• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100 handlebar diameter twilight zone?

mysteriousfish

Went to install some sweet Fehling Euro bars on the 91 R100 today...22mm standard size for all airhead bars...right? well, they were too big in diameter...i do not have calipers, but with a ruler, my stock bars measure 20mm in diameter....my controls will not fit the 22s...have searched many threads, but no mention of 20mm bars...nor can I find any for sale anywhere...what gives...any ideas?

Attachments

• bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 204
Thanks Kurt for your reply. both the Fehling site and Flanders site say that 22 millimeters is the BMW standard. But my bars are only 20 millimeters I can't find anyone selling 20 millimeter bars. is there more than 1 standard bar diameter? Really hoping to avoid grinding/sanding the replacement bars down...thanks

I'm unclear are what you're asking. You mention wanting to avoid sanding/grinding the bars to fit your control 22mm perches, but state that they are 20mm in diameter.

There is a slight difference in bar diameters based on the "schedule" of tubing that the manufacturer uses. Occasionally, as a result of the manufacturing process, the end of the tube can become slightly flared and not fit into the perch.

If the bars are too tight to fit into your perches, perhaps all that is needed is to carefully open up the "clamping" end with a large screwdriver, etc.

Fehling's website notes their "22mm" bars as: 22mm [7/8"] meaning... that they're the same size (actually, the 7/8" bar is 0.009" larger than 22mm).

See > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=45596

you got these from?

Last edited:
From what I discern from Max's BMW microfiche and a 91 R100 handle bar part number, it seems the part changed after 1990. A search using the part number of 32 72 1 451 734 (throttle handle housing) on Max's site yields that it fits 1990-96 airheads and K bikes. Euro bars for a K-bike may work OK. Good luck!

Edit: Ok, it seems the K-bike Bars are also 22 mm. So, I have no idea. Maybe the handlebar controls have a spacer to fit the smaller diameter bars?

thanks for all the help..Kurt, I think you were right on......these new bars must be mis-labeled..not BMW bars........going to try a different pair....jeez...

Handlebars

Before you go lookong for more handlebars, get the true diameter measured. For some reason, some of those bars are just a tad wider at the ends. A little time on a bench grinder will take the fat spot off and the clutch and brake perches will slide on.
Just something I noticed with the Fehling bars.

Before you go lookong for more handlebars, get the true diameter measured. For some reason, some of those bars are just a tad wider at the ends. A little time on a bench grinder will take the fat spot off and the clutch and brake perches will slide on.
Just something I noticed with the Fehling bars.

Indeed, I had to do this to get the perches on:

Bar2.jpg

Another issue is that the straight portion of the bar wasn't long enough for /6 controls. I could have lived with it and made it work if I hadn't planned to use bar end mirrors. I ended up with the Flanders "sidecar" bar--the position is nearly identical.

I'm wondering what a caliper measurement of the OP's bar would be--the end looks to be swaged down a wee bit to get that 20mm reading.

... For some reason, some of those bars are just a tad wider at the ends.

Occasionally, as a result of the manufacturing process, the end of the tube can become slightly flared and not fit into the perch.

I would be interested to learn if Fehling's "22mm" bars actually are 22mm [0.866"].

I'm guessing they are actually, 0.875" [22,222mm]

Both Fehling and Flanders bars are 22mm. You should be able to slip them on once you have removed the pinch bolt that locks them down to the handlebar.

mystery solved...got some digital calipers and the Fehling bars that i have struggled with are actually 22.59 mm in diameter...also slightly out of round...just enough to cause me grief...my stock bars come in at 21.9 mm....I am working with seller to exchange...going to insist on measurement before shipping this time....

BTW...that is an awesome red R100 classic...inspiration indeed!

Back