• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 BMW R1200RT Comments

b25bsaboy

As a newby to the BMW world who has been around BMW Airheads, I came across a 2009 BMW R1200RT with about 114,000 kilometers. Full set of service records and from doing a walk around this machine has been well looked after.
Being that I really know nothing about these machines, what do the masses of the Hexhead/Camheads think of these machines. What should I lookout for? Is there any pro's or con's of these new machines.
I was originally going to look at and purchase a new 2013 Triumph Trophy 1200 but don't want to take out a second mortgage as they are priced at here in Canada $ 22,500. Tax in out the door.

Attachments

• IMG-20121018-00208.jpg
    IMG-20121018-00208.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Check for final drive, rare but potential (search forums on what to look for), this is after they redid the fuel pump so chances are minimal there but still not the most robust design, up to 2011 ish model likes to eat the occasional fuel strip. Other than that not much. Check the feel of the suspension on a test ride, if you like it awesome, some note that they dont like the feel around that mileage and change out for ohlins etc, and get an idea on the last brake job (rear likes to eat the inner pad prematurely). That is probably most of the majors. Overall its a good bike and pretty well sorted. If you wrench at all (guessing you do with an airhead) this one is pretty straight forward sans the electrics.

Just a thought...

If you can test drive a 2010 model in addition the 2009, you can decide whether the engine/transmission changes in 2010 are worth the extra cost. Even though I have a 2009, I really like the shorter gearing in 1-2-3 that came with the engine change in 2010. This might be particularly important if you ride with a pillion.

Another potential problem with the R1200RT/GS/R is the fuel pump controller aka FPC which resides in a well on top of the gas tank. This location makes it potentially subject to getting wet and self-destructing, leaving the fuel pump without power. BMW has created a new FPC with better water-proofing ($135 US), and BurnsMoto makes a $25 jumper for a short-term, on-the-road fix if the problem occurs. I've had my 2008 RT in a whole lot of rain during the past few weeks (7.25 inches in Abilene, TX), and no sign of trouble. Also, others have had problems with fuel supply to the engine. There are some explanations for fixes for all of these issues on the forum.

Last edited:
2009 is an excellent year. Last year before a fairly significant change in the model.

(2005-2009).

I have an '09 I bought new. has about 10,000 trouble free miles. I understand fully this is not a lot of miles for an RT. The only repair has been a new fuel strip and a recall on the front brake lines.

As far as the FPC goes, I discussed this with the service manager at our dealership recenyly. He said they had a rash of them come in but that was a few years back and the later model bikes (like my '09) he had seen none. I like the 2009 switch gear better and the appearance better than the newer bikes.

MY persoanal opinion is that 2009 is a great year to buy and the newer engine is a non-issue. If you ride 2-up a lot the small bit of lower end torque in the newer model may be an advantage for you, if not go for the '09 depending also on what the bike is equipped with.

just get it.

i would.

i told my kids i ain't leaving them nothing.

i want them to be SAD at the funeral.

When I bought my '09, the '10's were available. I chose the '09 as it was the last of the single cams and by my reading fairly easy to service.

I'm just in the 16K range on the RT and to date the only real expense has been replacing the OEM Bridgestones with a pair of PR3's. Any other expense has been voluntary i.e. seat, windshield, top box, tank bag, GPS. I do my best to stay away from ethanol fuels and to date not even a fuel strip has had to be replaced. Still on warranty and am considering extended warranty although the bike has been so good I'm reluctant to write the cheque. Have you checked the in-service date to see if your purchase would allow for extended warranty, it might offer you peace of mind?

Regardless of the bike chosen they all will have problems and expense sooner or later but I'm sure that the smile I get from riding the RT will ease the pain when my turn comes. Excellent fit, finish, handling, suspension, brakes, weather protection and rider ergonomics. Like many on this forum, I've tried and owned many other rides over many years and I'm pretty sure this is the one - it really is a kick, regardless of the year you choose.

Looks like an after market seat. That has to be the single most popular change by most new owners of this bike. At least you'll have that mod out of the way (assuming that you like that seat - looks like a Corbin).

As others have said - the 2009 is a good year to have.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Another potential problem with the R1200RT/GS/R is the fuel pump controller aka FPC which resides in a well on top of the gas tank. .

Just the RT & GS have the well in a horizontal position...the R is under the tank vertical.

I would definitely take a serious look at this bike. Yes, the driver seat is aftermarket and yes 2009 is the last year of the series so all the 'kinks' were worked out in that design by then. Of course I am biased having two RTs in the family already - i have not had any FPC issues and have checked regularly for moisture in the location most see it. Neither have I had any fuel strip issues but do avoid using ethanol tainted fuel and have been very rigorous on final drive maintenance and see no issues at all. I don't put on as many miles as a lot of folks on this forum but have accumulated ~70K Km on my '08 RT with only normal maintenance and wear items such as tires.

what should I lookout for? b25bsaboy

Rick:

I would have Anderwerks do a pre purchase inspection on the bike before closing on it. As part of the inspection, have Dave's guys pull the hatch for the fuel pressure controller, inspect the cavity for corrosion, and seal the hatch when they're done.

I had them do that to the ST I got a few months ago.

Good luck with the purchase. RTs are popular bikes, and a lot of guys think it's BMW's best model.

Is Blackfoot throwing in some warranty, for you?

