• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K100 abs

blackbeauty

Looking at a really nice K100 with low mileage. However, the ABS brakes aren't working. Is there a place that repairs the ABS pump? Or, can I just have them removed and use the disc brakes?
:lurk

More likely that it's the brain and not the modulators but one never knows without further diagnosis.

There is a fellow in Japan that repairs the brains for a lot less than a replacement costs and the other good news is that, yes, you can use the bike without the ABS if you decide to do so. Not necessary to remove things but probably better as it would save a bit of unnecessary weight.

Is the ABS light blinking or staying on all the time? How do you know it's not working?

It could be just a simple fix if it's due to a low battery or something easy to reset or fix.

You can remove the ABS bits and, with a few new hoses, you can have an ABS-free bike if you wish.

I did that recently.

My ABS bits are on the market if you decide to fix yours.

You can buy an ABS-I tester at Radio Shack for $3.50, and an ABS reset tool for an additional .35 cents :)
abs_led_01.jpg

abs_led_02.jpg

Directions for pulling codes and resetting the ABS:
http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110

(The tool for resetting the ABS is an 20" or so length of vinyl jacketed wire with both ends stripped about 1/2" - I found a stray piece of 16g wire in my parts bin and added a alligator clip at one end to make it easier to attach to ground.)

You can easily buy the cans used at a parts recycler like kbikeparts.com or re-psycle.com, or usually find them pretty cheap on eBay. If you get the code #7 there is a guy in Japan who repairs ABS-I brains for a decent price.

If the ABS "Brain" is not working, I would remove it so that it does not do something stupid. A forum search will enlighten you...

Although I prefer to keep my working ABS on my bike---if you opt for removing yours you will be able to mount an Ohlins shock that has the cannister a lot more easily---one possible side benefit of doing so. Just a thought...

You haven't answered my earlier question, though; are the ABS lights on or blinking?

It might be a very easy fix as Ted has pointed out above.

K100 ABS brakes not working

Looking at a really nice K100 with low mileage. However, the ABS brakes aren't working. Is there a place that repairs the ABS pumpg? Or, can I just have them removed and use the disc brakes?
:lurk

I know that the brakes will still work when the ABS has been turned off but the fluid system is integral to the overall system so it would be a project to eliminate the ABS modules from the system. How do you know that the ABS is not working; is it because of the indicator light on the instrument cluster or something else? I've had 4 BMW's with ABS and never had a problem so I have had no experience to draw on.

Back