• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
multiple failures

The original strop failed in 20000 miles, the second one at 300 miles and the third at 11000 miles. I am now going 'old school'and using the tr odometer.

#7 failed today while I was..

riding up to my friendly semi-local dealer in 40F temps. One minute a 1/4 tank, next second light is on and the miles remaining readout read " -- -- -- --"

They ordered up #8, and just in case a spare one since one they replaced was bad on installation (I think that was #6..)

riding up to my friendly semi-local dealer in 40F temps. One minute a 1/4 tank, next second light is on and the miles remaining readout read " -- -- -- --"

They ordered up #8, and just in case a spare one since one they replaced was bad on installation (I think that was #6..)

Do you hold the record?

your catching up

Don
Sorry to hear the bad news.
I am hopeful that one day we will all be writing to express our relief that we never have to replace another failed strip.I am sure a fix is on the way.
Happy Thanksgiving
Ride safe
DAVE

Don
Sorry to hear the bad news.
I am hopeful that one day we will all be writing to express our relief that we never have to replace another failed strip.I am sure a fix is on the way.
Happy Thanksgiving
Ride safe
DAVE
I was told by one of the parts guys I trust at the dealership that for the past summer and fall the number of strips coming in for replacement seems to have dropped a lot. The strip still has the same PN - but his suspicion is that perhaps the manufacturer improved their QC on them. One can hope..

Can I change my vote? In September my strip took a dump.

2012 R1200R. New strip is better and more accurate. It also leaves 1/2 gallon in the tank when 0 miles to go. Fine with me.

David

I had first falty strip replaced in October, still going when I put the bike away last week, well it wasnt showing an empty tank, it wasnt anywhere near reading correct level or MTE.

had dealer replace strip sept of 2012 today it went bad. any pots on diu if possible?

The replacement strip is under warranty until 2 years from installation (as is every one replaced.. I'm on #8 as of today..) Have the dealer replace it again. According to my dealer's service adviser - the ones they've replaced since about June of 2013 have had no returns/reruns. They think BMW may have actually fixed the problem. I guess we'll see since #8 was installed today for me (at no charge..)

Don, I think you hold the record for fuel strips.. Crazy.

I hate to jinx myself but mine is still going just fine... 19K miles. Every time I fill up, I smile from ear to ear when I see the fuel gauge show filled and the miles to empty register correctly. (and of course my odometer is ALWAYS reset at refills!)

See you soon? (Childrens Specialized Hospital)

Phil

2013 failure

Since I have an "early" 2013 R1200R, it has a fuel strip... and it failed at 750 miles. Replacement has been working for the last 1500 or so, though it doesn't come off "full" until 100 miles or so have ticked off the trip meter

05 r1200gs

So far, 58,000 Kms later, no issues with my 05 r1200gs. Hope I don't get jinxed!!
Although, like many others, my fuel gauge shows full until half the fuel is burnt, then drops down to half. Although, I reset my odometer at all fill-ups. When the level goes down to 1 gallon or so, it goes on residual mode which indicate how many kilometers left to empty, and I find this very accurate. I would have preferred a fuel gauge like the one I had on my 94 GS. It showed more true from full to half.
rob.

Back