• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle carrying trailer?

Beemer01

As I live in ultra flat Chicago and you have to ride for hours of frankly boring freeways to get to riding that is interesting, I'm toying with the idea of a small trailer to put the Beemer on and drive in some comfort with the bike in tow.

At the risk of sounding like a HD rider - does anyone have any suggestions on brands and models?

This looks interesting - http://theusatrailerstore.com/products/products/the-original-slick-wheelie.html

I love great riding, I'm just tired of riding a day to get there!

Depending on how often you think you'd use it, consider just renting as needed. You can rent a trailer at Uhaul or other rental places several times over for what you'd pay for an equivalent trailer. You also don't have to store it.

I trailer one or two bikes behind the motorhome all the time. I have, and have had many trailers through the years. Most all the manufactures use a Dexter axle but there are a few others. You didn't mention what your vehicle is but that and the trailer hitch kinda determines what your limitations are. Generally the largest trailer you feel comfortable with will be a good start as it will be the easiest to tow and back-up. With today's smaller vehicles, the trailer would probably be 5'X8' or 6'X10' in deck size, get as large a wheel as you can but in this size it will probably be a 13" wheel. As far as the GVW (gross vehicle weight) either 2000 or 2990. Over 3000 lbs GVW usually gets into having to have a title and increases the expense.
If you want to go all out, there are some nice enclosed trailers which also serve as a great place to store the bike and even a place to sleep in when you get there. Good luck. OM
btw, I myself would skip the one wheel in the air thing in your link for any kind of long distance use.

If you're towing with a smaller vehicle, Aluma makes nice lightweight trailers.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

http://www.alumaklm.com/products.html

I agree with Braddog, that renting is the way to go if you are only going to trailer a bike a couple of times a year. But do a cost-benefit analysis. Also, consider all the other uses you will find for a trailer. I used to be one of those guys who said he would never be without a pickup. Now, I am one who says he will never be without a trailer. I bought a used Kendon Dual Rail that gets more use as a flat deck utility trailer than an MC trailer. It is small, storable, and maneuverable with both the T&C van and a trailer dolly. It can carry one ton of cargo on a torsion bar suspension, does not require special licensing or electric brakes, has locking wheel chocks, blah, blah, blah. I also agree with Omega Man and not use the ÔÇÿwheel draggerÔÇÖ for anything other than short runs as well as if you decide to get a trailer, get one that will carry everything you think you will haul with a cushion for extra capacity.

I have two flat bed trailers, one similar to a trailer-in-a-bag. Last week I had need to move some wood for my son, some 60 miles away. I simply drove up, rented a U-Haul, took his scrap wood to the dump and then returned the trailer. I told myself that I should have done this years ago.

However, if I could go back in time and get my first trailer, it would definitely have walls so that it would easily be available for other uses besides transporting my bikes from home to a dealer and back.

Something like Lee is showing will do the job and is usually comfortably affordable, especially if you are travelling short distances in good weather. Storage is a problem even if you find one that you can fold up.

I looked for a long time and finally gave up due to the limitations, poor suspension and handling characteristics of flatbed utility trailers. I bought an enclosed Wells Cargo cycle wagon, expensive - yes, requires rented offsite storage - yes, but, incredibly stable on the road even when in a cross wind, very easy to load and lock down the bike, out of sight and secure for overnight travel and the bike is all weather protected.

Was the purchase good value, nope, only use it in the fall to transfer the RT from the frozen north to the sunny south and return in the spring and I pay $75.00/month all year to store it and further $70.00/month while it sits in the sunny south.

Unless you have another use for a trailer, any trailer, I think renting is good.

Not a BMW

I think I read in Motorcycle Consumer News about these, the drive shaft equipped motorcycle can not be towed with one of those was the conclusion.

I used a 5 by 10, to take motorcycle down to ride when my wife was with me. She does not ride, and I was going to. (she got to visit, I got to ride).

I installed a winch with a remote, to pull the MC up slowly and it worked very well.
I think I sell that open one and look for a enclosed unit.

Unless you have another use for a trailer, any trailer, I think renting is good.

