• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Close Call K1600GT

gunnert

Biker
Had a great "Boys Weekend" riding the back roads of central WV. Weather was near perfect, on the cool side which means with full riding gear you were perfectly comfortable. Boys Weekend started about 10 years ago with my now 17 year old and me and a weekend in October. This year we were joined by 5 other bikes and we were on the new K1600GT (WHAT a bike!). Had a great weekend, road numerous twisties for 2 1/2 days but... with about 4 miles of the "good stuff" left, heading north on Trout Pond Road into Wardensville, WV I captured the vidoe below. Pay attention when you get close the 40 second mark....this was my lucky day! The camera is a VIO POV with the head mounted on the front fender.

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...e+Call&usg=AFQjCNFfTld4cYCXz-YedBf6WWaK0PjquA

Yikes, that road rat almost took you out!

Glad it ended well.

Nice ride video.:thumb

deer

Glad she missed you, too close for comfort for sure. I had a similar incident at the RA rally in June, never saw it and missed it by inches. It will sure make you stop and check your shorts at the next restroom.

So if the rider had come to a stop at the stop sign (rather than rolling through) and then continued at his same rate of speed, then the road rat may have been and gone...;)

Rider Safety....

Glad you were not hurt...

For sure... LUCK!

LUCK
Noun:
Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

This would be a great training video for a classroom discussion in an MSF Class. Beginner or Experienced.

Lots of items to talk about here....

Wow! Sure was a close call. Watch for 'em all the time here in Iowa, especially around logical crossings. Especially this time of the year when the bucks are more interested in the does, than in watching where they're going....

John

It was close.
That looks like it was a bit more than 35 mph, also.
I had 3 in a row that close last year in Utah, Highway 62 north toward Koosharam.
This year another rider made a direct contact with one at the same location, split the deer into two pieces, ruined the RT, kept it upright, and had no injury.
Other than hurt feelings about a ruined RT.
dc

That's a little TOO close for comfort! Wow!!! Glad to hear you guys are okay.

Ride SAFE!

BT

That is damn scary. I jumped when I saw the deer. How did you not hit it ? Did you break ?
This is why they should genetically alter deer DNA. I want all deer to be safety yellow and glow in the dark. If they weren't brown they wouldn't blend into the foliage so easily.

Lucky I never saw the deer until here hoofs hit the pavement. Pure lucK I didn't hit her! The speed limit dropped to 35 from 45 as I came out of the forest into the outskirts of Wardensville. My 17 year old son, on the back, never saw the deer, it happened that fast!

Back