View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
703. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

42 5.97%
  • YES - 2006 model year

28 3.98%
  • YES - 2007 model year

85 12.09%
  • YES - 2008 model year

98 13.94%
  • YES - 2009 model year

135 19.20%
  • YES - 2010 model year

50 7.11%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

22 3.13%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

56 7.97%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

230 32.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32

Thread: Fuel strip poll

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn72 View Post
    had4 mine replaced a couple weeks ago, intermittent on and off with no accuracy. now it works and thinks it is empty with a little less than what should be half a tank according to mileage...
    Our '08 RS had it replaced and it thinks it's full with less than half a tank...
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

08gs

20,000 miles on third strip

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

fialure #2 appears to have arrived

09 RT, first failure June 2011 at about 6500 mi. Replaced under warranty (duh). Second failure 2 days ago at about 68,000 mi. (Guess I was lucky to have gotten 5+ years and 60,000 miles out of the replacement.) Pulled out of driveway with about 1/2 tank and range showing ~140 mi. In the space of a few seconds, fuel level dropped to 'non-existent' and range showed zip. Interestingly, after a 20 mile ride and pulling down my steep drive to my garage, fuel level shot back up to full (also inaccurate as I had not added any) and range bounced up to ~290. This is different from my first failure where the fuel indicator never left zero once it failed. Will fill up and see what happens next. Perhaps it will come back to life and give me another 60k.
    '08 F800 ST, '09 R1200 RT

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar

I sure hope I am not jinking myself.

2011 / R1200RT / 50861 miles never replaced. Do not know if it makes any difference but I only use BP premium and very, very rarely ever park it with less than a full tank.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

2010 R1200RT - replaced under US Warranty

Just had it replaced at 96400 miles/154240km. Not sure if this was the first one or not on this bike, as I am not the original owner.
    2010 R1200RT
    2007 Burgman 400
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat

replacement completed-no optimism from dealer about longevity

Quote Originally Posted by redhededgreg View Post
    09 RT, first failure June 2011 at about 6500 mi. Replaced under warranty (duh). Second failure 2 days ago at about 68,000 mi. (Guess I was lucky to have gotten 5+ years and 60,000 miles out of the replacement.) Pulled out of driveway with about 1/2 tank and range showing ~140 mi. In the space of a few seconds, fuel level dropped to 'non-existent' and range showed zip. Interestingly, after a 20 mile ride and pulling down my steep drive to my garage, fuel level shot back up to full (also inaccurate as I had not added any) and range bounced up to ~290. This is different from my first failure where the fuel indicator never left zero once it failed. Will fill up and see what happens next. Perhaps it will come back to life and give me another 60k.
    As stated above, I got 60,000+ miles on first replacement before the recent failure. In looking over my OCD records, seems my first failure occurred at 3600 miles but the replacement was done at 6000 miles when i had scheduled service during a x-country trip. Repair done yesterday under the extended warranty and service guy remarked to the effect 'Wow, you got 60,000 miles out of that replacement? That's gotta be a record.' He went on to say that it was not unusual for them to see guys bringing their bikes back in 3 or 4 months for another after the replacement fails.

Me? I'm hoping for another 5 years and 60k out of this one.

I'm sure it's posted elsewhere in this lengthy thread but just in case it's buried. Here's a link to the service bulletin extending to 12 years warranty coverage of this item for 2005-2013 R and K bikes: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...56106-7277.pdf
    '08 F800 ST, '09 R1200 RT

5 so far

2012 R1200R with about 29k on it, I bought the bike through a dealer, but later met the PO and got the full story. The PO told me he had the original fuel strip, plus 3 replacements. It got replaced a 4th time when the dealer had it. That strip failed within 1000 miles, and its been bad for about 4,000 miles since. I need to get it in.

I realize this will seem repetitive - but.. haven't seen any mention of reports to DOT/NHTSA, so:

You can find the instructions right here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....l=1#post858929

I'd suggest reporting each and every failure. Lesser brands have been mandated by DOT to issue a recall to correct this exact sort of fuel-readout failure, since it would obviously be dangerous if it failed on a highway with heavy traffic and you can't coast off to the side of the road.

I think the only way that BMW will actually resolve the fuel strip problem IS if DOT requires it. According to a knowledgeable mechanic I was talking to - his feeling was with the correct float assembly - and perhaps a bit of intermediate circuitry - a float assembly could be made to operate with our existing displays and on-board-computer. BMW hasn't been motivated to do this. As in most corporate cultures - economic decisions seem to be the rule. The way to make BMW want to fix (not simply warranty new defective product) the problem is to make it economically attractive to them. A mandated recall would seem to be the key to doing that. Eventually the 12 year extended warranty WILL run out - and knowing BMW owners - a lot of these bikes will still be serving their owners at that point. If there isn't a recall - the warranty conclusion will hit people right in their wallets - and it's not that far off for the first year fuel-strip bikes.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!