• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Source for value?

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
I would like to get a ballpark value for a 1998 R1100R-75 anniversary edition I own. My insurance company will assign a value but not for the special edition model. It only has 6,500 miles on it and looks and runs new. New tires, 6,000 mile service done at BMW dealer and has origional and Corbin seat, BMW plexi windshield, etc. No it is not for sale.
Thanks for the help.
Ralph

Attachments

• Clipboard 1.jpg
    Clipboard 1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 152
A ballpark number did not work when I went to up the insurance on my '65 Pontiac Catalina with the original 421 HO Tri-Power and 8-lug wheels. To get insurance above the KBB value, I had to get it professionally appraised. But, I also now have a realistic sale price. YMMV

There are only two values that matter.

1. Whatever the insurance company gives you if its totaled.

2. Whatever John Does gives you if you want to sell it.

Special edition and Anniversary values are strictly emotional and don't mean much.

There are only two values that matter.

1. Whatever the insurance company gives you if its totaled.

2. Whatever John Does gives you if you want to sell it.

Special edition and Anniversary values are strictly emotional and don't mean much.

But he is looking for a value to stipulate for the insurance company - then the premium gets based on that value.

Well, be glad its not a J brand. Almost (but not quite) all of them that age are worth very little indeed- most would not be worth any comprehensive coverage.

For an older BMW (which this is) in great condition you might get $1000 - $1500 over book from the right buyer but don't have any fantasies about this bike being worth some large amount despite its condition. Same value statement generally applies to Harleys and a few euro-bikes. The world is full of folks who want $3000-5000 or more over book for a good condition old model, forgetting the obvious fact that rot on rubber and plastic is inevitable and no old machine is "like new" unless it has had a massive replacement / rebuild - for which owners will not recoup the cost. I can name a bunch of these overpriced things in my area that owners have tried to sell for quite a while with no results...

Remember this is a manufactured item of which was not rare- anniversary edition or whatever matter not at all. If it were an original Cobra or similar it would be a real collectors items and truly worth something but its not.

If it were mine, I wouldn't waste my time and effort to trying to get some high and unrealistic appraisal and then insure it for that amount. A realistic amount over book is the likely number.

Mods are worth pennies on the dollar. You might be able to squeeze a few hundred extra out of it for the low miles, although a bike ridden less than 500 miles per year is a bit of a red flag for most BMW afficionados. New tires are worth nothing. The SE designation is worth nothing. Basically you have an R1100R. It's not a particularly popular model. It will sell for between $3500 and $4000, depending on location and time of year.

Usually, dealers will give you a value in writing if you tell them, you need it for insurance purposes. I did this for my 1983 CB1100R, which was never sold in the U.S. and the insuarnace went to a maximum of $5,000.-, because there was no data. The Honda dealer, gave me a certificate stating a fair market value of $10,000.- and the insurance accepted this as a replacement value.

Motorcycle Consumer News in regular intervals also runs values by year for every motorcycle model. I don't remember, however, if they consider different conditions.

This helps

Thanks all,
Please don't think I was trying to make this a huge value or a "special or rare" thing. I just wanted to find a way to know its value and then get an agreement with my insurance co. so that my premium and the coverage meant something. I'll see the BMW dealer. Like many of you I have been through this before. My son rolled our Subaru that would end up costing $8K to replace in 1987. The ins. co offered $3,900 for it as a total. Thankfully my state had a Banking and Insurance consumer advocate who helped us get over $7K and prevented reprisals for objecting.
Say I buy this bike for $4K, I insure it and pay the payments. I look for similar sales and they run $4K to $6K. If I crunch it I don't want to be paid $2K for the low ball crudy R1100 price as it is a better bike than that. I am willing to pay premiums for its value. As I said my other bike has an "agreed" value of $4K, its a nicely maintained low mileage 1983 R80RT. I pay them a premium knowing what I will get for a loss. Why is my "new" bike a mystery value? What other insurance do you buy without knowing what it will pay? "Oh just pay us $30 per month and we'll give you life insurance and when you die we'll pay what we think your life was worth to your widow!" Wouldn't that be nuts???
Ralph

You can always use E-bay to find out what a comparable model DOESN'T sell for.

Back