then click on a link which opens the recall announcement at the NHTSA website. Some of the recent ones involving Triumph have been interesting, and the language in one of them directly contradicts what you stated above.

The recall is for a fuel tank leak.

Here is the link, and I'll highlight what I think is significant in the wording of the recall:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V223&refurl=email

NHTSA website said:
If the fuel tank leaks, the unexpected fuel loss may lead to an engine stall while riding, increasing the risk of a crash. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may also result in a fire

Obviously the fire might be a reason for a recall, but in addition - stalling unexpectedly is also recognized by NHTSA as being a safety hazard to a rider, with the potential to cause a crash.

I'd again encourage anyone experiencing this failure to visit the NHTSA website following the directions in the post earlier in this thread and report the failure. It might just do some good.

Thanks belong to Don for starting this poll and discussion.

Thanks Don for being a active moderator and for putting this poll up. I think we will all learn a lot about how BMW NA does or does not handle possible manufacture defects.

I have also started a poll under the Motorrad thread. So go to the Motorrad forum section and please vote. We can find out in a few weeks if there is any interest in a strong proactive advocate within the MOA in dealing with BMW NA concerning possible or known defects with our bikes and other pressing issues at hand.

So go the the Forum and look under Motorrad and you will see the poll titled "Should the MOA have a proactive roll in presenting its members concerns to BMW NA?"

Let see what happens.

Thanks

You are aware the there is a two year parts and labor warranty on BMW parts.

2010 RT, First strip failed two blocks from dealer the day it was purchased. They had none in stock to fix. 2nd and 3rd failure occurred before 3500 miles. Rode it 20,000 miles with a round lemon sticker over the yellow flashing light. Was going to sell it, so got 4th strip installed while still under warranty. Decided to keep it after trying a Concours for 6 months. 4th strip is still working after 1200 miles. Maybe I'll zap this one with a few thousand volts when it quits. (Kawasaki fuel guage was still working after 5k miles, but it's no RT)

When a dealer installs a new part there is a 2 year parts and labor warranty. Also if the part fails within the 2 year period the dealer will fix it for free and the 2 year parts and labor warranty starts all over again. This could got on for 10 plus years.

Seems like I saw a post where BMW is not wanting to warranty the fuel strips.

Good luck.

Don, I really appreciate you putting the poll up to uncover the % of possible defects

Someone on the original forum I posted this on suggested that each failure be considered an incident, and deserves it's own report to NHTSA. Right now - my thinking is- he's right. It means I'll be busy filling out 4 more reports. :drink

Looks like a pretty high percentage are having fuel strip failures. Thanks for bringing this subject up for the members to talk about.

This is the kind of leadership that I hope the MOA will take with future issues. Probably would have been a good idea to do this kind of poll for the final drive issues.

I noticed the members replying to this poll posting ideas on how to fix the problem themselves and successes and failures in getting BMW NA to admit there is a problem.

This is an example of where an MOA advocate could compile the data and summarize the comments and present the results to the members and just as importantly to the leaders at BMW NA.

It is hard for BMW NA to say there is not a problem when they are presented with this data. Looks like there is great interest in this type of poll. You have over 11,000 views and 187 replies and 378 members voting. This is one of the highest viewed threads other than post a picture. If there is this much interest in viewing and replying to the fuel strip "defect" then I bet there would be great interest in any kind of possible defect.

Which is another way of saying that there is a need for members to express themselves about possible defects. Members are interested in if other members are having this same problem as they are. I know that if I was having a fuel strip issue that I would print the chart off and carry it down to my dealer and also send a copy to BMW NA asking for my repair to be covered and for BMW NA to admit that there is a problem.

But on the other hand, if one rider complains to their local dealer, the dealer or regional service rep about the fuel strip then BMW can come up with some kind of excuse and tell the rider that it is a rare case, not part of a pattern of defects.

Thanks again and I would appreciate it if you would bring this polling the members for possible defects idea up to the other moderators and get there thoughts. I think that it would provide a good clearinghouse of information. You could add another tab maybe titled "Reported failures" or "Possible Defects" or something like that.

Thanks for being a moderator.

2 years warranty Info

Thanks for the heads up on 2 year warranty. Thought it only applied to "purchased parts. According to attached document (from a post on the i-bmw forum), also applies to parts replaced during a warranty.

Attachments

• WPPM_MotorradPartsStatement.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
60% of voters are having fuel strips problem, but NO NEED for MOA to contact BMW NA

This proves that there is absolutely NO need for a the MOA to address the "possible" fuel strip problem with BMW NA.

I say let each member fight it out on their on with their local dealer and BMW NA. After all, you don't really need a working fuel gauge, just use a stick to measure how much fuel you have remaining.

This proves that there is absolutely NO need for a the MOA to address the "possible" fuel strip problem with BMW NA.

I say let each member fight it out on their on with their local dealer and BMW NA. After all, you don't really need a working fuel gauge, just use a stick to measure how much fuel you have remaining.

Maybe a bit less espresso dude.

We have more bikes than most...have had issues with fuel strips on one of the 5 with them...fixed and ride along. I know it's an irritation ...but there is a thing called an odometer that I have used for over 40 years of riding. I have an 07 R12S as well...dang thing doesn't even have a fuel gauge! The horror a modern BMW has no gauge.Gotta be a defect in design. My 05RT allowed me to find an open gas station during a hurricane even though the gauge said I was out 22 miles prior.

My 03 Dodge Diesel has ran out when the computer said I could go another 30 miles...I didn't gripe about it on the Cummins Diesel forum...just don't take it as the definitive level I have to work with. Same on any of the fuel strip set ups we own.

You are wearing out the majority of us who deal with this stuff w/out venting all over a riders forum. After a while it's like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard and as a volunteer here, you are making my "job" a PITA. A lot of the views your threads have received are from us volunteers having to keep up with it all.
As a member...I am also getting worn out with your constant barrage in a lot of threads. We get it. Your issue is with leaking seals correct? Seems the time to have done that on your nickel has passed and you are looking for the rest of us to help you out...even to the point of blaming this club and bad mouthing the volunteers who try to do the right thing .

I have said I am sorry you had the issues with your bike, or did for a while...I had an early"beta" 05GS as well that a friend has put another 70K at least on...still going even though it needs some maintenance items since it is a 8 model year old bike.

I would have PM'd most of this, but have the feeling the message would be lost.

Well we've had 7 fuel strips on 4 of 6 bikes since BMW started using them. It is a little annoying.

Back