• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT Bushtec hitch installation question

kioolt

I have two sets of installation instructions for installing a Bushtec hitch onto my R1150RT. Both are supplied by Bushtec. The first set of instructions was sent by email about 1 week ago and the second set came with the R1150RT hardware kit that I bought from them. The emailed instructions do not mention installing the 3 hole bracket or even list it in the parts list. It is as if it doesn't exist. The instructions that came with the hardware kit says to install the 3 hole bracket on the hitch hoop. Can someone tell me more about how to install this bracket? Is it necessary?

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Bushtec hitch, but logic tells me that if a vendor sends a part in the kit, and the enclosed instructions say to install that part, then that is what I would plan on doing.

Now exactly how to install that part remains an open question, and I would call the vendor and ask them for more explicit instructions.

After further investigation and a phone call with another forum member here is what I have found. Bushtec support is sketchy this week because their techs are at a rally somewhere so I wasn't able to get support from them yet. Someone is suppose to call later. The bracket is not needed for my version of the hitch. The version of the hitch that I have has the bracket already welded onto it. This can be seen by looking at the picture on Bushtec's website of the R1150RT hitch. What is pictured on the site would need the bracket. The bracket would bolt into the two holes shown at the front of the hitch. I do not have what is pictured. What I have looks more like the hitch for the R1100RT. The bracket in question goes onto the control arm underneath the transmission. That is why I couldn't make any sense of how to mount the bracket to my hitch. Just to remind others, I bought the hitch used and got the hardware kit that containied the bracket from two different sources. Bushtec, who sent me the hardware kit apparently sent me a kit that would work with all of the hitches designed for the R1150RT and it included the bracket which I don't need.

Last edited:
Back