• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
No such conclusions should be drawn from an unscientific sampling.

The poll was done out of interest to see a trend.
Nobody is trying to prove/disprove Einstein's theory of relativity.
I don't think we need a peer review.
At the beginning the numbers were very low, but as people keep adding their failures/none failures, the trend has been consistent.
It's just an out of interest poll.

Fuel Strip Poll Comment

Ref my previous 10-30-2012 post. I just replaced the replacement. Original failed at about 7,000 miles. The first replacement never worked properly from the get-go. The dealer replaced it last week at 7400 miles (again under warranty). The 2nd replacement is working, but not nearly as accurate as the original -- it registers full on a full tank, but drops to 3/4 full after only 30 miles and the low fuel level light comes on at only 170 miles. Frustrating. I'm going to run a few more full tanks through this one and if it still doesn't register accurately, take it back to the dealer again for another replacement under warranty (until Feb 2013). :mad

FWIW, my dealer said methanol additives etch thru the strip where the air/fuel level meet in tank. I am not a chemist. He said always store bike full. I.e. strip not exposed to air. No failure since.
This is a scientific sample size of 1.

Ref my previous 10-30-2012 post. I just replaced the replacement. Original failed at about 7,000 miles. The first replacement never worked properly from the get-go. The dealer replaced it last week at 7400 miles (again under warranty). The 2nd replacement is working, but not nearly as accurate as the original -- it registers full on a full tank, but drops to 3/4 full after only 30 miles and the low fuel level light comes on at only 170 miles. Frustrating. I'm going to run a few more full tanks through this one and if it still doesn't register accurately, take it back to the dealer again for another replacement under warranty (until Feb 2013). :mad

Mine was funky on the first couple of tanks. My dealer did say they have to calibrate by draining the fuel, put in a known volume, etc. maybe they botched the calibration?

Just reading thru this thread again to see the updates and I realized I may have voted incorrectly since it appears I do not have a fuel strip. I just saw the note regarding the 2011 models being only applicable to the R12R model. I have the 2011 GSA. Is this correct that I do not have a strip?

2012 r1200r

Mine's a 2012, not listed in the poll, but the fuel strip went bad almost right out of the box. Dealer replaced it and no problems since, about 5,500 miles ago.

Bob

The poll tells the story

OK
The fuel strip survey tells the story most of us that have lived through the plague of multiple strip failures already knew.

The bikes from 2007 and newer have crappy strips and continue to have trouble even when replaced.

The way to solve this issue once and for all is to quit complaining to BMW about them (it falls on deaf ears anyway) and to take the course some of us have chosen

Get rid of the bikes and do not purchase anymore that have this issue.

Until we as consumers stop sending BMW our hard earned money they will continue to provide us with CRAPPY replacement strips

It is sad that such a small issue but so frustrating has caused a lot of us to go elsewhere for our riding enjoyment

Dave

2007 1200R sold
20081200GS sold
2008 1200R still own on the seventh strip
2008 motoguzzi norge no strip problems
1983 R80 RT no strip problems

'09RT 3rd Fuel Strip Failed :(

The good news is this is the first one that failed FULL :). The yellow triangle stays off so I'm just going to keep it (at least for another year and a half until the part warranty expires).

2009 RT replaced when bike was near new. Replaced again about 20k. That one is still fine one year and 8k later.

No Problems So Far

07 R1200R

Haven't replaced a fuel strip yet, but it's still early into my ownership. May the lack of unexpected maintenance continue.

2010 RT: Two strip failures, both withing first 12 months of ownership (0-11K miles); Have not had another failure; bike now ~3 yrs old and 36K miles.

Back