Last edited:
Rick:

I would have Anderwerks do a pre purchase inspection on the bike before closing on it. As part of the inspection, have Dave's guys pull the hatch for the fuel pressure controller, inspect the cavity for corrosion, and seal the hatch when they're done.

I had them do that to the ST I got a few months ago.

Good luck with the purchase. RTs are popular bikes, and a lot of guys think it's BMW's best model.

Is Blackfoot throwing in some warranty, for you?

The owner of the R1200RT that I bought the bike from directly has warranty till April 2014. Was thinking of having Dave and his crew go through the bike before the 2013 season!

Ah, good plan, and you're in good shape on the warranty. Have the hatch sealed as part of the inspection.

Look forward to meeting you at a Rocky Bow breakfast sometime.

Go for it!

Go for it! I've got a 2009 RT with almost 18,000 miles on it. Only two issues since the day I picked it up new and both were covered under warranty. On the day I picked it up the fuel strip failed and had to be replaced, nothing after that until about a month ago I had a leaky final drive seal which was replaced. That's it, nothing other than that and the bike has performed beautifully, I have been doing the maintenance on it myself since the 12,000 mile check and it's easy to work on. This bike is a fantastic touring bike and is nimble like a sport bike as well, you really can't go wrong if you still have an active warranty and you can see the complete maintenance records on the bike. Good luck with your choice, I think my RT is the best bike I've ever owned.

Ah, good plan, and you're in good shape on the warranty. Have the hatch sealed as part of the inspection.

Look forward to meeting you at a Rocky Bow breakfast sometime.

Look forward to meeting you as well and will try and get out to the breakfast.

I went to the HexHead/CamHeads DIY/Tech Library discussing some of the step by step needed to complete the various task. Oh boy this is going to prove some interesting times as it appears there is some complexity and there appears to be no short cuts. Guess I may have found a machine that I will have to let others do the work, but will respond to this after I have had the R1200RT for the first year. I have to confess I have not been this excited about a machine since I got my 2001 1200 Trophy. This machine took a lot of work to put the bike right and it was flawless for the time that I owned it. When I bought it from the Triumph/BMW dealer here in Calgary, I was told it was haunted as the machine was three years old and had gone thought four (4) owners. It appeared when it was built in Hinkley, some things were missed steps on the assembly line electrically and the dealer didn't want to take the time to resolve. Took me about a year and 7 hours Dyno time and it turned out to be a beautiful riding machine. From there started collecting Airheads and being limited storage room wise something had to go.
I am really looking forward to being in the saddle of the R1200RT!

That aftermarket seat appears to be quite low, as though it was built for a shorter rider. If that doesn't really suit you, the dealer probably has a used OE seat around.

That aftermarket seat appears to be quite low, as though it was built for a shorter rider. If that doesn't really suit you, the dealer probably has a used OE seat around.

Exactly my thoughts even though it's a Russell Daylong custom heated seat.

Got my hands on some of the machines service records and it's a print out of who did what and the cost. No details, as i will ask for that and I am sure the owner will have no issues giving that up.

Two things that jumped out at me was this machine averaged a new set of tires every 10,500 - 12,000 km's. Thursty little devil on the pavement. And the second thing was when he changed his own oil he used non Spectro 4 10/40. I would have thought using semi synthetic would be the norm, but I do not have an owners manual to verify my thoughts.

From the looks of things, I am not seeing any major warranty related issues other than wear and tear which in my mind is normal. I sometimes think when a machine is used regularly it is internally in better shape that machines that average very low mileage in an average year.

Also couldn't sleep last night and discovered Max BMW has videos on servicing. I was concerned about taking the tupperwear off to do some servicing and from what I saw to get at the air filter, will be a walk in the park. The 2011 Triumph Trophy, one literally had to remove all four (4) carburetors before you even got access to the air filter plastic frame. For me it was at least a four hour job. What I saw last night is a 30 - 45 minutes at most.

Ya, I think I am getting more comfortable with what I just bought. Now let's get it home.

Last edited:
...I would have thought using semi synthetic would be the norm...b25bsaboy

Rick:

Don't want to start an oil thread, but lots of guys run their boxers on dino, and BMW does not insist on synthetic or semi synthetic in the owners manual. I'll dig mine out tomorrow and get you the specs. 10/40 is approved for certain temperature ranges.

In any event, you won't be riding that thing for the next few days. :D

Rick -

My observation would be that 10-12,000 km on a set of tires is not a big deal. Wear depends of the tire brand, the way the bike was ridden, and the condition of the roads where it was ridden. Here in New England, the roads are anything but kind to treadwear!

Warranty until April 2014 is terrific! Have you reviewed the copy of the extended warranty coverage and its exclusions? Would a $2500+ final drive replacement be fully covered? More importantly, have you reviewed the wording regarding the warranty transfer? At this stage, it pays to go over the details...

Rick:

Don't want to start an oil thread, but lots of guys run their boxers on dino, and BMW does not insist on synthetic or semi synthetic in the owners manual. I'll dig mine out tomorrow and get you the specs. 10/40 is approved for certain temperature ranges.

In any event, you won't be riding that thing for the next few days. :D

I used 10/40 Dino in my '09 since new. that is what the dealer recommends up here in the Great Pacific Northwest.

Castrol 4t or BMW branded.

Back