• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle/clutch cable adjustment

Olsensan

I currently own and have done all my maintenance on my 2002 R1150RT including FD removal, valve adjustment etc. Without sounding like a dimwit, how in the world are the throttle cables and clutch cables adjusted? I've read many procedures etc but hey, I'm a visual guy. I need pictures and movies would be even better. Its a simple procedure but I just can't get the procedure in my head. I need pictures and movies, anybody out there have one, maybe Paul?:banghead:dunno

The clutch cable is adjusted by turning the threaded adjuster under the little rubber boot right where it attaches at the top. The throttle cable has a similar threaded adjuster but much smaller diameter, also near the top of the cable under a rubber boot.

I assume the 2002 still had a cable for the clutch, but my R1150R -2003 - has a hydraulic clutcj. I
forget when that started.

I screwed up, the clutch is hydraulic. Where are the measurements made? That is the part that screws me up. Pictures?

You're overthinking this one. First, set the minimum possible slack at the lower cables. You want just enough to ensure the set screws are resting on the stops. You should be doing a throttle body synch at the same time. After those are set, adjust your throttle play at the handle bar. I think the spec is a few millimeters of twistgrip travel. I like zero, or as close to zero as I can get. I turn the adjuster until there is no slack. Then I turn the handlebars full lock one both ways to ensure the rpm doesn't change. Sometimes I have to loosen it slightly.

There it is! The manual does not say that, the amount of twist on the throttle. That says what the books don't. Thank you!:dance

Back