• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another RT Final Drive Bites the Dust '07 R1200RT

glurkus

Just found out My 07 RT with 31000 miles needs the final drive rebuilt. After new tires, I noticed a vibration in the bike that was not there before, mostly feeling it in the foot pegs.
I had just gone a couple of miles from home when I could smell burning brakes. I pulled over and found the rear brake and caliper too hot to touch. Thinking my rear brake was locking up, I put the bike on the center stand and put in it gear. The rear wheel wobbled about an 1/8th.
I called the Dealer and they said the final drive was out. No oil leaking from FD and all periodic service was done. The good news is that BMW will pick up most of the tab.

that's nice to hear

is that usually the case for bmw to help out with the bucks?
i'm thinking that if all service was done by the dealer that might affect their decision to help.

Last edited:
Good info

If nothing else, you've provided other RT owners with valuable clues on what goes wrong when a final drive is going bad. I didn't know about the brake smell/heat, and I wouldn't have thought to put it up on the center stand in gear.
Thanks, hope BMW takes good care of you!
-Scott

I have a couple of questions...
1 - Why is the dealer helping with the cost since your bike is well past the warranty period? I hope the rest of us get service like that.

2 - Are you sure the final drive was serviced every time it was required? I wonder if the older style FD was serviced since it was harder for the mechanic to perform. On my ST1300 it was so easy to do that I almost always changed the FD oil when I was doing an engine oil change.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

"Why is the dealer helping with the cost since your bike is well past the warranty period?"

The service manager told me that because of the low miles BMW will pay for the parts and most of the labor. We'll see if that holds true when I get my bike back. I have also been a long time customer at the Beaver Dam dealership, and that might be part of it

"Are you sure the final drive was serviced every time it was required?"

I never physically saw it done, but I have the service records that says it was.

Despite the vitriol often thrown at the mothership, BMWNA is actually pretty good at covering most or all of out of warranty repairs as "customer good will" on things that fail when they shouldn't (e.g., at too low a mileage or something that just wouldn't be expected to fail).

When you start to get out to things like a 100K mile final drive failure, you're not likely to get coverage -- at some point you have to say "it didn't unexpectedly fail, it wore out."

So, while there is a certain amount of subjectiveness to it, and your dealer's interaction with the BMWNA regional rep on your behalf can make a difference, on the whole NA's are pretty good (better than most) about out of warranty coverage in appropriate cases.

Do they always get it right? No -just ask the guy who gets turned doen for "good will" assistance. But IMO, they get it right more often than wrong.

glurkus,

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I've added that info to your thread title. Please include it in thread titles for future threads to the tech forums.

To answer why BMW is kicking in some $$$? Simple answer - good dealer who values their customer. As Paul Glaves has pointed out many times, the basic decisions on customer assistance for a repair is done at the dealer level. If the dealer feels that the customer should be helped, typically BMW backs them up. If the dealer doesn't think so, or fails to pursue this path - BMW backs them up. It helps if the dealer also has a good relationship with Motorrad-US.

In this case it sounds as if glurkus (real name? I'm sure it isn't James Thurber).. is a good, possibly repeat customer of the dealership, and he likely had all his service performed there. The dealer may also see glurkus as a potential new bike repeat customer, which helps influence BMWs backing for the repair.

For bikes out of warranty - it seems often BMW pays for the parts and sometimes splits the labor cost of the repair with the dealer.

Moral of the story is - "more flies with honey" or stay friends with your dealer and the dealer's service manager... even when out of warranty.

It's know as "Good Will". A lot of manufacturers have a policy for such things. If your a good customer or at least someone who maintains their motorcycle or car as required you are more likely to have a dealer and manufacturer step up. It is very common if it's a component that has had some know dependability problems anyways.

If you're spending $200 - $500.00 for scheduled services, buy accessories and other items from the dealer they will usually always try to facilitate a "Good Will " claim or get something to help out.

Those of you who buy the bike from a dealer and they never hear from you until something happens like that will find it difficult to get assistance.

I love my BMW and the dealer I bought it from is awesome and prices everything fairly. I know some dealers give you a reason to not come back which is really unfortunate.

GOOD Dealers:)

Its the best clue. I do all my own serivices and my dealer still treats me swell:). Had a '95R1100GS years ago, same dealer and the overhead CAMS got warranty by BMW at 85000miles. Bought a lot of BMWs, same dealer, so maybe they stood up for me. No doubt. Randy:thumb:usa

2008 R1200RT Final Drive Failure

About 300 miles from home on Monday my FD failed. Heavy oil all over rear brakes and rear tire. Very lucky I did not end up in a ditch, I was one right hand turn away from disaster. My bike is sitting at the dealer and awaiting resolution from BMW. I have a 2008 with 38000 miles. It has been dealer serviced with all recommended service at recomended intervals. I am hoping for similar assistance from BMW. The part is $1900.

I learned a couple of things. First, just before it barfed, I was in some rather tight twisties, going down hill. A few times I would tap the brakes to scrub off speed before entering the corner, I would notice that the back brake did not release for a split second after I released the brake. In hindsight I believe it was binding due to the play in rear wheel. If that ever happens again I'll surely stop and check.

Lastly I learned that my AAA RV Plus only covers 100 miles of towing. AAA took me closer, my brother took me even closer, then my bride picked me up. I need a better towing plan, but can't find anything better. A Uhaul truck would have only been $200 to get home, I'm wondering if they have tie down points in them...... anyone know?

BTW, towing cost is $3/mile.

Last edited:
The dealers say the final drive on my 2008 rt is not a serviceable unit. I'm not defending that statement, but that is what they are saying.

Supposedly, tools are not available.

Seems strange that they can rebuild an '07 but not an '08 final drive. $1900 sounds about right fora new unit. It is about $600 to have it rebuilt. BMW won't pay for a new unit on my bike but apparently they'll pay for the rebuild.

The dealers say the final drive on my 2008 rt is not a serviceable unit. I'm not defending that statement, but that is what they are saying.

Supposedly, tools are not available.

same unit, only change was the drain plug location in the 07 -'08 timeline...some shops do not have the tools...when the drive first came out our local did not either.
The bearing is "only" about $120 , A complete new unit is quoted at $1900 as mentioned.
The biggest issue is getting the spider off the spline...some here have heated it and not needed any special tools:scratch

Wonder if they were saying the damage made it not serviceable? Still fuzzy:dunno

Lastly I learned that my AAA RV Plus only covers 100 miles of towing. AAA took me closer, my brother took me even closer, then my bride picked me up. I need a better towing plan, but can't find anything better. ...

Checkout the Allstate RV Club. $99/year and they tow to the nearest facility capable of making the repair.

Wonder if they were saying the damage made it not serviceable? Still fuzzy:dunno

Look at your favorite version of the parts fiche for the FD. Note that the gear set is not listed as a separate part on any of the diagrams. You can buy the housing, the bearings, shims, seals, flange, etc., but not the gear set. Perhaps this is an oversight. But I think it's been that way since the start of the big hole FD. If the gears are trashed it looks like a new FD is BMWs preferred solution. :dunno

Glurkus, my final drive on my 08 RT went at 50,000 km - identical to yours. I had no leaking oil, no brake issues, no other symptoms, other than increased vibration which I chalked up to a cupped front tire. I don't use the dealer for service, but they and BMW Canada apparently stepped up and covered one third the cost, so it cost me about $1900 parts and labour for a new unit. The new final drive is the newest design with the breather on top and a separate fill hole so the speed sensor hole does not have to be used. Whether the newer unit will be any better remains to be seen. I am not optomistic. My 08 is my third BMW and I have now gone through two final drives and two drive shafts. When I am next ready to buy, unless BMW has got their act together, I will not be purchasing a beemer.

Anoother final drive bites the dust 07 R1200RT

Yesterday I joined the Final Drive Failure Club. '07 R1200 RT, 46,315 miles. I was en route to my trusted dealer for what I believed was a tire problem. Vibration which I thought was from tire cupping. I had check the rear wheel several times for play at the 12-6 and 9-3 position. None noticed. No oil leakage or excessive heat in FD unit. About 10 miles from dealership heard a very brief grinding sound followed immediately by slight swaying of rear end of bike. Very similar to the sensation of a tire going down. At a safe pull off, I check the rear wheel again and there was 1/8 inch play easily detected. Bike hauled to dealer. Diagnosed as failed crown bearing. Repairs underway.

Buck Lemme
Vienna, Illinois

Back