View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
766. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

51 6.66%
  • YES - 2006 model year

34 4.44%
  • YES - 2007 model year

87 11.36%
  • YES - 2008 model year

112 14.62%
  • YES - 2009 model year

145 18.93%
  • YES - 2010 model year

60 7.83%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

23 3.00%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

61 7.96%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

241 31.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

'06 r1200rt

No fuel strips failed, 36k

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEL_IN_IL View Post
    No fuel strips failed, 36k
    Hope you didn't jinx it
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

2008 K1200GT y, at 79k.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

2005 R1200RT no fuel strip failure

2005 R1200RT no fuel strip failure yet, hope I didn't just jinx myself!
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

Well my forth fuel strip died today, Nov. 29, 2017 just four and one-half months after it was replaced. Going for my fifth but that will be the last one. Next time it is trading the bike for a Honda ST 1300.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

only one replacement

07 R1200GS replaced once still acts up a bit

Thumbs down 2009 r1200r

Sixth failure, in today for the seventh new strip. First one failed at 600 miles. Sixth failed around 10800.

I only have two years left on the free warranty. Definitely will sell before the new one fails. Will not be doing BMW again if they donít come out with one that works properly before I sell it.

Between the stupid fuel strip and returning to the dealer every year to reset the computer for $30 plus tax, Iím sick of BMW. Seriously considering a Honda adventure bike.

Quote Originally Posted by markforshee View Post
    Sixth failure, in today for the seventh new strip. First one failed at 600 miles. Sixth failed around 10800.

I only have two years left on the free warranty. Definitely will sell before the new one fails. Will not be doing BMW again if they donít come out with one that works properly before I sell it.

Between the stupid fuel strip and returning to the dealer every year to reset the computer for $30 plus tax, Iím sick of BMW. Seriously considering a Honda adventure bike.
    With the Honda you can set your trip meter and use it to schedule fuel stops. Or, you actually could just ignore the idiotic fuel strip info and just set your BMW trip meter and accomplish the same thing. But if you want a Honda - go for it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by markforshee View Post

Mark - have you gone to NHTSA and filled out a complaint? That's probably more productive than complaining about it here actually. BMW isn't going to fix it due to this poll - despite how embarrassing it must be for them. There is a chap somewhere who came out with a float assembly conversion, I believe for the GS... so that could be done if BMW was motivated to do it. It will take NHTSA to motivate them.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

2008 R1200 GS Fuel Strip failure

New to forums. Bought 2008 R1200 GS bike used with 11K. Fuel gauge quit at 35K. No warranty. Odometer and trip reset works and I use trip mileage track my fuel usage for fill ups. Never considered taking it to dealer to get it fixed. Now at 53k. Now if I can find a forum to tell me why my low beam headlight quit working. I just wired a toggle switch for 12v power straight to the low beam lamp terminal. Relay good, fuse good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawsonj View Post
    New to forums. Bought 2008 R1200 GS bike used with 11K. Fuel gauge quit at 35K. No warranty. Odometer and trip reset works and I use trip mileage track my fuel usage for fill ups. Never considered taking it to dealer to get it fixed. Now at 53k. Now if I can find a forum to tell me why my low beam headlight quit working. I just wired a toggle switch for 12v power straight to the low beam lamp terminal. Relay good, fuse good.
    Welcome to the forum
    Yeah, aggravating issue

Not to hijack the fuel strip thread, but you cannot draw more current from the low beam circuit. The CANBUS wiring has limits.You can trigger a relay from the low beam, but not a load.
    And, the engine needs to be running to trigger the low beam as well.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lawsonj View Post
    A few years ago BMW extended the warranty on the fuel stip for some models/years to 12 years. I believe your bike is part of the extended warranty.

As Steve mentioned, powering electrical accesories on a CANBus equipped bike is a challenge. Your options are to power things with a fused wire directly from the battery, from a fuse block that you install or with a device called a Hex ezCAN that integrates accessories into the CANBus. I am not certain that the ezCAN is available for your model/year. Good luck and welcome.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Fuel Strip Poll

2009 r1200 gsa w/13,000 miles. no fuel strip fail knock on wood. If you have a failure does it just not show fuel level or does something else happen. thanks

Mine will show fuel remaining, and then you run out. As much as it sucks, you have to start using the trip meter. I could never trust mine again.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Well this Saturday I get my Sixth fuel strip. The fifth one was replaced less than two months ago. At that time the dealer said he replaced one for another customer and before the guy got home, the strip was dead.

I so look forward to another four hours of time wasted to get this replaced. One hour each direction and two hours to have it fixed. Not my favorite way to spend a Saturday. Reminds me of an International Scout my Dad had. It was in the shop so much that we used to refer to the shop as its second home.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...