Thread: Warning message <!>

Question Warning message <!>

I have a 2005 rt and had this message appear several times while riding. The engine oil is at 3/4 sight glass, oil display message shows an ok checkmark. The only appears intermittently while riding then disappears in short order. Any ideas?

Bike runs great but wonder what the message cause might be.
    Last edited by voisinen; 11-02-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voisinen View Post
    I have had this message appear several times while riding. The engine oil is at 3/4 sight glass, oil display message shows an ok checkmark. The only appears intermittently while riding then disappears in short order. Any ideas?

Top off oil at or near top of sight glass. Iíve gotten this message on my 13 at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'07 RT here. Only time that warning appeared was while coming to a stop and sitting on an incline. After taking off from that stop the warning went away and hasn't returned.
    '07 RT in Silver

DennyPink
    Quote Originally Posted by voisinen View Post
    I have had this message appear several times while riding. The engine oil is at 3/4 sight glass, oil display message shows an ok checkmark. The only appears intermittently while riding then disappears in short order. Any ideas?

Owners manual for my 2007 RT says that warning indicates, "Engine oil level too low."

Been a little slow on here lately, sooooo, what kind of oil do you use?
    DP

Quote Originally Posted by DennyPink View Post
    ... what kind of oil do you use?
    DP
    Canola or Sunflower
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

One thing to note is that oil sensor wire is supposed to be zip tied to one of the plastic covers near the spark plug. Mine was not, so it rubbed a hole in the wire insulation causing me to get a fault even when the oil level was appropriate. A bit of liquid electrical tape and the zip tie cured my problem.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    One thing to note is that oil sensor wire is supposed to be zip tied to one of the plastic covers near the spark plug. Mine was not, so it rubbed a hole in the wire insulation causing me to get a fault even when the oil level was appropriate. A bit of liquid electrical tape and the zip tie cured my problem.
    Thanks for the zip tie check, will check it and top off oil. Can u send a photo of the wire and location, right or left side?
    Running Mobile1 15w50, full synthetic

That indicator is simply to let you know that the oil level is low. It is not very accurate and can be affected by a number of things (being on an incline, faulty wire, etc). When mine comes on, I'll first and wait to recheck it while back on level ground and it usually turns to a check mark.

Still, only add oil based on a proper oil check, which involves getting the bike up to temp, putting it on the center stand and checking the level in the sight glass (after it's had a chance to drain back down when you turn off the bike).

The proper level for your oil should be half-way up the sight glass, not at the very top.
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 111k miles & 2007 R1200S
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT