Thread: 28L Top Case Disassembly Help - To Remove Lock Cylinder

28L Top Case Disassembly Help - To Remove Lock Cylinder

I have in my possession a 28L Top Case with a lock cylinder and no key. The top is unlocked. I am trying to remove the lock cylinder so I can re-key it to my ignition.

I can not figure out how to remove the inner liner of the bottom section so I can attempt to remove the lock cylinder. I have removed the lid and all internal screws but can't figure out what my next step is. I have looked at the microfiche but it was no help. I would appreciate help from anyone who has been through this or knows what the heck I need to do.

Phil - in this video the guy discusses getting the cylinder out of the lock at about 17:00. He also discusses how to rekey to your existing key.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Phil - in this video the guy discusses getting the cylinder out of the lock at about 17:00. He also discusses how to rekey to your existing key.

JayJay
    Thanks as usual. Right now I need help getting to the lock cylinder. Not sure if the handle assembly comes off and if so how. I haven't gotten the inner liner of the lower assembly off yet. That tutorial is done on a 49L Top Case which is a different setup then this 28L.

Sorry I can't be more help. I don't have a BMW top case or else I'd figure it out.

For what it's worth: my son has a BMW 28L top case on his F800 and told me that his lock cylinder dropped out to parts unknown one day while he was riding down the road. So removing it can't be too difficult ...

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Ah, the old tutorial on how to do this is down. It's really pretty simple though and you don't have to disassemble the case. You need to open up the little button thingy that sits above the lock cylinder (highlighted in red):

8258654046_7c2b9f5d5c_z.jpg

From there, the trick is to tape a straightened paperclip to the end of a screw driver, and then bend the end into an L-shape. This you will put down that little hole to press in the pin that retains the lock cylinder in its hole. You can shine a small flashlight down there to see where it sits. You will also need a key or something in the lock barrel to help pull it out. I think it needs to be in the unlocked position for this to work, but it may need to be moved to the locked position.

In that case, try different keys until you find one that works (sometimes a BMW dealership has extra keys lying around for this). Out of three keys I found one that worked on mine which allowed me to remove the cylinder and re-key it to my key.
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 65k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2011 R1200RT-P - "Ursula" - 18k - Purchased on 1/30/2016 at 13k miles
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

28L top case disassembly

I don't know if you ever got your answer, and I know I'm replying late to this thread. I just bought and received a 28l top case and I had to remove the key cylinder. Now, searching the forums and web left me with no information other than taking it completely apart. I tried making the little hacksaw tool, stopping by the locksmith and using their little special tools to no avail. Well, I tore right into it, removing all the screws and lid and then couldn't figure out why this thing wasn't coming apart! Alas....there are 2 lock nuts under the handle along with 2 other screws. Now once I got it apart, things just fell all to pieces! Which I thought at first wasn't all bad, well......let me tell you...whew, what a nightmare. Anyway, I got to the cylinder holder and there were some more screws to take out and then the spring then the whole holder and I could finally get to the retaining wafer. Putting all the stuff back together was a little trying. But...,here is the point of all this.....,

To take the top case apart, you only need to remove the 5 screws in the bottom of the inner liner, the 2 locking nuts under the handle as well as the 2 screws. Once the handle assembly is off of the case, there are 2 more screws that hold the pull cable / lock assembly. You do not need to remove these to separate the inner liner from the bottom.
    image.jpg
    I'm sorry I didn't think to take pictures while I was doing this, but if anyone has any questions, please message me and I will certainly be of some help.

I just took mine into Go AZ and they drilled it out and re-keyed it for the price of the new lock cylinder.

Man you guys are brave

I tried doing a self repair on a side case once... Big mistake. I watched the master mechanic, David of Pensacola BMW re-key the top case on the wife's 650 last month. Wow! I think the engines are a simple design compared to the engineering that goes into the hard cases.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Disassembly

I did take some pictures (as there are none to be found in my part of the internet.

The top is held on with 4 long screws. The inner lower liner can be taken apart, 1. by removing the 5 screws, and 2 on the inside, 2: by taking off the handle assembly 2 nuts, 2 screws, and then 2 more screws under the handle. The 7 screws under rubber bumpers do not have to be removed, as they hold the two locking assemblies. The latch for the rack needs to be open. And the front of the inner liner comes up first, as your get the lock assembly to clear, then the 2 handle studs.

Assembly was easiest for me putting the inner liner face down, insuring the rack latch pivots are aligned, and putting the outer lower cover on. Heres a few picture. There was no access for the lock cylinder to be removed from the top access. I had to use the paperclip trick to pull the tumbler.

Pictures are worth many words, so here are a few.

DSCF8204.jpgDSCF8207.jpgDSCF8206.jpg
    2016 R1200RT
    1977 R100S
    a couple of old British bikes
    IBA 236

2016 R1200RT
    1977 R100S
    IBA 236

More 2

2016 R1200RT
    1977 R100S
    IBA 236

To remove the lock cylinder from the top case no disassembly of the case is needed.

You need a simple lock pick to disengage the 'locking wafer' in the lock cylinder and the cylinder will pull out. Some folks make their own pick and some use a bent paper clip. There are several youtube tutorials on the process. Removing the cylinder only takes a minute or two. If you are adept to the procedure, less than one minute.
    Once cylinder is removed, wafers can be aligned for you ignition keys configuration.

Good luck with the re-key.

Disassembly

I should mention here that my disassembly was not caused by the need to rekey the lock. The internal mechanisms were binding (due to wd-40 and lots of accumulated dirt and debris)

The pictures are for reference for the next poor person that has to take one apart.

I also wanted to point out that my case did not have an access "to stick a screw driver into that hole" in hopes of releasing the tab from outside the lock. So plan on using the paperclip with the bent end to fre the lock.
    2016 R1200RT
    1977 R100S
    IBA 236

One can just imagine the engineers sitting in their office after a lunch that included a good number of beers.
    They're saying "Let's, just for fun, design this thing using the maximum number of parts. That'll keep the mechanics guessing!"

Hard to think there's truly a good reason for making it so complex.

Reminds me of the Laycock de Normanville overdrive unit.
    I believe their company motto was "Why use 5 parts when 30 will do?"
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '75 Red R75/6
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.