It's not until you own a trailer that you realize you can use it for so many things. I have a couple of trailers, an Aluma like the one pictured, and an enclosed 6X12 cargo trailer. If I'm not using them, someone is. I really need to start charging rent.

Seriously, trailers haul motorcycles, leaves, lumber, insulation, dirt, you name it. The nice thing about the Aluma is the lightness, I pull mine behind my ATV at times when doing yard things. So many uses.....

Two kind of people in this world; those who own cargo trailers and those who want to borrow them. :hug

Last edited:
I think the utility of owning vs renting a trailer primarily depends on the ability to store it conveniently. When we lived in Kansas we had 5 acres so parking the trailer beside the shop was no issue. Here in Texas we have 12 acres and parking a trailer is not an issue.

Nobody needs one more thing in their way, so then buying and storing vs renting comes into play. I use our trailer for many things but mostly bike rescue or utility use. Where we live it would be a 120 mile drive to go rent a trailer, and a 120 mile drive to return it. Renting is not a good option here. That would not be the case for the OP in the Chicago area.

If a person has a place to conveniently park the trailer out of the way, and wants some versatility then I think the smaller "landscape" trailers with about 12" siderails and a built in loading ramp makes the most sense for versatility. But one of the more "trick" folding of standup models might work best for just bike hauling if parking space is at a premium.

I bought my trailer in 1992 for $350. I've had plenty of space to park it at zero cost. It has been well worth it. If I had to pay $75 a month ($900/yr) to parki it some place I probably wouldn't own it. Folks who break down in the Big Bend would just have to find their own way to haul their bike.

If a person has a place to conveniently park the trailer out of the way, and wants some versatility then I think the smaller "landscape" trailers with about 12" siderails and a built in loading ramp makes the most sense for versatility.

I have a 5x8 utility trailer that is set up with removable "Pingel" wheel chocks. It's light enough I towed it with 4 cylinder Subarus for many years.

In addition to bike hauling, it can be lined with a poly tarp to pick up a yard of compost for the garden, move machinery or anything else. It will do anything a pickup will do but because of the low deck height, it is far easier to load a bike than into a pickup. It then allows a lot more latitude for the type of tow vehicle you want.

The model I have is inexpensive and made by a small local factory. It is the same as the picture, but instead of the fixed ramp has a pair of loading rails that can store under the deck. Virtually no wind resistance that way.

utilitytrailer1.jpg

Beemer01, if you decide on a enclosed trailer I have a friend with one I think is pretty slick. It's a Excalibur. I'm not sure if that company is still in business, but Iron Horse makes a similar trailer.
http://ironhorsetrailers.com/

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Check webbikeworld.com for a listing of m-c trailer companies. Also see tractorsupply.com and harborfreight.com. A top-shelf m-c trailer is the Baxley line. They also make one of the best wheel chocks, IMO. If you have other uses for a trailer besides m-c transport, and room to store one, a utility trailer is a good investment. A 4x6' utility trailer with a wheel chock and rails will tow a m-c easily behind a small car, if you get the tongue weight right (always a key to smooth, safe towing)

pete

They also make one of the best wheel chocks, IMO.

Another vote here for Baxley Chocks. I bought two for the trailer and also use them in the garage. I like how the Baxley clamps onto the tire.

na1g said:
A 4x6' utility trailer with a wheel chock and rails will tow a m-c easily behind a small car

A 4x6 might be too short for a K1200GT.

>>a utility trailer is a good investment<<

Indeed it is. I use mine to carry my bike, lawn tractor (if needed), and my Kawasaki "Mule". I wouldn't be without one.

Attachments

• photo84.JPG
    photo84.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1,703
If you don't own a trailer its nice if your brother does. I just had a neighbor pull in the yard and tell me there was a motorcyclist with a flat tire about two miles up the roaed. That puts him 51 miles out of town. Being a dobee I grabbed a plug set and my air tank and drove up there. The blowout I could stick my hand through was a bit much for my plug kit.

I came back home and got my trailer and retrieved him off the highway and got it parked in the front drive. (12 acres, remember). He called a friend who picked him up and his brother will bring his trailer for the bike in the morning.

Having somebody around with a trailer is a good thing.

Back