• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
2008 GSA, 2 strips failed early on, now a new issue with the gauge showing half full when the tank is empty. I haven't bothered to talk to the tech about it yet, since its not the annoying "empty" failures of the past, just have to keep an eye on the odo.

Fuel Strip or Drive Circuit?

Sometimes electronic parts fail because a connected part is out of specification. Could this be the problem with the fuel strips?
Several members report multiple failures on one bike while many members report no failures. If the problem is strictly associated with a small percentage of bad fuel strips, it would seem that replacement would almost always be a "permanent" fix. However, if the circuit providing voltage to the strip was out of spec, repeat failures would be expected.

If the percentage of bikes that have a second failure (after the first) is greater than the percentage of bikes that have a single failure (compared to total), it would seem to indicate a problem beyond the fuel strip itself.

Can we assume the BMW engineers have already considered this?????

Sometimes electronic parts fail because a connected part is out of specification. Could this be the problem with the fuel strips?
Several members report multiple failures on one bike while many members report no failures. If the problem is strictly associated with a small percentage of bad fuel strips, it would seem that replacement would almost always be a "permanent" fix. However, if the circuit providing voltage to the strip was out of spec, repeat failures would be expected.

If the percentage of bikes that have a second failure (after the first) is greater than the percentage of bikes that have a single failure (compared to total), it would seem to indicate a problem beyond the fuel strip itself.

Can we assume the BMW engineers have already considered this?????

DO NOT QUESTION GERMAN ENGINEERING

they will take your bike and your birthday away

'06 RT and still working.....

Thanks for the poll Don! It's a great idea. Although it may not be scientific, the more information we get on the subject the better off we are.

It's too bad we're not getting any information from BMW.

E.

2012 gsa 10000 no problems hopefully can keep it that way

Does your bike have a fuel strip. My 2011 K1300S has a float.

Too bad this poll is in the Hexhead/Camhead forum. It would have been interesting to see all BMW models that had fuel strip failures.

2010 R1200RT, Mine was dead when I picked it up brand new. They filled it up with gas for me and had to immediately drain the gas and change the strip.

fuel strip

Something everyone probably already knows - looks like from reviewing microfish that BMW changed from fuel strips back to float valve on r 1200 rt and r 1200 gs and r 1200 gsa manufactured after 8-2010

No failures

I'm riding a 2007 R1200RT with about 58000 miles. Lots of oil and headlight bulbs, but no fuel strips. :german

Something everyone probably already knows - looks like from reviewing microfish that BMW changed from fuel strips back to float valve on r 1200 rt and r 1200 gs and r 1200 gsa manufactured after 8-2010
I believe all the K bikes changed at the same time.
Interesting the R1200R did not change to a float like the others.

Fuel Strip Failure(s)

I absolutely love my R1200RT 2009; however, I've gone through "4" failed fuel strips on BMW's dime, but my time and inconvenience. Sure wish this problem could be addressed once and for all. I purchased the bike new with 14 miles on the odometer, and now have 62,000 miles on the odometer. My plan is to log many more miles on this beauty.;)

Back