• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75S Heated grips diagnosis

Zagando

BMW uber alles!
I'm installing my new aftermarket fuel-pressure regulator (Standard PR134 if anyone is curious; $51 via Amazon delivered in about 2-3 days flat) today and while I have the tank off I'm having a look at my heated grip's wiring.

The grips have been operating intermittently for some time so if I can fix them while the tank is off that would be great (assuming that the wiring underneath is at fault).

I checked the switch with my multimeter and it seems to be fine. The resistance between each pair combination of the three wire female plug leading into the wiring harness is zero so I am assuming that that is fine also.

Any further suggestions as to what to look for without actually removing the grips themselves?

I suppose I should check for 12 volts coming out of the wiring harness at that plug before I put things back together, right?

Maybe my problem is due to a bad connection and by unplugging and plugging things perhaps it will resolve itself. Will followup later.

I thought we went over this. If BOTH grips stop working at the same time, the problem is in the harness after the two grip wires come together or in the switch or in the bike wiring harness or fuse block.

If it is only one grip stopping at a time, the problem is in the grip or that grips wire.

Which is you symptom?

:dance:dance:dance

Well, yes, we did sort of go over this but at the time I had little idea of which wires might be the culprits. Thanks for letting me know about the orange wire, Lee; when I found the black and white connector with the orange, black and green/black wires I knew I was on the right track.

Now I am puzzled because I'm pretty sure both grips do not come on---so the fault is most likely in the wiring under the tank somewhere. I haven't checked for voltage at the plug yet so will do so 1st thing tomorrow when I get back to it. It's getting dark soon and I'm just about to start wrestling the airbox back in. :banghead

All is well now; also a heads-up on the LOW setting on K heated grips:

I couldn't find anything amiss under the tank but to play it safe I undid the dash panel and removed the grips switch. It was a bit grimy and showed some signs of age and corrosion so I cleaned it with CLR and then soaked it in a heavy spray of Inox.

I also rocked the switch back and forth a dozen times to help further clean the contacts inside and then reinstalled it in the dash.

A couple hours later after I had finished the other work I was doing I put the tank back on and fired her up.

The grips are working 100% on both high and low settings so I suspect it was merely down to some grimy contacts in the switch---big relief!:dance

One thing that I learned in searching for info on the grips is that the LOW setting uses a resistance wire that can get hot enough to melt the insulation---this can be a serious problem being that it's underneath the tank so it is advisable to just use the HIGH setting only.

This was news to me (read it on the motobricks site) and it's something to remember (especilally on our aging Ks).

Thanks again to 98Lee for his help on finding the grip wiring, too; now I know where to look if I ever have trouble again.

Back