• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any problems with the 2013 K1600 GT?

• Thread starter billionairemind4005@gmail.com
  • Start date
B

billionairemind4005@gmail.com

The reason for my question is two fold:

1. I have an 08 GT that's been stored in Texas for the last two years,that has had several issues ranging from a BROKEN center stand,to a fuel sensor that FAILED and left me stranded for a couple hours in Fort Worth on I-20 in FREEZING rain...grrr.

2. In cold weather,the bike would be DEAD after sitting outside for a couple of hours-ALOT!

3. On two occasions,the bike just DIDN'T start at all. After talking with my dealer/mechanic, he said " it was due to the alarm system draining power with the bike off." after about an hour,it just started right up.

4. Being NEW to BMW at the time,and hearing all the RAVE reviews from the cycle magazines,and after about a year of research,I decided to take the plunge. I must admit- when it WORKS, there's NOTHING better! I came from the DIRT and a 1979 Honda XL125 30 years hence to the K Bike being my starter street machine 4 years ago-WOW!I recently ordered the new K Bike,but am having SERIOUS reservations due to my past Issues. Any inputs are sincerely appreciated.

R,

BT

Hope not!... I just picked mine up last Thursday from Hermy's. Road it to Lake George over the weekend...

Hopefully it runs as solid as my F800GS has....I can tell you this though.. Its an AWESOME Bike to ride. Really Enjoyed it. :)

I just got my 1600gt, 2012 model demo bike, super bike
It appears from other posters, that it likes tires and rear brake pads, may have something to do with superb handling
Think wiz wheel on left grip is a little to complex
Very comfortable even with stock seat a first from bmw

:thumb:twirl:twirl:twirl I'm pleased to hear this bit of POSITIVITY pertaining to the new K1600. The other K-Bike forum has given me pre-buyers remorse even after my test ride a few weeks ago,which after that, I could NEVER ride my 08 Gt again. I've decided to go ahead with my purchase and take a POSITIVE spin on things. Thanks Roadkill for the words of wisdom. Stay SAFE and congrats with your new bike!

R,

BT

Thanks for the insight pilot! Many SAFE miles...and for that left grip thingy,somethin' else to toy with in our down-time.:brad

Thanks to you both form you your input!;)

R,

BT

I don't think you will get a lot of feedback from guys with a 2013 K1600GT.
The 2012s had a few reported issues: Rear tire wear and water pump failures are two that come to mind. Mine has neither one of the problems.
It is an awesome bike and I love it. The only downside is, that it is a really really heavy bike to manhandle, i.e.: push around....But mostly I let the engine do the work, and then there is nothing that compares.;) I own four other six-cylinders from past motorcycle eras and it compares favourably:thumb
I also own a modern performance racer and I am amazed how well the GT stacks up to this one. Especially in the roll-on perfromance category.

:thumb:twirl:twirl:twirl I'm pleased to hear this bit of POSITIVITY pertaining to the new K1600. The other K-Bike forum has given me pre-buyers remorse even after my test ride a few weeks ago,which after that, I could NEVER ride my 08 Gt again. I've decided to go ahead with my purchase and take a POSITIVE spin on things. Thanks Roadkill for the words of wisdom. Stay SAFE and congrats with your new bike!

R,

BT

That is GREAT... Hope you enjoy it as much as I am... I have 863 miles since last week... My Only bummer is Hermy's cant get me in for 1st service till next week..

So I am doing it myself Tonight.. Going to be nice this weekend.. I want to RIDE!

I picked up my '13 GT about 2 weeks ago and have 1200 miles on it. I've had no problems so far. I read about the water pump issues and tire wear but I can say this is the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. It combines power, comfort, and handling flawlessly.

Huh?

Why is this topic, K1600s, posted under the Flying Brick section? Don't you guys know us Brick-lovers are too poor to be buying those mega-buck bikes.

Comparing a K1200GT to a K1600GT is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, wouldn't you think?

Back