Thread: 2011 R1200R Engine Temperature Gauge

2011 R1200R Engine Temperature Gauge

SO, I have a 2011 R1200R with 46,000 miles. In years past the engine temperature indicator, after a few miles gone to the center position bar on the gauge and stayed there regardless of ambient temperature from 25 to 95, and engine speed from 20mph to 85mph, the only exception being was being stuck in traffic I did have it tick to one bar over center on one occasion. However, last year on my trip to SLC while going across Kansas the ambient temp was 106 and at highway speed, 75mph, the gauge did tick up to one bar over center however returned to normal as the ambient temp went down. This year on my trip to and returning from Des Moines I noticed my engine temperature is now running one bar over center position at an ambient temperatures in the mid 80's at highway speeds of 70mph plus. It should be stated that the radiator is NOT pluged or overly dirty, I do have paint flaking off the radiator on both left and right sides, but still well intact over the fins.

DO I think this is a problem? No not yet. I'm just curious if others are seeing similar under similar conditions.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Our various R12XX are fairly consistent in the average display. only time I really am concerned is stuck in rolling traffic,and only once has mine maxed out in 135K, and H's Roadster once as well in its 120K's life. Now our KTM Dukes are a whole nuther animal

I venture the sensor eventually degrades and may give different values in time. If radiator is clear and cylinder fins clear, wouldn't give it a big concern. YRMV
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Our various R12XX are fairly consistent in the average display. only time I really am concerned is stuck in rolling traffic,and only once has mine maxed out in 135K, and H's Roadster once as well in its 120K's life. Now our KTM Dukes are a whole nuther animal

I venture the sensor eventually degrades and may give different values in time. If radiator is clear and cylinder fins clear, wouldn't give it a big concern. YRMV
    Thanks for the reply Steve, no worries here mate, I believe you are correct, it could be the sensor changing or the thermostat may be changing slightly as well. One has no way of knowing but there could have always been only one degree separating the old reading from the new. Always interesting to hear the experience's of others.

Did you and H make it to Des Moines?

I went with a small group, H said to have fun in the corn fields We have been thru a few times and the bigger H sitting over Iowa on the weather forecast made her say bye-bye
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    SO, I have a 2011 R1200R with 46,000 miles. In years past the engine temperature indicator, after a few miles gone to the center position bar on the gauge and stayed there regardless of ambient temperature from 25 to 95, and engine speed from 20mph to 85mph, the only exception being was being stuck in traffic I did have it tick to one bar over center on one occasion. However, last year on my trip to SLC while going across Kansas the ambient temp was 106 and at highway speed, 75mph, the gauge did tick up to one bar over center however returned to normal as the ambient temp went down. This year on my trip to and returning from Des Moines I noticed my engine temperature is now running one bar over center position at an ambient temperatures in the mid 80's at highway speeds of 70mph plus. It should be stated that the radiator is NOT pluged or overly dirty, I do have paint flaking off the radiator on both left and right sides, but still well intact over the fins.

DO I think this is a problem? No not yet. I'm just curious if others are seeing similar under similar conditions.
    Mine acts the same. In high ambient at speeds over ~70 Iíll see the 4th bar. It sounds completely normal.
    2008 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Mine acts the same. In high ambient at speeds over ~70 Iíll see the 4th bar. It sounds completely normal.
    Thanks for the reply.

from Planet Dirt

Hi there:
    Mine is also very consistent in what it does depending on the ride. Only when I'm in heavy traffic I see the temperature rising, but levels a few miles after I move at least at 30m/h speed.
    Not all the bikes behave the same, but if you learn to read yours, when something not expected happens, you know if its or not good for your bike.

.......enjoy the ride.

Dan