• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Low seat/extra low seat question with a twist...

pianomanla

After a great deal of research here, other forums, and discussions with other riders, I decided it was important to me to maintain the ESA features of my RT and go for the extra low seat to achieve the best fit for my personal RT. After riding it now for a few thousand miles, I am glad that I did just that during this time of getting to know the nature of the bike as the reach to the ground is not "flat foot" but enough that I have only once or twice felt as though I was not in complete control of the bike at a stop.

I have put a few 250+ mile days with no real discomfort with the thin padding of the extra low seat. I do however, feel like I am missing out on a very nice feature that was on the bike originally with the heated stock seat that was not available with the extra low seat.

My question here is

1.) if anyone has had any positive experience with aftermarket seat guys in providing a heated seat option that maintains the 30.1" seat height of the extra low seat?

2.) Does anyone have any experience with comparing the extra low to the low seat as far as reach is concerned? (the local dealer does not have any low seat models in stock, and doesn't order the bikes that way, so there is no way to compare there.)

3.) A&S Cycle has a heated seat pad as an aftermarket that I have considered, but I am thinking that it would add at least .5" to the seat height, which would be roughly the same difference between the Extra-low seat and the low seat.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I love heated seats in a car/truck and went to a lot of trouble to install in my daily driver. But M/C? Started a ride last week at 32* F in jeans and cheap long underwear, tall windshield, heated grips. Think several body parts would freeze out before noticing my butt getting cold.

That heated seat makes a huge difference when its cold out, and is the one thing I really miss having on my RT as I went with the low model as well. I'm going to check out the heat option listed above as I think it's OK for comfort, just miss the heat! I did add an alaska butt pad and that does help keep you cooler in the summer heat, but doesn't seem to do much when its cold.

Let's face it, we have a lot of blood flow down in that area, and a heated seat keeps it all very warm. Never needed any type of electric wear with my old K1200GT.

Corbin makes a 1 piece extra low seat that is the same height as the OEM low seat (not the low suspension bike but the low seat on the regular height bike).
I have it on my 12 RT and it is great - also $200 cheaper than their standard height 2 piece seats. It fits perfectly on the standard height bike bike after you remove a couple of seat brackets for the standard 2 piece seat.

Back