• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1996 R1100 GS Noisy transmission

jimbobmw01

I have about 32,000 on this R1100GS and it runs and rides great. While riding the bike, the transmission is quiet and changes fine.

Recently, while moving it in the garage, i noticed a rattle while moving it. It occurred with the engine off, in first gear with the clutch pulled. When the bike is rolled, it makes a rattling noise. I checked with the bike on the center stand and rear wheel off the ground. In gear with the clutch pulled, I get the noise when the wheel rotates. Out of gear with the clutch out, no noise. Is this normal? I may have just never noticed it since I don't often move it this way.

Last edited:
I have about 32,000 on this R1100GS and it runs and rides great. While riding the bike, the transmission is quiet and changes fine.

Recently, while moving it in the garage, i noticed a rattle while moving it. It occurred with the engine off, in first gear with the clutch pulled. When the bike is rolled, it makes a rattling noise. I checked with the bike on the center stand and rear wheel off the ground. In gear with the clutch pulled, I get the noise when the wheel rotates. Out of gear with the clutch out, no noise. Is this normal? I may have just never noticed it since I don't often move it this way.

Out of gear should be the same, regardless of what you do with the clutch. I suspect that in gear with the clutch pulled would give you some gear noise, but I've never really tried or paid attention to it. Try it in other gears. It should get easier to turn the wheel by hand and the noise should change slightly as you go up the gears. If no gear is particularly noisier than the rest and you gear oil drains clean without a bunch of glitter in it or chips and shavings building up on the magnet, I'd tend not to worry about it. Maybe someone else can try this on their bike to give you a comparison. I won't be around mine again 'til Sunday.

Back