View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
686. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

39 5.69%
  • YES - 2006 model year

27 3.94%
  • YES - 2007 model year

80 11.66%
  • YES - 2008 model year

95 13.85%
  • YES - 2009 model year

134 19.53%
  • YES - 2010 model year

47 6.85%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

22 3.21%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

55 8.02%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

230 33.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Quote Originally Posted by karjar View Post
    Should the bars on the gauge go right up to the gas pump icon when full or is there room for one bar like the way mine displays. Not sure if it is supposed to go right to top if this is something that calibration fixes?
    Not sure what yours is supposed to look like since no model/year info is given. Perhaps a photo of what you mean might be helpful if you really want an answer.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Not sure what yours is supposed to look like since no model/year info is given. Perhaps a photo of what you mean might be helpful if you really want an answer.
    Sorry it is a 2007. The bars go up the left and side of the info display. I can add a picture maybe later. We just got 30cm (13") of snow last couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by karjar View Post
    Sorry it is a 2007. The bars go up the left and side of the info display. I can add a picture maybe later. We just got 30cm (13") of snow last couple of days.
    2007 GS? The one in your avatar?

The answer is probably no (I believe your GS shared the instrument cluster with the Roadster that year - oval speedo? Smaller tach?)

BTW you might consider adding that info to a "SIG" file so it appears with every posting you make. Top right bar on this page - "Settings" then "My settings" - you'll find it right there. Takes a few seconds to do.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    2007 GS? The one in your avatar?

The answer is probably no (I believe your GS shared the instrument cluster with the Roadster that year - oval speedo? Smaller tach?)

BTW you might consider adding that info to a "SIG" file so it appears with every posting you make. Top right bar on this page - "Settings" then "My settings" - you'll find it right there. Takes a few seconds to do.

Yes that is the dash layout, with rectangular info display under the tach..Will update me signature as well. good point

fuel strip/float

I have read most of the posts concerning the fuel strip and the float replacement/update. There doesn't seem to be any posts about bad floats. I have a 2012 RT that I bought new. The fuel gauge and computed mileage stopped working correctly within the first year.It was erratic at best. When brought to the attention of the dealer while still under warranty, the said they could not duplicate the problem, therefore they couldn't fix something that didn't exist. I explained that I never new when it would go haywire, but eventually it would, probably on my way home from the shop. Every time I brought it in for service, I would mention the fuel gauge problem. I never realized that they were not entering this information into the computer or putting it on the work order. At some point I was informed that I have a float system instead of a strip, and that is why they won't warranty it. Have there been other float failures? where do I go from here? I contacted the factory rep and was told that since there was no documentation they couldn't help me. On a $22,000 motorcycle you are supposed to keep track of your mileage the way we did in the 60's ??? I think not. Don Meek

no failures

2005 1200 RT (apx 112k miles)

John

Quote Originally Posted by 181512 View Post
    I have read most of the posts concerning the fuel strip and the float replacement/update. There doesn't seem to be any posts about bad floats. I have a 2012 RT that I bought new. The fuel gauge and computed mileage stopped working correctly within the first year.It was erratic at best. When brought to the attention of the dealer while still under warranty, the said they could not duplicate the problem, therefore they couldn't fix something that didn't exist. I explained that I never new when it would go haywire, but eventually it would, probably on my way home from the shop. Every time I brought it in for service, I would mention the fuel gauge problem. I never realized that they were not entering this information into the computer or putting it on the work order. At some point I was informed that I have a float system instead of a strip, and that is why they won't warranty it. Have there been other float failures? where do I go from here? I contacted the factory rep and was told that since there was no documentation they couldn't help me. On a $22,000 motorcycle you are supposed to keep track of your mileage the way we did in the 60's ??? I think not. Don Meek
    If it was under warranty now I'd make absolutely certain the problem is documented with the dealership. Have it put on a work order for warranty work. Then when it does fail completely you have some documentation to take back to BMW-Motorrad to get them to pay for a new float assembly. Unfortunately - I doubt if there is much you can do besides appealing to the dealer who has performed work on the bike if it fails - telling them that you HAD reported it several times and they claimed nothing was found.

In the mean time - do as those of us with strips do - keep resetting the trip-meter whenever you get gas. It's a PITA - but less of a PITA than running out of gas would be. Sometimes the best solution is an imperfect compromise.

2012, 15k, No issues yet.

2012 R1200R: about to have my third sensor/ strip installed…

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevert View Post
    2012, 15k, No issues yet.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Don, I guess I wasn't very clear in my post about my float system fuel sensor. My question is, have any of these been reported as failing also? And should this be reported to the NHTSA? I am totally aware that I was wrong to not make sure my comments about the fuel sensor were documented when it was serviced, but I wonder is that really the customers' responsibility? Also, how does BMW expect to build brand loyalty/trust if they refuse to believe the customer? I even offered to split the cost of the repair with Hap's BMW (where I bought it) and was refused. Don Meek

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Don, I guess I wasn't very clear in my post about my float system fuel sensor. My question is, have any of these been reported as failing also? And should this be reported to the NHTSA? I am totally aware that I was wrong to not make sure my comments about the fuel sensor were documented when it was serviced, but I wonder is that really the customers' responsibility? Also, how does BMW expect to build brand loyalty/trust if they refuse to believe the customer? I even offered to split the cost of the repair with Hap's BMW (where I bought it) and was refused. Don Meek
    I doubt that there have been chronic issues with the float system. I think your complaint has merit, and without any additional information I would vote for a warranty repair if I had a vote. The best way to approach dealer refusals for a reasonable remedy is to call BMWNA Customer Service. They usually make some compromise such as the one you offered to your unsympathetic dealer.

Here's the blurb from BMWNA...

"Contact Us

Since the first one rolled out back in 1923 we have been building motorcycles for real riders. You, with your love of the ride and high standards for performance, have driven us to keep innovating, keep refining, keep improving. So if you have something to say, good or bad, we want to hear it.

Call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the automated voice prompts. There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST Monday-Thursday, and 9:00AM - 6:00PM EST Fridays. If someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message.

You may also reach our Customer Service Department by sending email to CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

We will get back to you as soon as possible."

It depends on the phase of the moon in my experience, but the procedure for remedy is in place and you should try using it.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I have all ready done that. their reply was the same. since it is out of warranty when it finally went completely whacky, (instead of being intermittent) there is nothing they could do. As I said, I love the bike, but the arrogant attitude of their customer service is very irritating

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I have all ready done that. their reply was the same. since it is out of warranty when it finally went completely whacky, (instead of being intermittent) there is nothing they could do. As I said, I love the bike, but the arrogant attitude of their customer service is very irritating
    Sorry to hear that. Might be a chore, but I'd have another go at them. Be nice though.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")