• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

This just in.....First view of MSP R1200RT

der verge

I think this is sharp. I am also glad it is not behind me. I cannot wait until these get resold.......
P82A0029.jpg

P82A0030.jpg

Nice to see the full face modular there, never understood how those guys felt safe in rayon and a half-helmet.

Nice! I saw one in action a couple weeks ago on I96 by Lansing. Also got a good look at one of the MSP RT's while it was being services at BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids. They custom fit a rear rack for his M4 with a magnetic lock release to secure it.

I cannot wait until these get resold.......

I am curious why you would want one?? When I was more active in the Harley community, there were always people who wanted ex-Police bikes for the "cool-factor". The vast majority, however, did not consider these good buys. While the bikes were always well maintained, the sometimes low mileage was not representative of light use. The operation time compared to the mileage was overproportionally high due to a lot of idle running. Let's face it, these are work bikes. Would you buy an ex-police car, if you are not one of the Blues Brothers??

In agreement...

with EMSimon. And when all the gagets come off, lots of unsightly holes/attachment points to fill.

?äh, interesting location of the helmet holder. :scratch

And BLUE? :rolleyes

So far I never watched for "official" vehicles in blue colors. Do they come in other colors, too?

/Guenther

And BLUE? :rolleyes

So far I never watched for "official" vehicles in blue colors. Do they come in other colors, too?

/Guenther

When I was in Michigan last month all the State Trooper cars I saw where that same blue, and they still use the single gumball light on top.

As a resident of Michigan (and the brother of a retired MSP sargent), I can confirm that the bike is painted in the proper MSP color. I'm looking forward to a (non-official) sighting of our new bikes. BTW, there was a thread earlier this year on the results of the MSP testing between the RT, Harley and (I think) Kawasaki.

with EMSimon. And when all the gagets come off, lots of unsightly holes/attachment points to fill.

I like blue.....
"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

I like blue.....
"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

Fix the cigarette lighter.

I like blue.....

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. HIT IT!

The Motorcycle Cop I Met The Other Day

I went to the store the other day. I was only in there for about 5 minutes, and when I came out there was a motorcycle cop writing a parking ticket. So I went up to him and said, "Come on, buddy, how about giving a guy a break?"
He ignored me and continued writing the ticket. So I called him a pencil-necked-geek.
He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having bald tires! So I called him a horse's behind.
He finished the second ticket and put it on the car with the first... then started writing a third ticket!
This went on for about 20 minutes. The more I abused him, the more tickets he wrote. I didn't care, my car was parked around the corner.

I am curious why you would want one?? When I was more active in the Harley community, there were always people who wanted ex-Police bikes for the "cool-factor". The vast majority, however, did not consider these good buys. While the bikes were always well maintained, the sometimes low mileage was not representative of light use. The operation time compared to the mileage was overproportionally high due to a lot of idle running. Let's face it, these are work bikes. Would you buy an ex-police car, if you are not one of the Blues Brothers??

Not all cop bikes are used by cops. Dealers involved in sales of large numbers of police motors use demonstrator models to sell bikes to police departments.

My 2002 was such a bike. Beaudry Motorsports (formerly in Post Falls, Idaho, now in Spokane, Washington building Kawasaki C-14 cop bikes) used my R1150RTP as their demo model, and trailered it around from police department to police department trying to sell motorcycles. When the twin-spark engine came out in 2004, my bike was yesterday's newspaper, and so it was sold to a private party with 3,000 miles on the odometer.

He rode it for 15,000 miles and in the process converted it from a cop bike to a Iron Butt Rally bike. He sold it with 18,000 miles to a guy who had a bunch of sport bikes. At some point, the front ABS ring got dented and the ABS brakes became "grabby". Prior owner never figured it out and sold the bike to me at 23,500 miles because he hated the "grabby" brakes.

She now has 79,000 miles on the odometer.

Not every RTP was beat to crap by a motor officer for 30-60,000 miles.

Not all cop bikes are in day-in day-out patrol use. Sure, there are plenty ex-CHP available with 107,000 miles on the odometer, but I bought a former police RT-P that was retired with 29,000 miles and I had every service record from that bike's city and the dealer they used. The only maintenance issues were tires and brakes and a coil or two. And just before selling it off, they put in a new clutch, so I figured that any risk to me was lessened quite a bit.

Also, I've ridden Harley and BMW police bikes. The Harleys always seemed to be real close to poterntial engine damage temps when at idle. I would never buy a Harley police bike without expecting to do major service and repair to it. It would have to be priced like a steal for me to consider it.

Back