Thread: low beam issues

low beam issues

A friend and myself both have R1200 GSAs (2007 & 2009); and we are experiencing the same problem. The head light low beam will not work. Lamps have been checked(they checked out good) and replaced just as a precautionary measure w/o any success. We have also tried a quick fix mentioned on the Internet of disconnecting the battery(+ & -) for a short period and then re-connecting also w/o success. Outside of this little issue the bikes have been performing flawlessly. Any info on correcting this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. eric w.

Welcome to the forum, Eric, and your post! One of the moderators will end up moving this to the Hexhead/Camhead forum area later to get other owner's eyeballs on your issues. Hang on...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I assume that you are checking it with the engine running? The low beam won't come on with the ket until the bike is started. Are you showing a LAMPF warning?
    Last edited by beemerphile; 02-11-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    I assume that you are checking it with the engine running? The low beam won't dome on with the ket until the bike is started. Are you showing a LAMPF warning?
    Although it may sound like a silly question, it is legitimate! Hard to believe both of you to have same problem!
    It is a great set up not to turn the lights on until the engine is running. Saves the battery power, as well as the bulb's
    life. As a funny part, I never noticed this either when I bought the RT. Shortly after I changed the bulbs with HID's .
    Checked the bulbs on the bench before I installed them, and all was good. Once installed , to my surprise, neither one worked!!
    That is when I first learned the LO will not come on until you start the engine.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I learned the same lesson the first time I changed mine. Glad I googled it before I took the new bulb back out!

low beam issue 2

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    I assume that you are checking it with the engine running? The low beam won't dome on with the ket until the bike is started. Are you showing a LAMPF warning?
    I am checking the low beam with the engine running; no low beam, and I'm getting the LAMPF warning. Both bikes have the same symptoms. That is a good question though and I should have included that info in my original question. Thanks for the reply.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    We’re the connectors damaged at all? The plastic gets brittle and breaks over time. Had to replace mine with some ceramic ones.

I have seen the bulb orientation on GS bulbs cause a new bulb to not work. Two terminals, but they seem to like only one orientation.
    It is possible to put the bulb in 180° off and have the locking clip engage
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Any update?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait