• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hiding Oil 2012 R1200RT

As for adding oil, I beg to differ from some opinion here: never, ever add oil until the sight glass is entirely full. Here is why: once there is no more empty space above the oil level, you will not know when to stop and you run the risk of putting TOO MUCH oil. And too much oil can be damageable to your engine. To stop ?½as soon as?? the sight glass is full is courting danger due to the viscosity of oil, which takes a bit of time before going all the ay down. Plus, of course, you cannot add oil AND check the sight glass at the same time. By the time you can actually check, it may be already too late. Since oil showing even only at the bottom of the sight glass is already enough, why run the risk? Half way or 3/4 up is way sufficient. Little at a time, slow and deliberate is paramount here.

My $0.02

Well said, which is why I keep mine at 1/2 to 3/4 full cold, so it can expand and still not go over the top of the sight glass.

Wayne

I just rented a camhead today and put on 400 miles. The sight glass went from about 1/8 to 3/4 depending on when I looked and how long it sat. I had no issues with reading oil at all. I sort of take a running average in my head. I don't add oil if it is at the bottom unless it is always at the bottom. One gas fill it's 5/8, one it's 1/8, another it's 3/4, etc. It's fine.

So, the camhead behaved exactly like my R12 Hexhead.

And I loved that engine down low around 2k rpm.

14,000+ miles on my 2012 GS/A, and it still swallows oil like a high schooler chugging beer at a college party. No fooling, I've added more oil in my 2012 BMW than I've added in all three of my Harleys in well over 100,000 miles. I hate that I have to constantly check the oil while I'm out on the road. Literally the only thing I dislike about the bike.

One more time

I changed it again today at lunch. 5812 miles. Last time was 2750 miles.

Bike hot, drain oil and remove filter on center stand.

Add 4 quarts and new filter.

Fire it up. Go for a ride.

Return, check on side stand running. Just below the red circle on top.

Shut off. Leave a few minutes put on center stand. Just over the top of the sight glass.

Time to go home, 5mm? below the red line in sight glass still on center stand cold.

Go home, no worries, ride 3,000 miles check occasionally, repeat.

Back