• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
2007 rt

The fuel strip on my RT has failed twice this year. Luckily the second one was covered under warranty.

Failure on my '08 1200GS within three months of purchase. Replaced under warranty. I asked what the "fix" was. They said the "fix" was to just keep replacing it while under warranty. I get a fuel warning from about 2 gal left, kind of annoying riding almost half the time with a fuel warning light flashing.

fuel strip poll

2010 RT 3 failures in 11000 miles. 1000 miles travelled back and forth to dealer
for repairs. All under warranty.

R1200RT 2009 Fuel Strip Failure

Sadly to say that I've had 4 fuel strips fail over the life of 59,000 miles since March of 2009. I've really enjoyed my bike immensely, but can't understand why this failure cannot be corrected by the Beemer engineers.:dunno

2009 rt bought used with 3,800 miles. I've put on 14,000+ since I got it in Feb 2012. No failures and none on record under warranty.

fuel strip poll

2011 R1200R 5100 miles, no problem with fuel strip at this point. Low fuel light comes on at 40 miles left every tank.

R & K Bike fuel level sensor failures-1 each

2006 R1200 GS Adv: 1 Fuel level sensor strip failure ~20k miles
2008 K1200 GT: 1 Fuel level sensor strip failure ~12k miles

2008 r1200r & 2012 r1200rt

I had the "R" bike for 3 and3/4 years, no problem, but only 24K miles.

RT is only 2 months old with 2K miles and so far no problem.

Hope this helps.

AGS

The 2007 R12R has a bad fuel strip. Its intermittent, right now its OK but I only trust the odometer for when to get fuel. My 2009 R12RT works fine.

Jim

2011 GSA

29,000 miles

No problems whatsoever. :clap (Will probably all go to hell at 36,001 miles).

looking at the poll, it sticks out like a sore thump that the problem started in 2007 all the way through to the current model.

So the original strip was fine for the 2005 ~ 2006 series, as the failure rate seems to be very low.

No question that there has been some kind of factory change.

looking at the poll, it sticks out like a sore thump that the problem started in 2007 all the way through to the current model.

So the original strip was fine for the 2005 ~ 2006 series, as the failure rate seems to be very low.

No question that there has been some kind of factory change.

No such conclusions should be drawn from an unscientific sampling.

Back