• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fix a broken latch on a city bag? '95 K75

T

Tector

I just bought a used 1994 K75 and I love it. Aside from it being a great bike, it came with a set of BMW's so-called "city" saddle bags. But the latch that attaches the right bag to the bike is broken. Is it possible to fix that? Does anyone know where I would take it to get it fixed? I live in northeastern PA (Sayre). If necessary I'd consider buying a replacement bag, but I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative (besides, a new bag would probably mean a different key). Thanks.

But the latch that attaches the right bag to the bike is broken. Is it possible to fix that? Does anyone know where I would take it to get it fixed? Thanks.

What's "broken" about it?

The latch is the same as the latch for third generation Integral bags (if the city bags were made after 2/88).
If they were made before 2/88, they use the same latch as the first generation Integral bags.

They just pop rivet to the bag.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
I took a closer look at the broken latch tonight. It looks like a lost cause, as far as fixing it. And yes, it is riveted to the case. I'm hoping I can buy a replacement latch, and that someone (not me) with experience with a rivet gun can just replace the latch (and that I can get it to work with the same key as the other latches). Any ideas on who could do that kind of work? Is that something that a motorcycle or auto shop could do?

Tector (real name? We're friendly around here..)

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46057 - I added the info to your thread title. Since many issues are model/year specific - it's helpful to put this info in the thread title in the hope of attracting someone to open the thread who may have some useful info.

I've added it to your thread title. Please do so yourself in future posts to the tech sections.

Thanks for your cooperation!

So it is physically broken in half?

Your not giving us a lot to go on here other than your mechanical knowledge does not include knowing how to operate a $15 pop rivet gun.

The tumbler of your old latch can be installed in a replacement latch. So the key will remain the same.

You can buy the latch new from the dealer or used from the recyclers.
46 54 2 303 652 CASE SUSPENSION CATCH (from 02/88) $24.50

Broken Latch Replacement

PM me I have an extra latch with the lock cylinder removed i'd be willing to sell. Swapping the cylinder is easy

Harbor Freight has rivet guns with 100 rivets for $4.99; unbelievable but true! I was there an hour ago to get some larger rivets to fix my broken latch (the old aluminum rivets must have corroded to the point that they became weak).

Rivets are easy to install; just drill out the old ones first and pop in the new ones after.

I took some photos of the latch today; I didn't know how to describe what was going on with the latch, which is why I didn't try. I figured I'd just get photos up eventually. I pulled the cylinder from the latch (as you can see), and it looks like I'll be able to drill out the old rivets (as suggested) and attach a new latch, with the old cylinder, at the same riveting holes. So here's the picture.

Attachments

• DSC_0709.jpg
    DSC_0709.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 78
I took some photos of the latch today; I didn't know how to describe what was going on with the latch, which is why I didn't try. I figured I'd just get photos up eventually. I pulled the cylinder from the latch (as you can see), and it looks like I'll be able to drill out the old rivets (as suggested) and attach a new latch, with the old cylinder, at the same riveting holes. So here's the picture.

There are some parts MISSING from that latch.

Fix a broken latch on a city bag? '95 K75 FIXED!

Thanks to all who helped. KKeller, the latch arrived today. With the help of the local True Value store (they've assisted me many times in the past, and there's no Harbor Freight near me) I figured out what rivets I needed and bought some, along with a gun. Drilled out the old rivets, put in new ones, and now the bag attaches to the bike like it's supposed to. But the cylinder from the old latch (which works with my key) won't stay in the latch; I'm hoping the local locksmith can help me with that. And now, the next time my wife tells me I'm dumber than a rivet gun, I can justly tell her, "On the contrary, I'm every bit as smart as one!"

There should be a little flat wafer or protrusion on the back end of the lock. I just depressed the wafer, slid the lock in with the key inserted and rotated the lock until it quit turning then rotated it the opposite direction until it stopped turning again. I think they only lock in if the cylinder is oriented in the correct direction

Back