• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
2009 gs

32,000 and change. 4 fuel strips on BMW dime and one zap cost me 30 min so far the zap is working. O I did the zap to see if it could save me a trip to shop and crying. It works hope it continues to work I think its going to be a regular thing.

2006 R1200RT fuel strip failures

After riding the bike for a couple of years and outside of the warranty period I had my first fuel strip failure. BMW extended the warranty and that one was on their dime. Since then I don't recall how many failures I have had. I paid for the second one and it failed so quickly that the dealership paid for the third. Rinse and repeat. The third one failed and I paid again. That one failed and I was just charged parts for the replacement. I may have had another one since then but lose count. The current one sometimes fails and then recovers. ( Possible battery voltage issue per the service department.)
My next bike will not have a fuel strip of the infamous "Fuel Pump Speed Controller" which failed when I was out in the countryside in a heavily mosquito infested area.

After riding the bike for a couple of years and outside of the warranty period I had my first fuel strip failure. BMW extended the warranty and that one was on their dime. Since then I don't recall how many failures I have had. I paid for the second one and it failed so quickly that the dealership paid for the third. Rinse and repeat. The third one failed and I paid again. That one failed and I was just charged parts for the replacement. I may have had another one since then but lose count. The current one sometimes fails and then recovers. ( Possible battery voltage issue per the service department.)
My next bike will not have a fuel strip of the infamous "Fuel Pump Speed Controller" which failed when I was out in the countryside in a heavily mosquito infested area.

My wife and I had a number of failed strips on our K1200S bikes...probably 7 or more between the two of us. I disassembled a number of failed strips and the strip itself was intact. That is the sensor resistance, and the heater resistance were intact. The issue was always the connection to the strip inside the epoxy block at the top. When the forum members started using gas grill starter sparking devices to restore failed strips, the failure at the connection inside the block was even more evident. The solution was to go back to the float. I read somewhere that some folks have retrofitted the float sensor to their fuel sensor bikes.

Going in this Thursday with my 09 GS for the “new Gen” fuel strip that according g to BMW dealer, is the new improved part that fixed the defective design. It is $330 for the part. We shall see.
Cheers

No issues - 17 R1200RT and 07 K1200GT

No Fuel Strip issues with my 17 R1200RT or my 07 K1200GT w/70K miles.

Availablity of R1200 Fuel Strip

According to Max BMW parts fish, the troublesome fuel strip is now "NA" (not available) Anyone have insight about this? I was hoping to get mine replaced this winter. Thanks!
DP

Repair on 2006 RT

Hi All -

I thought I had a fuel strip failure. The dash led went away and I had a blinking yellow triangle. I cleaned all of the electrical contacts and put dielectric grease on the fittings. The fuel gauge started working again. I have no idea if this will be a long term fix.

New to me 2006 R1200RT 35,000miles.

Hi All -

I thought I had a fuel strip failure. The dash led went away and I had a blinking yellow triangle. I cleaned all of the electrical contacts and put dielectric grease on the fittings. The fuel gauge started working again. I have no idea if this will be a long term fix.

Word of advice...While the fuel strip may appear to be working, its accuracy may be suspect. Mine (2009 RT) runs out of fuel before getting to E. I think the computer was showing a range of ~50 miles when mine went dry.

Last edited:
Word of advice...While the fuel strip may appear to be working, it's accuracy may be suspect.

Exactly. I replaced SEVEN fuel strips on my 07 RT. I paid for three and the other four were "warranty". Looking at how long the "warranties" lasted, I DO NOT believe the service dept actually replaced four of them. I think the mechanic simple power snapped them and sent me on my way.

41,994 mi - charged $402.30 - replaced
43,749 mi - warranty
92,841 mi - charged 324.65 - replaced
100,221 mi - warranty
104,551 mi - warranty
107,286 mi - warranty
111,464 mi - warranty

At 119,002 mi when it failed again 4/2/2019, Instead of screwing with it any longer, the service director offered me a 15RT they had, with 21,194 miles on it for $500 over their trade-in cost for it [he showed me the invoice], gave me 2k warranty and agreed to take care of ANYTHING I found wrong with it for 90 days. He gave me the bike to check out and did some things I pointed out. I only WISH that service director still worked at the dealership.

I rode both bikes for some time with the 07 just using the odo to monitor range and riding it conservatively until it wound up in my boys garage a while back. He and his wife and I have made some decent rides and the bike itself is doing just fine with just under 150k on it.

For those that aren't aware of the power snap procedure - here's a link..

Hi All -

You will have a failed fuel strip sooner or later. In case you haven’t seen it I provide a lot of background info at this thread.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...l-Strip-2007&p=1233828&viewfull=1#post1233828

2005 r1200st

Purchased the ST in 2009, original strip replaced at 25k, I paid for that one. Next 4 were under warranty, I paid for the last one at 84k.

Mine just went out in my 08 RT. I’m the original owner at 120K miles. I just replaced it with the new part number one and noticed it’s not reading accurately. It’s also not dropping consistently like my old one did. I am planning on burning up as much fuel as possible then roping it off hoping that it’s “self corrects” the issue. Has anyone else experienced this or know if it takes a few fills to smooth out?

Back